Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ofniw  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2010 17:34:14(UTC)
ofniw

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi,

Many thanks to Andrey and the team for SMath Studio. You did a wonderful job.

I would like to add to the box of ideas an additional request. Let me explain the background.

When having mathematical problems which include solving of linear least squares proplems, like
y=A*x
where A is a complex valued matrix, x and y are complex valued vectors. A and y is known and the objective is to find a solution for x. Normaly the system is overdetermined then A is not a square matrix. The solution normaly given is
x=(AT*A)^-1 * AT * y
where AT is the complex conjugate of the transpose of A. (AT*A^) is a square matrix and can be inverted. However this solution is known as being sensitive to a bad conditoned matrix A. Unfortunately in practice this is often the case. With e.g. Matlab, there is a function called "pinv", which inverts non square matrices using a singular value decomposition (SVD) to achieve a numerically stable result.

I would think, having the SVD and the pinv could greatly enhance the possibilities of the Smath software in the direction of linear algebra.

Please comment.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.