Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jojothehobo  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2016 23:52:41(UTC)
jojothehobo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi:
I want to install the unofficial SMath with Maxima on a USB drive. I have .Net libraries installed in my laptop and desktop. I use Windows 7, 64 bit. The Enfuhrung is in German so I miss a few of the fine points that I need to know?

1. One question is whether I can just unpack and install on an external USB thumb drive and run the application, or whether I need to install it on the host machine, either the desktop or laptop since that is where .Net is actually installed?

2. Also there are two applications in the folder: an SMathStudio_desktop.exe and an SMathMatrixEditor v1.2.exe. In what order do I install them? Also, will the matrix editor become part of the SMathStudio program?

3.Any other installation tips?
Any help welcomed.

Thanks, Jojo Wonder

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2016 15:45:10(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1340 time(s) in 879 post(s)
Hello Jojo,

Originally Posted by: jojothehobo Go to Quoted Post
1. One question is whether I can just unpack and install on an external USB thumb drive and run the application, or whether I need to install it on the host machine, either the desktop or laptop since that is where .Net is actually installed?

There's no installation. Unpack the files where you want, if .NET framework 2.0/3.5 is installed in your OS then SMathStudio_desktop.exe should be able to run.

Originally Posted by: jojothehobo Go to Quoted Post
2. Also there are two applications in the folder: an SMathStudio_desktop.exe and an SMathMatrixEditor v1.2.exe. In what order do I install them? Also, will the matrix editor become part of the SMathStudio program?

No installation -> no installation order.
Matrix editor is an useful tool provided by a member of this community (Peter), it is not part of the official package (and AFAIK sources are not available).

Edited by user 21 January 2016 15:50:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 21/01/2016(UTC)
Offline jojothehobo  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2016 01:38:58(UTC)
jojothehobo

Hi Davide;
I'm not sure if my quick reply made it in to the forum. My question is what it means to use the Maxima plugin via a socket connection. Any help appreciated but I am aware that this might not be the best place to ask. If there is a better place please let me know.
Thanks
Jojo
Offline jojothehobo  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2016 02:54:53(UTC)
jojothehobo

Davide:
I am pleased to reply to my own question. I found a link in an Smath handbook on how to set up the Maxima extension in SMathStudio. It worked, hooray!!

Basically you open Insert>Maxima>Settings in SMathStudio and enter the path to bin\maxima.bat. After clicking on settings a window opens with two choices to click. One is "Search for maxima.bat . That is useless. The other is select folder. The folder is the Maxima folder in the unpacked SMathStudio program.

In my computer it was

C:\Users\myname\Downloads\Smath Studio\2014 11 16 SMath and Maxima\Maxima-5.34.1\bin\maxima.bat

If you enter the full path it doesn't work. After some trial and error I entered the abbreviated path

Maxima-5.34.1\bin\maxima.bat

That did it.

I even downloaded a couple of tutorials on socket programming. They mostly had to do with client/server network applications and made my eyes glaze over. There is also a 9 page thread on this forum on installing Maxima with SMathStudio. That is very confusing since the posters all had different solutions and most of them didn't work.

The solution I found is much simpler. I hope this helps some other people.

all the best
Jojo

thanks 1 user thanked jojothehobo for this useful post.
on 22/01/2016(UTC)