Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 30 October 2010 22:27:21(UTC)

Groups: Guests

FORUM USE

1) I would like to make feature requests as a guest (without registering), can you add that functionality

2) I would like to quote .sm files on forum, but there are no instructions.
Tried to upload to live as omorr stated and got an error message in russian.
Then I typed equations in live, but still did not know how to quote them here.

MATRIX MATH FEATURES

3) defined k:=0..4, x(t):=exp(i*w*k*t), and got x(t)->exp([0 i*t*w ... 4*i*t*w])
what I wanted was x(t)->[1 exp(i*t*w) ... exp(4*i*t*w)]
Can SMath be improved to allow this so programming code to define each vector element can be avoided
perhaps: x(t):=[exp(i*w*k*t)] or some other delimiter to indicate vector definition

4) defined h:=0..2, j:=0..1, x(t1,t2):=exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2), and got x(t1,t2)->x(t1,t2)
what I wanted was x(t1,t2)->[1 ... exp(i*2*t1), exp(i*t2) ... exp(i*2*t1+i*t2)]
Can SMath be improved to allow this so programming code to define each matrix element can be avoided
perhaps: x(t1,t2):=[exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2)] or some other delimiter (such as the insert matrix icon) to indicate matrix definition

5) defined h:=0..2, j:=0..1, a[h,j:=exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2), and got a->a and a[h,j->a[(0 1 2),(0 1)
what I wanted was a->[1 ... exp(i*2*t1), exp(i*t2) ... exp(i*2*t1+i*t2)]
In this case, subscripts should be allowed to be defined as a range and imply that a matrix is being defined
In other cases, subscript ranges should be allowed to imply that a submatrix is being extracted from a matrix already defined
This shortcut eliminates need to define each matrix element by use of programming code and loop constructs
Can SMath be improved so subscripts can be used this way (this would solve point 3) and 4) above)
If it can be done, SMath will outdo every other matrix math software on the planet

6) defined g(t):=exp(i*t), l(t):=g(t)^2, and got l(t)->exp(i*t)^2
what I wanted was l(t)->exp(i*2*t)
Can SMath be improved so it understands how to simplify these situations more effectively

Thank you for your efforts.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

#2 Posted : 31 October 2010 00:26:09(UTC)

Found Math tags instructions on wiki and got garbled mess when I pasted an equation between the math expression delimiters (from the button [BB/]). Don't know what is going wrong. I did use lang=eng switch and still garbled.
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2010 00:56:34(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,
Guest wrote:
FORUM USE

1) I would like to make feature requests as a guest (without registering), can you add that functionality

Do not see the point here, sorry. Why is it important to remain Guest?
Guest wrote:

2) I would like to quote .sm files on forum, but there are no instructions.
Tried to upload to live as omorr stated and got an error message in russian.
Then I typed equations in live, but still did not know how to quote them here.

Still do not understand, sorry. Have you read the
Notes on using the Forum?
Guest wrote:

MATRIX MATH FEATURES

3) defined k:=0..4, x(t):=exp(i*w*k*t), and got x(t)->exp([0 i*t*w ... 4*i*t*w])
what I wanted was x(t)->[1 exp(i*t*w) ... exp(4*i*t*w)]
Can SMath be improved to allow this so programming code to define each vector element can be avoided
perhaps: x(t):=[exp(i*w*k*t)] or some other delimiter to indicate vector definition

x(t)←line(for(k,range(0,4),el(x,k+1)←e^{i*w*k*t}),x,2,1) x(t)—mat(1,e^{i*w*t},e^{2*i*w*t},e^{3*i*w*t},e^{4*i*w*t},5,1)
Guest wrote:

4) defined h:=0..2, j:=0..1, x(t1,t2):=exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2), and got x(t1,t2)->x(t1,t2)
what I wanted was x(t1,t2)->[1 ... exp(i*2*t1), exp(i*t2) ... exp(i*2*t1+i*t2)]
Can SMath be improved to allow this so programming code to define each matrix element can be avoided
perhaps: x(t1,t2):=[exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2)] or some other delimiter (such as the insert matrix icon) to indicate matrix definition

x(t.1,t.2)←line(n←1,for(j,range(0,1),for(h,range(0,2),line(el(x,n)←e^{i*h*el(t,1)+i*j*t.2},n←n+1,2,1))),x,3,1) x(t.1,t.2)—mat(1,e^{i*el(t,1)},e^{2*i*el(t,1)},e^{i*t.2},e^{i*(t.2+el(t,1))},e^{i*(t.2+2*el(t,1))},6,1)
Guest wrote:

5) defined h:=0..2, j:=0..1, a[h,j:=exp(i*h*t1+i*j*t2), and got a->a and a[h,j->a[(0 1 2),(0 1)
what I wanted was a->[1 ... exp(i*2*t1), exp(i*t2) ... exp(i*2*t1+i*t2)]
In this case, subscripts should be allowed to be defined as a range and imply that a matrix is being defined
In other cases, subscript ranges should be allowed to imply that a submatrix is being extracted from a matrix already defined
This shortcut eliminates need to define each matrix element by use of programming code and loop constructs
Can SMath be improved so subscripts can be used this way (this would solve point 3) and 4) above)
If it can be done, SMath will outdo every other matrix math software on the planet

for(j,range(0,1),for(h,range(0,2),el(a,h+1,j+1)←e^{i*h*el(t,1)+i*j*t.2})) a—mat(1,e^{i*t.2},e^{i*el(t,1)},e^{i*(t.2+el(t,1))},e^{2*i*el(t,1)},e^{i*(t.2+2*el(t,1))},3,2)
Guest wrote:

6) defined g(t):=exp(i*t), l(t):=g(t)^2, and got l(t)->exp(i*t)^2
what I wanted was l(t)->exp(i*2*t)

g(t)←e^{i*t} l(t)←g(t)^2 l(t)—e^{2*i*t}
Guest wrote:

Can SMath be improved so it understands how to simplify these situations more effectively

Here are the SMath examples how to perform these tasks. I do not know how this could be made simpler and more understandable. Any ideas?

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 31 October 2010 01:04:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2010 01:02:55(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
Guest wrote:
Found Math tags instructions on wiki and got garbled mess when I pasted an equation between the math expression delimiters (from the button [BB/]). Don't know what is going wrong. I did use lang=eng switch and still garbled.

Try to QUOTE the above example with SMath MATH tags and to see what is in the MATH tag. The contents is copyed from SMath math region.

Regards,
Radovan
#5 Posted : 31 October 2010 01:53:31(UTC)

Thank you omorr for your explanations. I need to clarify a few points.

1) I have about a hundred web accounts already, each with a password. Can't keep adding them onto my list. In addition, I try to use the same small list of names because many different names becomes unmanageable. Every time I use one of my names and its password, it opens me up to being observed and profiled. I prefer privacy and identity safety if possible. Better to have access without names and passwords if possible. Since guest is allowed in Conversation area, don't see why not in Feature Request area (so I don't have to use Conversation area improperly).

2) I did read the notes on quoting smath. I get garbled quotes (yes I use lang=eng). Something is wrong even though I do what it says. I use Ubuntu Lucid and firefox. Does that make a difference? I can't figure out what is wrong.

3) thank you for the code, it is a vector version and precursor to 4)

4) this is supposed to be a matrix with 2 columns as you have done in 5). But the code is good. Thank you.

5) this is my primary point and shows how if subscripts are not simple integers, but rather index ranges, we can define the elements of a matrix of functions WITHOUT any FOR loops or programming code of any kind. This is conceptually simpler than the code and is a more direct presentation of a mathematical definition. In addition, using subscripts with index ranges, we can extract a submatrix directly from a previously defined matrix, again WITHOUT any FOR loops and without using the less elegant submatrix function. The presentation is both conceptually and visually simpler and cleaner. Please read the text in 5) from my original post. I say this in a slightly different way.

6) I just tried your solution and get my same result. I am using .89-8 on Ubuntu. Why is yours working and mine not?

By the way, I am very impressed with the incredible depth of talent and intellect of the folks on this website. Andrey is phenomenal. Omorr is amazing. The SMath community are all highly skilled. Hats off to all of you.
#6 Posted : 31 October 2010 02:05:27(UTC)

g(t)←e^{i*t}

I copied it from your web post (from my firefox web browser) and it totally worked when I quoted it here in the forum. But when I pasted it in SMath on my computer, I got a nonworking expression with extra characters.

Now, taking the correct expression from my SMath and quoting, I get

g(t)—exp(i*t)

The garbled part is obviously ignored so all you see is g(t).

I believe something is wrong with my SMath, even though I have the latest one.
Offline omorr  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2010 10:02:20(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
Guest wrote:
1) I have about a hundred web accounts already, each with a password. Can't keep adding them onto my list. In addition, I try to use the same small list of names because many different names becomes unmanageable. Every time I use one of my names and its password, it opens me up to being observed and profiled. I prefer privacy and identity safety if possible. Better to have access without names and passwords if possible. Since guest is allowed in Conversation area, don't see why not in Feature Request area (so I don't have to use Conversation area improperly).

I understand now, thank you. It depends on Andrey and he will respond to your question as soon as he can.
Guest wrote:
2) I did read the notes on quoting smath. I get garbled quotes (yes I use lang=eng). Something is wrong even though I do what it says. I use Ubuntu Lucid and firefox. Does that make a difference? I can't figure out what is wrong.

It is important that you mentioned Linux. I know there were some problems on Linux, Mono and fonts but can not help you here. I am using Windows version. I suppose that all the problems you mentioned are connected with Linux version and hope that some of the Linux users will answer to your question.
Guest wrote:
5) this is my primary point and shows how if subscripts are not simple integers, but rather index ranges, we can define the elements of a matrix of functions WITHOUT any FOR loops or programming code of any kind. This is conceptually simpler than the code and is a more direct presentation of a mathematical definition. In addition, using subscripts with index ranges, we can extract a submatrix directly from a previously defined matrix, again WITHOUT any FOR loops and without using the less elegant submatrix function. The presentation is both conceptually and visually simpler and cleaner. Please read the text in 5) from my original post. I say this in a slightly different way.

Yes I understand. Avoiding loops are welcome and I agree with that. I just wanted to note that we are not able to do that in SMath, at the moment, and to give you the code how to solve your problems. I am just a SMath user, not a developer and I think that your suggestions will depend on the SMath way of working and if this could be realised depends on Andrey.

Thank you for your kind words and for using SMath Good

Regards,
Radovan
Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2010 10:06:09(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
Guest wrote:
g(t)←e^{i*t}

I copied it from your web post (from my firefox web browser) and it totally worked when I quoted it here in the forum. But when I pasted it in SMath on my computer, I got a nonworking expression with extra characters.

Now, taking the correct expression from my SMath and quoting, I get

g(t)—exp(i*t)

The garbled part is obviously ignored so all you see is g(t).

I believe something is wrong with my SMath, even though I have the latest one.

As mentioned before, I suppose that the Linux users can help you out here.

Regards,
Radovan