Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2010 18:56:01(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I wrote

x:=1
x:=2
x=2

then I grabbed the second line and moved it to the top:

x=2

looks like the variable doesn't get redefined. A bug or a feature?

WHOA! then I grabbed the third line and moved it to the top:

x=2

It shouldn't know what the x value is before its definition, should it? Or am I whongly stuck in Mathcad philosophy?

Konrad

Edited by user 26 October 2010 19:00:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2010 20:22:08(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Konrad,

It seems you set Calculation=>Auto calculation Off (unchecked). Check that out. Made it On (checked).

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2010 20:56:33(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

Hi Radovan
That was at work, auto calc was on, even hitting F9 didn't help. Now at home, it works alright. The difference is windows 7 (64 bit) at work and windows XP (32 bit) at home. Both portable version, unstable. I may investigate it further should anyone be interested.
Konrad
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2010 21:21:05(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

I have played around with this. This happens on XP as well, when I move things by clicking them and then using arrow keys on the keyboard. When I drag and drop them with the mouse, everything is OK. Looks like moving selected objects with arrow key event is not handled properly. Smath Live has similar problem, with mouse drag and drop. Radovan, can you confirm it?
Konrad

Edited by user 26 October 2010 21:28:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2010 23:24:02(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Konrad,

It seems you are right. I can confirm this as well. Moving regions with the arrow keys will produce the situation you explained - the recalculation will not be performed until we press F9, differently than moving with the mouse.

One another thing is problematic. When you move the selected region with the arrow keys up (not with the mouse) above some other regions (not with the mouse), then enter key below this moved region will not produce additional empty lines and will not move all the regions down (only some of them), backspace and delete will not delete empty lines and move the regions up (only some of them). Similar situation would be when you move the regions with the arrow keys down, below some other regions. I think that Andrey is struggling with this and I think this is connected with recently introduced collapsed regions.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 27 October 2010 09:02:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2010 02:32:03(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Thank you. This will be fixed in SMath Studio 0.90.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2010 11:14:21(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

That's great, Andrey, thank you. Would it be easily done for you to somehow (optionally) mark redefinitions of a variable, like it is in Mathcad? It can underscore a definition with a green wavy line when it is redefined. It helps very much in finding errors in engineering calculations.

All the best
Konrad
Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2010 13:07:43(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Konrad,

I think that is a matter of taste and I personally do not like those green waves. In SMath you can hoover the region with the definition operator ( := ) and see how the variable, function was defined in a form of tooltip. Moreover, you can use Dynamic Assistance and examine what is defined and how. These nice features are not present in Mathcad.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2010 14:15:32(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

Radovan,
I'm in pressure vessels. The document (a stress design report) needs to calculate similar things many times, for example bolts for different flanges. Say, I define diameter of the bolt at the flange A and check stresses, in the next chapter I define diameter of the bolt for the flange B. Because these flanges can vary in size and pressure, bolt diameters will be different. That's alright. But often in the third chapter, I need to use the bolt diameter to calculate something different. Now if I define them with the same name, I have a problem, good if I spot it at all. That's why some signaling of redefinition is very useful in tracking errors. In engineering, consequencies of a stupid error can be dangerous. In fact, the best thing about it is that you can turn it off when you don't need it, but sometimes you really do. Engineers are not the best mathematicians in the world, they need a bit of foolproofness sometimes :-)
Konrad
Offline omorr  
#10 Posted : 27 October 2010 16:12:27(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Konrad,

There are situations when you need to copy some regions from one page to another. If I understood you well, this might be the case when some sort of indication of redefining variables, functions etc. would be very useful. I agree with you that this situations need some sort of consideration regarding the variable redefinition. I just do not like the way Mathcad is doing that.

Regards,
Radovan

Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#11 Posted : 27 October 2010 16:25:04(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

Radovan,
I don't like it either, but I use it whenever I need it. And switch off before printing- I don't want it on the paper. In a document more than a 100 pages long, it's really hard to find errors of this nature, especially when there are many hundreds or thousands of different variables defined all over the place. Yes, you're right, it's mostly when I copy/paste bits and bobs between pages or different documents.
Konrad
Offline omorr  
#12 Posted : 27 October 2010 16:32:40(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Konrad,

I think we already discussed this issue on the Forum. I am also convinced that Andrey will find some way to resolve this problem. We just need some patience Good

Regards,
Radovan
Offline Konrad Anikiel  
#13 Posted : 27 October 2010 17:52:05(UTC)
Konrad Anikiel

Man

Sure, just expressing my interest :-)
Konrad