Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheWizEd  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2010 00:54:19(UTC)
TheWizEd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
A little something I put together to help myself see the functions and units of SMath Studio.

Units_Functions
Ed
thanks 2 users thanked TheWizEd for this useful post.
on 17/07/2010(UTC),  on 20/07/2010(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline maweilian  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2010 01:00:42(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
TheWizEd wrote:
A little something I put together to help myself see the functions and units of SMath Studio.

Units_Functions

This is very good. It would be great if you could help improve the wiki by adding some of the information you have compiled. Applicable pages would be:

Units
Functions
Keyboard Shortcuts

You might also add a link to the PDF file.

Here are some links to help on how to edit the wiki:
Page Editing
How to add images to wiki pages:
Adding Images

Edited by user 17 July 2010 01:06:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2010 01:03:47(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
TheWizEd, thank you! It is a great document - I wanted to create something similar for about 4 years Good
If you don't mind I will put it on the download page of next SMath Studio version because many people asked me to share such useful lists of available functions, variables and units.

Regards.

Edited by user 17 July 2010 01:05:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TheWizEd  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2010 02:29:55(UTC)
TheWizEd

Man
United States

Will,

I'm new to this wiki stuff so bear with me. You've already taught me how to upload bmp files. And I'm impressed with how quickly you can put together a good looking response with links to all kinds of good stuff. So give me time and I'll try to add to the wiki and promotion of SMath.

Andrey,

Thanks for all your help on the plug in stuff. I'm a civil engineer. My company uses MathCAD but it's only available on my office desktop. I use MathCAD for all my calculation (Soon to be all SMath). But I don't have a company laptop or MathCAD at home. Recently I was away from the office and had to do all my calculations by hand. Bummer. I need to figure out how to take SMath with me on field assignments. Maybe a portable device.

I know this project takes a lot of time and effort from you to keep it going. I'm impressed with SMath and I'm not easily impressed. I know this testimonial doesn't pay the mortgage but I'm sure your efforts will pay off some day.

To both of you thanks for your help and I hope to contribute to SMath success.
Ed
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2010 10:16:28(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello TheWized
TheWizEd wrote:
...I need to figure out how to take SMath with me on field assignments. Maybe a portable device.

Sorry if I might not understabd you well, but you can take SMath with you on a portable device. Just use the portable SMath version (single *.exe file) and put it on a USB stick.

Regards,
Radovan

P.S. Thank you for the Wiki pages Good

Edited by user 20 July 2010 10:19:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline TheWizEd  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2010 17:31:16(UTC)
TheWizEd

Man
United States

Radovan,

Excuse my choice of words. I'm not that tech savy. I meant mobile device, like smartphone. I still have a Palm Tungsten as my calculator. And a Cingular cell phone. Cingular was taken over by AT&T years ago.

What mobile devices are supported? This would give me a good excuse to move into the 21st century. Crazy
Ed
Offline omorr  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2010 19:02:32(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,

I understand it now. Sorry, my mistake Confusion
I am not familiar with SMath's support for handheld devices. I could only see the support for few of them on the download pages. As far as I know there are some users wishing to have SMath working on Android, for example, and maybe some other devices. I think that Andrey is going to decide on how many platforms will SMath be working. Mentioning Mathcad in this context is pointless.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 22 July 2010 02:46:13(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

TheWizEd thanks to you one more time Good
After I saw this:

I did this:

Good

TheWizEd wrote:
What mobile devices are supported?

Windows Mobile devices with WM OS up to 6.5 version (Pocket PCs, Communicators and Smartphones). In future I plan to create versions for Windows Phone 7, Android OS and, maybe, iOS.

Regards.
Offline TheWizEd  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2010 21:39:05(UTC)
TheWizEd

Man
United States

Andrey,

I'm not sure the precision in SMath but typically double precision floating point numbers are good to about 15 digits. This is also the maximum number of digits that can currently be displayed in SMath Tools -> Options -> Decimal places.
Ed
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2010 01:44:47(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

TheWizEd, this is due to CPU's ALU architecture. Please see "Floating-Point Values and Loss of Precision" chapter of http://msdn.microsoft.co...brary/system.double.aspx page for details (at least as a start point).

Regards.
Offline ElSid  
#11 Posted : 31 August 2010 01:06:07(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Quote:
In future I plan to create versions for Windows Phone 7, Android OS and, maybe, iOS.

Really? I wanted a Droid but wife "twisted my arm" for an iPhone Sad If/when you do this, please include an e-mail link in the app (especially for iOS). Apple will not let you download any files with a cable (pictures excluded) without iTunes on your computer (not going to happen on company computers). But if I can e-mail my calculation back and forth ...

Thanks for the great program