Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline prop_design  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2015 05:32:54(UTC)
prop_design

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

hi,

is there a way to add vector notation and add subscripts to formulas and/or text. i don't see any icons for this type of thing.

thanks,

anthony

update 1; i found the subscript part. it is the el icon or you can type [

sorry i'm new to smath, coming from many years of mathcad use. still can't figure out how to get an arrow over a vector though. this is for creating documentation. so i need a way for the math to look like you would expect it to, rather than what any given program wants.

Edited by user 02 October 2015 05:45:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2015 07:11:23(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
In Mathcad, what you call "vector notation" is not a notation decoration like Latex.
The -> over an expression is an operator that only Mathcad has. It ranks Mathcad to
no competition with so few commands to do applied maths, especially for image processing.
Smath goes by many rules of vector algebra, for instance 3D rotation. For up to Andrey
works on that, forget it. As you are new to Smath, the first you will miss from Mathcad
is the column operator and the local definition.

For this last one [local definition], it does exists but undocumented. For at least two
applications, visit the category "Samples", download all the "Spline" stuff just recently
attached. The other trick/tip, Smath does not take an index in the LHS argument. In the
Hermite Spline, I use 'j' and a local definition, to make it work like Mathcad 11.
The other application is in the "Quadratic spline", the traditional M^-*br does not solve
the tridiagonal matrix. You must use a local definition. De Boor spline is also tricked
with the local definition. A fast way to learn using Smath to produce is to visit this
forum regularly. I have already posted more than 2 dozen Mathcad 11 documents that finally
work like Mathcad in Smath. The very last one posted this morning is "Bézier-Bernstein".
For that last one, as gorgeous as Mathcad.

Hope it helps and and fix your determination. So much I love Mathcad, so much I want to
smoke PTC for deactivating my "Single User" Mathcad 11 that I own legally since 2003.
All zapped even my 200 MB web site that does not open any more for opening *.PDF or print.

Cheers, and attach your work sheet. Often collabs reply/solve.

Jean Giraud

BTW, how did you plug that icon of the flies chasing each other ?
I have nice icon(s) too. I have read how to do but does not print
in my old head liquifying the gray matter.
Offline prop_design  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2015 07:33:44(UTC)
prop_design

Man
United States

Thanks Jean,

I will check out your worksheets. Right now I don't need to do any actual math, I am just trying to annotate some pictures. I have been playing around with SMath some and it doesn't seem like I will be able to do what I need, which is unfortunate. I have never used a vector in mathcad that I can recall. I am only using it for documentation and that is all. Kind of like you I used mathcad for a long time and PTC has messed it up. It takes 12 minutes for Mathcad Prime to start on my computer. I can get classic mathcad to run but it has issues with placing math over a picture. At least in prime you could do that but it doesn't print very well. There are tears in the lines. Mathcad Prime was the best program I could find to do what I'm looking for. I will try to attach a file that I made with a combination of multiple programs. It will give you and idea of what I am after. Ideally if I could use SMath for such purposes it would avoid the hassle of spending days trying to get Mathcad to run. So over PTC. The biggest issue I have had with SMath is that it is not documented very well. I have tried to use it on and off and always give up. It seems more than capable from what expert users post to the forum. I have been following the forum for a number of years, just to keep up with progress. The thing I always liked about Mathcad was I could figure it out easily by studying files they had in their documentation. Things like PID control and solving vibration problems via ODE and LaPlace transforms. These days I just need something for documentation though. I tried LibreOffice and that is a nightmare for math. I like it for Word and Calc though. Just trying to include math is horrible.

Anthony
prop_design attached the following image(s):
Example 1.png
Example 2.png
Example 3.png
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2015 12:36:08(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1338 time(s) in 878 post(s)
If you need subscript/superscript in texts there is the Writer Region plugin.
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 02/10/2015(UTC)
Offline prop_design  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2015 18:20:36(UTC)
prop_design

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
If you need subscript/superscript in texts there is the Writer Region plugin.

thanks davide,

i'll check it out.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2015 15:39:55(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Thanks Jean,

I will check out your worksheets. Right now I don't need to do any actual math, I am just trying to annotate some pictures. I have been playing around with SMath some and it doesn't seem like I will be able to do what I need, which is unfortunate. I have never used a vector in mathcad that I can recall. I am only using it for documentation and that is all. Kind of like you I used mathcad for a long time and PTC has messed it up. It takes 12 minutes for Mathcad Prime to start on my computer. I can get classic mathcad to run but it has issues with placing math over a picture. At least in prime you could do that but it doesn't print very well. There are tears in the lines. Mathcad Prime was the best program I could find to do what I'm looking for. I will try to attach a file that I made with a combination of multiple programs. It will give you and idea of what I am after. Ideally if I could use SMath for such purposes it would avoid the hassle of spending days trying to get Mathcad to run. So over PTC. The biggest issue I have had with SMath is that it is not documented very well. I have tried to use it on and off and always give up. It seems more than capable from what expert users post to the forum. I have been following the forum for a number of years, just to keep up with progress. The thing I always liked about Mathcad was I could figure it out easily by studying files they had in their documentation. Things like PID control and solving vibration problems via ODE and LaPlace transforms. These days I just need something for documentation though. I tried LibreOffice and that is a nightmare for math. I like it for Word and Calc though. Just trying to include math is horrible.

Anthony______________________________________________________

My Mathcad 11 used to open in ~ 10 seonds in my e-Machine 1.8 GHz 33 GB.
I tied dowloading Prime [30 days], guess what: it comes with a triple link, so what ?
So what: this is the trick for crooks to fish your PC and life. A triple link opens the door
to not a virus but a something that NO, NO AV can cope. This open door is called "Artemis".
About PTC Mathcad Prime and the 3 links:
1. the first one downloads Prime from PTC
3. the 3rd one links to an external subcontract "timestamp" including the time it was downloaded to 30 days trial period.
2. the 2nd link, links to a Costa Rica immense web fishing site of dozen sub-sites and supplementary spying:
number of hours using Prime, type of usage, collecting Clients informations [e-mail, $ submission, type of project ...]
How I got it, for a small period of time the download came with an 'Ad picture' "We would like to chat with you"
click on that: bingo ! the baby din't chat, rather she stripped off all the goodies .

Like in Mathcad 11, in Smath you can insert *.bmp, you may not be able to insert clear background *.png.
For printing, go simple: take a screen shot, plug in IrfanView, print.

Your graph is manfactured, no CAS will do all that except some specialized not otherwise accessible for other math stuff.

Don't study too much the PID, there is a bug and is useless for clients. A while ago, I posted P & D , PI, PID .
The models are Laplace solved for ever that you just use. Maple, Mathematica agree. From recollection, there is also
the Smath recursive CPV PID [simple] as well as an advanced Smath advanced recursive. That reminds me Mathsoft contacted
me by e-mail to contribute to an e-book "Instrumentation" [I have recollection of Mr. Bendam ? maybe Steven Finch too].

Laplace solves very few types of DE [1rst, 2nd order with forcing term], more, more are solved via Lambert W.
I attached Lanbert W in Smath forum also ... the "usable" main branch.

No problem in Smath to plot a lobe. I didn't tried to fit a lobe with some Mathcad solver. The originator disappeared in
the blue. Bézier-Bernstein fails partially, but De Boor should do. Just attached De Boor about two days ago .
The *.sm that I attach in this forum will be in "Samples", to simplify my life and visitors quick interest.

Smath is in many ways like Mathcad, you have to decode the coding. A good part of Mathcad code is re-codable Smath,
some absolutely NOT. Visiting PTC Mathcad Community is like visiting the very first days of the Mathsoft Collaboratory.
September 10 2010 was my last PTC Mathcad Community contribution, end of arguing in the blue.

Jean