Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dg1727  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2010 11:19:15(UTC)
dg1727

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi,

Many thanks to Andrey and the team for SMath Studio. It is an impressive program. It is rare, and valuable, among free (gratis) math software in having a user-friendly paper-oriented interface like Mathcad. It also has remarkably few bugs. Smile

I work as an engineer and would like to use SMath Studio more in my job, but I would like to see the following features implemented first:

1. I need to combine numerical and symbolic math in the same document, so I look forward to the symbolic solve() mentioned in the following forum topic:
http://en.smath.info/for...t.aspx?g=posts&t=377

2. I would like to show multiple scenarios in the same document. The equations are the same, but the input variables are different.

Example:
Code:
y:=x^2 x:=1 y=1
(where the "=" is numerical evaluation)
After that, I would like to write just:
Code:
x:=2 y=4

But instead I have to write (copy-and-paste) the equation for "y" again:
Code:
y:=x^2 x:=2 y=4

If there are several equations for each scenario, rewriting the equations can take up a lot of space on the page.
I would like to put comments between the math statements (e.g., to label the conditions of each scenario), so I think that using matrices to combine several cases into one equation would be too compact.

The requested feature would change the operation described in the "common mistake" picture on http://smath.info/wiki/%...%8EUser%20functions.ashx

I believe Mathcad works in the requested way.

3. I would like to be able to share files more easily with other people who don't use SMath Studio. It would be great if the following improvements could be made to .XMCD import and export:

a. Graphs (starting with simple 2-D graphs)

b. Automatic word-wrap in text boxes (this would also affect the GUI for entering text)

Thanks in advance for considering these for the future.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline maweilian  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2010 21:59:56(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
dg1727 wrote:
2. I would like to show multiple scenarios in the same document. The equations are the same, but the input variables are different.

For your request number 2, if I understand you correctly, I think that Smath already functions in the manner you desire. See screenshot below,

Edited by user 12 May 2010 22:05:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2010 01:32:00(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello dg1727,

The symbolic engine of SMath is quite useful and interesting. Just play with it a bit.
For instance, if you insert something like this:
a←b+c
Symbolic equal to ( -> )will give (the same you will see when hoovering the mouse over the previous assignment)
a—b+c
Numerical equal to ( = ) will give an error, because the expression on the right hand side can not be defined numerically (variables b and c do not have numerical values). Now, assign the b and c numerical values:
b←1/2 c←2
See below what these assignments will make with variable a
Symbolically:
a—5/2
Numerically:
a=2,5
Now change b and c
b←7 c←5,8
And see the value of a
a—64/5
a=12,8

After all, if you are still in doubt about symbolic or numeric variables, you can also type its name and Dynamic assistance will also show its value:

You can use your imagination and make more complex structures, vectors, matrices, use loops, units etc.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 13 May 2010 02:12:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline maweilian  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2010 02:41:51(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
dg1727 wrote:

The requested feature would change the operation described in the "common mistake" picture on http://smath.info/wiki/%...%8EUser%20functions.ashx

dg1727,

The common mistake in the wiki article (User_functions) you referred to is avoided as long as the function is defined first. The variables should be assigned to their desired values only after the function is defined. It seems to me that this behavior is logical and predictable. Smath (like Mathcad) calculates from the top-left corner towards the bottom-right corner of the worksheet; therefore, if a variable is defined and then a function is defined, Smath defines the new function using the previously assigned VALUE of the variable. Changing the variable lower on the worksheet cannot redefine the function because the function was defined higher up on the worksheet. Therefore, if the user wants to be able to edit variable values used within a function, the function must be defined first using previously UNDEFINED variables and then the variables can be defined (and redefined as many times as desired) lower down on the worksheet.

Hopefully this makes sense. I invite others to clarify and/or correct this if I have it wrong.

Edited by user 13 May 2010 02:51:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2010 03:16:20(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Yes Will, you are quite right.

This was a very clear explanation.

It seems this should be added to the function hints on the Wiki in order to clarify it.

Could you please put the entire text from your previous post on the Wiki, if you do not mind. Maybe to include some pictures with simple examples.

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT: It is now on the Wiki. Thank you Will Good

Edited by user 13 May 2010 13:06:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"