Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snagglepuffin  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2015 16:51:36(UTC)
snagglepuffin

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I am very new to the forums and I apologize if this has been answered but I was unable to find it with a cursory search of the forums. I didn't know how to title this post so I hope that my explanation will suffice.

I am working on making some transfer functions for a circuit and as a build on it at each point it gets messy. Currently I have been copying and pasting the formula as it progresses so I can see what is happening, but if I change something in an earlier formula it does not populate down the document. I have been trying to work around this by doing the following:

Example:
a:=2
b:=3
c:=5
d:=5
f:=a+b
g:=2f+c
h:=(g+5)/d

What I have been doing would lead to h:=((2(a+Cool+c)+5)/d
h:=(g+5)/5 is nice and condensed but I need to be able to see the whole function in the end.

Is there a way to expand h:=(g+5)/5 into h:=((2(a+Cool+c)+5)/d?
This way any changes I make in the beginning of the sheet would populate down without having to manually change each formula.

I appreciate any and all help!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Ernesto  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2015 19:04:37(UTC)
Ernesto

Nicaragua

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
One way to do it, as seen on the images below, is to define f, g, and h first (or define them as functions).
Then evaluate h symbolically. You do this after defining it, using the arrow symbol in the second image. This will show h defined as variables.

Then define the variables, and evaluate for h.
Ernesto attached the following image(s):
eval sym.PNG
eval sym2.png
Offline snagglepuffin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2015 15:59:50(UTC)
snagglepuffin

After you define h in terms of g and d is there some trick to show the rest or did you still manually input the function in terms of a, b, c, and d? When I input what you have for h and hit the equal sign again, it says that c is not defined. What I am trying to avoid is having to input the function in this way. If I were to change the function f I would want it to show up in the definition of h and not have to change every instance of it.
Offline snagglepuffin  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2015 16:01:31(UTC)
snagglepuffin

Nevermind, I just figured it out. The arrow is what I need to press instead of the second equal sign. Thank you very much for your help. This helps me out immensely!