Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jhydrew  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2010 22:24:18(UTC)
jhydrew

Groups: Registered

I'm going to have to back some of the requests by SM. I feel that if more users express interest in some of these things, it might push development and show what the people are really looking for....So, here's my wish list:

1. SUPPORT OF UNITS!!!!!! (By far the most important factor that would make this program more useful) This functionality not only works as a great documenting tool, but also helps to check for errors in engineering calculations. If you choose to add units, it would be nice to have the option of SI/Eng/MKS and so on. This is useful if you're an international organization that works with other companies that don't stick to just SI units.

2. Literal subscripts-it is very confusing to do engineering calculations when you can't have simplified variables. Also, if you type out longer names for your variables, it just makes it more time consuming when rewriting variables in later equations.

3. Full font support in text including font selection, bold italic etc.(this would aid in professional documenting along with suggestion #2 as you can seperate calc headings and explanations from the actual calculations)

4. Header and Footer (Microsoft Word style, not excel type).

P.S.-Good luck. Your program is great and I appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Paolo83  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2010 22:39:41(UTC)
Paolo83

I'm completly agree!
An other improve for me is implement the page border, this can help write better.
Offline crun  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:00:52(UTC)
crun

I would agree with all these.

For item3: font support. I would suggest that the color/font/weight are separately set for:
- comment regions
- assignment regions (ie := expressions)
- display regions (ie = expressions that show the contents of vars)
- function definitions

Edited by user 24 February 2010 15:04:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline gurro  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2010 06:29:58(UTC)
gurro

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Units will be grrrreat! Clap -- G. Urroz

Edited by moderator 26 February 2010 22:01:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2010 13:00:07(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Gilberto

Nice to see you here Good
Have you seen this Units implementation
I think your feedback would be very welcome.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline gurro  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2010 08:33:42(UTC)
gurro

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 7 post(s)
omorr wrote:
Hello Gilberto

Nice to see you here Good
Have you seen this Units implementation
I think your feedback would be very welcome.

Regards,
Radovan

Radovan:

Yes. I can't wait to get my hands on the beta version with units. The ability to handle units is definitely a big plus for engineering students and engineers in using SMath Studio. All the examples I have in the SMath wiki include units, however, up to now I've just been adding them as text fields attached to the numerical results. To keep track of units is a great mental exercise, but being able to carry them as suggested by Andrey in his posting will be FABULOUS!

Greetings!

Gilberto Urroz
Offline Claws  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2010 21:43:31(UTC)
Claws

A small request on variable names and subscript: Would it be possible to allow the user to define the shortcut to subscript?
I use a Danish keyboard and using '[' for subscripts require me to press Alt+8, it really interrupts the work flow. I would really like it to be e.g. Shift+underscore but that creates a whitespace instead.
I would like to use SMath more for engineering calculations (especially now with units!) and the calc. Im trying now, uses 'h' (for enthalpy) seven times with subscript index incrementing each time. It really take a lot of time to use Alt+8 instead of 'period' or Shift+underscore.

Question: What is 'del' linked to? I intuitively use it to delete whatever is selected or to remove lines, habit from MathCAD, but instead a period appears.

Thank you for the great software Clapping