Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Edwin  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2009 05:26:30(UTC)
Edwin

Groups: Registered

First of all. Thanks for this great project. I've always looked for an alternative to Mathcad. This project appears to be going in the right direction fast.

I am an engineer and do a lot of structural calculations. I still use an almost 10 year old version of Mathcad for this. I don't actually use the advanced mathematical stuff a lot. Instead I use it to do my calculations in a clear formatted way and with the proper units to avoid mistakes. So when units are implemented in smath, I will start doing some extensive testing.

I have a question. I use the Linux version, but I'm wondering if there is any difference with the desktop windows version or if it's just packaged with shell script to start it with Mono. Seems good to know since you often make test builds just for windows.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline LordMike  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2009 05:44:08(UTC)
LordMike

Man

Edwin wrote:
First of all. Thanks for this great project. I've always looked for an alternative to Mathcad. This project appears to be going in the right direction fast.

I am an engineer and do a lot of structural calculations. I still use an almost 10 year old version of Mathcad for this. I don't actually use the advanced mathematical stuff a lot. Instead I use it to do my calculations in a clear formatted way and with the proper units to avoid mistakes. So when units are implemented in smath, I will start doing some extensive testing.

I have a question. I use the Linux version, but I'm wondering if there is any difference with the desktop windows version or if it's just packaged with shell script to start it with Mono. Seems good to know since you often make test builds just for windows.

Actually. It's the latter. Packaged with a shell script.
What he does, is simply compile it for windows. Once it runs there, run it through Mono (An open source linux .net library). If that works out, distribute it as linux compatible.

Latter I understand he won't do, as it's an extra step :P

You can always get the executable, and then run it as:
"mono appname.exe"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2009 09:00:20(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
LordMike, unfortunately that is not so easy. IL assemblies created with Visual Studio cannot be started on Mono just using "mono appname.exe" (at least if we are talking about rather complex code - I have no tested "Hello world" projects for such compatibility). To make assemblies for Mono it is required to compile the source code using, f.e. Mono Developer. Sometimes parts of the code should be excluded or corrected to build for Mono.

Edwin, yes there are several differences between Linux and Windows sources of SMath Studio, but I'm always try to prevent differences in functionality of these versions of program (for now, Mono version has no "Check for updates" feature). Linux version will appear soon. In fact, if I didn't do something, then I just had no enough time... Sad
Offline LordMike  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2009 17:38:16(UTC)
LordMike

Man

smath wrote:
LordMike, unfortunately that is not so easy. IL assemblies created with Visual Studio cannot be started on Mono just using "mono appname.exe" (at least if we are talking about rather complex code - I have no tested "Hello world" projects for such compatibility). To make assemblies for Mono it is required to compile the source code using, f.e. Mono Developer. Sometimes parts of the code should be excluded or corrected to build for Mono.

Edwin, yes there are several differences between Linux and Windows sources of SMath Studio, but I'm always try to prevent differences in functionality of these versions of program (for now, Mono version has no "Check for updates" feature). Linux version will appear soon. In fact, if I didn't do something, then I just had no enough time... Sad

Hmm.. That's interesting.
I did a "Hello World" app once, all I had to do was run it as an argument to mono.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2009 19:57:04(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Just one more thing: if assemblies was built under Mono, then these assemblies can be started under MS .Net (in about 100%, according to my experience).
Offline LordMike  
#6 Posted : 25 October 2009 20:02:12(UTC)
LordMike

Man

smath wrote:
Just one more thing: if assemblies was built under Mono, then these assemblies can be started under MS .Net (in about 100%, according to my experience).

Would be expected, Mono is an incomplete .Net library. So anything mono runs, can most certainly be run by .Net.
That is, what I'd expect. :P