Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2023 17:52:27(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello,

About 1,5 years ago we started making first steps on project monetization: some limitations have been introduced for SMath Studio Personal edition for the users from Russia. These limitations did not touch main functionality, it was only about watermarks appearing on printouts. All these months we worked hard in order to fix multiple infrastructure issues and in parallel continued supporting all our customers. It was not easy as some vendors like Microsoft just gone from Russian market and we had to add more Linux support in order our clients could switсh from using Windows, also we significantly reworked our main Web, started using alternative database engines and many others.

Also we needed find out how to continue supporting our foreign customers. After well known worldwide events we analyzed all possible scenarios and decided to split our business on two parts: local Russian market an International one. For the foreign clients we've established a new legal entity in Israel. We did our best in order to prepare all needed things so this change would go smoothly and all our processes and services would be still available worldwide.

For several reasons (legal, technical, commercial) we are not able to continue working using different terms for users from different countries. That is why SMath Studio public license was finally generalized and published for all: https://smath.com/en-US/view/SMathStudio/license.

The main changes are:
- Free version of SMath Studio has a few limitations from now on - please see https://smath.com/en-US/view/SMathStudio/pricing. Main program functionality is not affected at all. We are only talking about watermarks on print out, limitations in using program via command line and some plug-ins created by employees of SMath LLC made not available for free.
- The only license for organizations now is Unlimited, we propose several business specific options like floating licenses and licensing server installed on the organization's local network.

We understand all the drawbacks and inconveniences of this step for the community but it is required to survive and continue growing for us personally and for the software we produce. Hopefully you understand it. We resisted and postponed this change as much as we could, starting from the first days when the sanctions made our life harder.

If you have been counting on us in your engineering work, in an educational institution or as part of your personal activities and you have been with us for several years, please contact us by email and we will agree to issue licenses on terms acceptable to you.

We have a pool of free Advanced licenses for personal use for those who shared example worksheets with community, plug-ins, handbooks, who donated to the project before and for those who was active on the forum all these years. Discounts will be proposed for the Organizations. Educational organizations are traditionally the special case for us.

Do not hesitate to contact us if we did not recognize you as an active project participant by some reasons. We appreciate a lot all who supported us all these years and we are ready to be flexible for you!

We'll help to make the switch as transparent as possible for everyone who trusted us.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 28/09/2023(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Alex M.  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2023 18:56:59(UTC)
Alex M.

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
If you have been counting on us in your engineering work, in an educational institution or as part of your personal activities and you have been with us for several years, please contact us by email and we will agree to issue licenses on terms acceptable to you.
Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.

This is very much myself.

How can i get my hands on an advanced license so that i can continue using SMath for my professional purpose? Should i write directly to your email address I save in my contacts from years ago?

Thanks,

Alexander

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2023 19:26:27(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Hello, Alexander. Your Advanced license already assigned to your account (based on the e-mail from the forum profile).
You can use it already. Just use your account in the SMath Studio.
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2023 19:56:59(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Hello Andrey,

Thank you for your explanations. I think the most severe change is that the personal edition can't be used for commercial purposes (within a company) any more.
So our students in their future jobs as mechanical or electrical engineers in small and medium size companies will have to apply for a budget if they want to use SMath. In that case, they will find that the license costs (564$ per year for one user) are comparable to PTC Mathcad Prime (736€ per year for one user).

I wish the SMath project all the best and am curious what the impact of the changes will be.

Best regards, Martin
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline ndtma  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2023 21:08:35(UTC)
ndtma

Man
Sri Lanka

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Hello Andrey,

Please kindly approve my forum membership to continue as an Advanced Member, and also to use for personal purposes.

Thanks,
ndtma
N.D.T.M. Amarasekera
Look within!... The secret is inside you.
Best Regards
Eng. NDTM Amarasekera - Sri Lanka
Offline oscampo  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2023 21:52:58(UTC)
oscampo

Man
Colombia

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Hi Andrey,
I just read about your decision on prices and functionality for SMath and I would like to ask you for a free Advanced license for personal use.

Best regards,

Oscar
Offline alyles  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2023 23:48:24(UTC)
alyles

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Does this apply to previously released versions of SMath or just future releases?

Feel free to join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2023 00:01:29(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: oscampo Go to Quoted Post
Oscar

Originally Posted by: ndtma Go to Quoted Post
N.D.T.M. Amarasekera

Done. Please see email. Thank you for your support.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 13/09/2023(UTC)
Offline Micro_NaCl  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2023 00:15:10(UTC)
Micro_NaCl

Hello Andrey,

Thank you very much for developing SMath Studio, it helped me a lot in my engineering education.
Is it possible to have a permanent license for just removing the watermark? The subscription model don't really work for me. I would personally be willing to pay 20-50 USD if such a thing exist.

Regards,
Carl
Offline Jaredhh  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2023 05:30:26(UTC)
Jaredhh

Mexico

Hi,

:'( I was just getting into the smath world for my civil engineer clases found it really useful. If I pay an advanced license with my student or personal email can I remove the watermarks? In order to deliver my homework with nice presentation.

Regards

Edited by user 13 September 2023 05:44:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline fedeghi  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2023 09:40:17(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi Andrey, thanks for updates about the project.
I'm not sure if I can be considered an eligible user for Advanced license: for sure my contribution through the past years cannot be compared to the one of other main users... but, in case I am eligible, please note that unfortunately back in the days when I first run into SMath (2013 approx) I used an email address to create the forum user, while a couple of years ago I used another email address for the Smath Studio account.
So, in case I am eligible for an Advanced license, please let me know and I will provide you via PM the other mail that I used for Smath Studio account.
Thanks

Federico

Edited by user 13 September 2023 10:05:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CBG  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2023 20:09:55(UTC)
CBG

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello Andrey,

Please kindly approve my forum membership to continue as an Advanced Member, and also to use for personal purposes.

Thanks,

Best Regards

CBG
Offline churichuro  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2023 23:10:01(UTC)
churichuro

Mexico

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Andrey Ivashov It is amazing the quality and quantity of work that you have developed in all this time, and I consider it fair that you can recover part of the investment that you have destined to this project.

Times are hard for everyone in general, and we will miss all those benefits that we had for free all this time, the contributions and donations that some of us made at the time, I must admit that they were increasingly scarce.

Let's hope that with the changes we can soon see many improvements in Smath, so that the future will bring us better things.

A big hug.

thanks 1 user thanked churichuro for this useful post.
on 14/09/2023(UTC)
Offline Alex M.  
#14 Posted : 14 September 2023 01:07:10(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
Hello Andrey,

Thank you for your explanations. I think the most severe change is that the personal edition can't be used for commercial purposes (within a company) any more.
So our students in their future jobs as mechanical or electrical engineers in small and medium size companies will have to apply for a budget if they want to use SMath. In that case, they will find that the license costs (564$ per year for one user) are comparable to PTC Mathcad Prime (736€ per year for one user).

I wish the SMath project all the best and am curious what the impact of the changes will be.

Best regards, Martin

I have spoken to a few folks in my company and general consensus is that a Mathcad alternative needs to provide a quantifiable cost saving. I will absolutely keep using SMath myself, but it will be an uphill battle to get couple licenses for the folks who work with me.
thanks 1 user thanked Alex M. for this useful post.
on 14/09/2023(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#15 Posted : 14 September 2023 01:51:24(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: Jaredhh Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

:'( I was just getting into the smath world for my civil engineer clases found it really useful. If I pay an advanced license with my student or personal email can I remove the watermarks? In order to deliver my homework with nice presentation.

Regards

Hello. Of course you can. Any paid license removes watermarks.
Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#16 Posted : 14 September 2023 01:52:48(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: CBG Go to Quoted Post
Hello Andrey,

Thanks,

Best Regards

CBG

Hello.

Please let me know what e-mail you've used to register on smath.com (not a forum).

Best regards.
Offline CBG  
#17 Posted : 14 September 2023 06:38:03(UTC)
CBG

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CBG Go to Quoted Post
Hello Andrey,

Thanks,

Best Regards

CBG

Hello.

Please let me know what e-mail you've used to register on smath.com (not a forum).

Best regards.

Hello,

I send you uin e-mail where I indicate the e-mail I use to register in Smath.com

Thanks,

Best Regards

Carlos
Offline Márcio Cunha  
#18 Posted : 18 September 2023 17:29:38(UTC)
Márcio Cunha

Brazil

Dear Andrey,

I think your software is state of the art software in terms of its use.

I would be happy to acquire a license to use in my small structural calculation office, but the cost of acquiring a commercial license is very high by Brazilian standards.

I have no doubts about the quality of your software, but I am even more certain about my inability to acquire a license and be faithful to the terms of use.

It is a shame that I will have to stop using the software (without wanting to do so), since I use it professionally and will not be able to pay the proposed amount.

I sincerely suggest that you rethink the value for emerging markets. This is not our reality.

Yours sincerely,

Márcio Cunha
Brazil

P.S.: Thank you Google Translator!!!!
Offline Jean Giraud  
#19 Posted : 18 September 2023 18:19:46(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Má Go to Quoted Post
commercial license is very high by Brazilian standards.

What is the price for single user licence ?
I have no recollection Andrey mentioned $

Offline alyles  
#20 Posted : 18 September 2023 20:15:02(UTC)
alyles

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Má Go to Quoted Post
commercial license is very high by Brazilian standards.

What is the price for single user licence ?
I have no recollection Andrey mentioned $

Starting 564 USD/year. Per https://smath.com/en-US/view/SMathStudio/pricing
Untitled.png

Feel free to join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW