Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rmix22  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2013 19:29:59(UTC)
rmix22

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am trying a simple recursion but without success. I always get the error of the function not being defined in numeric mode and just the first recursion step in symbolics. What am I doing wrong?

In the meantime I found a workarund but I am not sure if its intended to work that way. I add a line (]) and the I delete one of the two placeholders created (the vertical line will still be there) and then I type the function body in the remaining placeholder.

The failing of the symbolic evaluation with parameter n (even when using the sum symbol) is not a bug, I guess, but just a limitation of the symbolics implemented so far. But the error message should be a different one with symbolic eval, as n not being defined is not an error with symbolics. Guess it would be best if the expressions would simplify to themselves if SMath fails with a simplification (f(n) --> f(n)) without an error.

P.S.: I am not an experienced user of SMath at all, but may I suggest we can get back the right arrow for symbolic evaluations (maybe customizeable as in Mathcad). I know they where there in former SMath versions and still are in the online Live version.
Just noticed that I am not able to type simple parenthesis in the Live-version (annoying), but I don't know if that ever was possible - I seldom used it.

Edited by user 25 August 2013 21:14:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rmix22 attached the following image(s):
SMath-recursion.png
SMath-recursion2.png

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2013 21:58:59(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1340 time(s) in 879 post(s)
Hi rmix22 Good

The line() is the correct way...

g(n) fails because the if/else statement can't evaluate what's the case, so can't return an output (if is numeric even if you set the optimization to symbolic); in the same way, if you do not define n, the sum can't return anything...

Edited by user 24 August 2013 22:01:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline rmix22  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:17:17(UTC)
rmix22

Quote:
The line() is the correct way...

Thanks for the quick answer. Any logic behind this behaviour? I don't need that line add and delete placeholder with non-recursive functions.

Quote:
g(n) fails because the if/else statement can't evaluate what's the case, so can't return an output (if is numeric even if you set the optimization to symbolic); in the same way, if you do not define n, the sum can't return anything...

Agreed, concerning the recursive function, as we don't have a way to tell SMath that we want n to be a positive integer (BTW, the assume modifier in Mathcad as so often doesn't work in this case either). But concerning the sum operator SMath could know the result (as does Mathcad) because there should be an implicit assumption of n being an integer.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by user 24 August 2013 22:18:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 25 August 2013 00:10:45(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1128 time(s) in 724 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rmix22 Go to Quoted Post

P.S.: I am not an experienced user of SMath at all, but may I suggest we can get back the right arrow for symbolic evaluations (maybe customizeable as in Mathcad). I know they where there in former SMath versions and still are in the online Live version.

I'd vote for that as well, yet there seems to be no hope... I am not aware of any reaction to former similar posts, but I may be wrong.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline mkraska  
#5 Posted : 25 August 2013 00:34:46(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1128 time(s) in 724 post(s)
If you replace if() by boolean expressions, then symbolic or numeric evaluation will crash smath. This is possibly due to lack of recursion stopping.

Edited by user 25 August 2013 00:36:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mkraska attached the following image(s):
recursion.PNG
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 25/08/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#6 Posted : 25 August 2013 01:18:10(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1340 time(s) in 879 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
If you replace if() by boolean expressions, then symbolic or numeric evaluation will crash smath. This is possibly due to lack of recursion stopping.

I can confirm, the function should returns an error due to infinite loops (because - correctly - all functions' terms are evaluated, so you fall in a infinite loop)

Any logic behind this behaviour?

No Don't know, the recursivity on plain functions doesn't work anymore, but I don't know why and from what happen; the line() function enable this feature.

But concerning the sum operator SMath could know the result (as does Mathcad) because there should be an implicit assumption of n being an integer.

I agree, BTW the symbolic engine have several things to improve Good

best regards,

Davide
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline rmix22  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2013 01:50:55(UTC)
rmix22

I'd vote for that as well, yet there seems to be no hope... I am not aware of any reaction to former similar posts, but I may be wrong.

Thats a pity. It would be very useful to be able to have an optical different appearence of the two methods of evaluation. I am not sure but it would look to me that it should not be that much effort to (re)implement that.
Offline rmix22  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2013 01:59:43(UTC)
rmix22

I wouldn't had expected that function to work being an infinite recursion. Maybe future versions of SMath will be able to detect an overflow or infinite recursion before the program crashes which of course should not happen.
I could image that your function works if you change the order of the factors in the last product. This would require that SMath had implemented some sort of shortcut evaluation (the second factor would not be evaluated if the first one is already identified as zero). But I just tried and this seems not to be the case.

BTW, thanks for your SMath manual - much appreciated!
Offline rmix22  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2013 02:02:47(UTC)
rmix22

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
If you replace if() by boolean expressions, then symbolic or numeric evaluation will crash Smath. This is possibly due to lack of recursion stopping.

I can confirm, the function should returns an error due to infinite loops (because - correctly - all functions' terms are evaluated, so you fall in a infinite loop)

I wouldn't had expected that function to work either but as I already wrote in my reply to Martin it could with a slight modification if SMath had implemented shortcut evaluation.

Quote:
BTW the symbolic engine have several things to improve Good

As have Mathcad's symbolics ;-)

While searching the forum for recursion some hours ago I stumbled over a posting where somebody posted an example which crashes SMath and somebody else answered that in a new version (old from todays point of view) this will not be the case anymore. I tried the example and it crashes the current (stable) version of SMath. I tried to find that thread to reference it here, but it looks like searching the forum does not work at the moment. Anybody with some more information what happened to recursion over the time of program development? Obviously an improvement was taken back for some reason.

Regards

EDIT: I found the thread I mentioned above (using the internal search - the custom google search still is broken for me). It looks like infinite recursions did not crash versions 0.89 and 0.90 while they do crash the current version 0.96 (and did with version prior to 0.89).
http://en.smath.info/forum/yaf_postst1085_bad-recursive-function-calling-causes-crash.aspx

Edited by user 25 August 2013 12:46:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified