Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dham  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2013 21:14:46(UTC)
Dham

Groups: Registered
Man
Brazil

I'm creating a worksheet that will draw the forces acting on a beam and calculate reactions, moments, etc.
The worksheet will very similar to the Beam.sm example (but will do some more), and I'm doing pretty much the same that is done there when I don't
have a clue on how to do something.

I'm trying to use the stack function to put all rows of a loop in a single matrix, just like is in Beam.sm, but, the result isn't the same. I attached an image, where in the left side there's the best code I managed to do at the moment (gray), and in the right side is a code which is basically a copy of the code in the example, but using my functions. The code in example only show the last iteration, while my code have a vector of submatrices. None is the desirable answer.

The function in the example creates a single matrix with all the elements of the loops' vector, but it's not doing the same in my worksheet. Does anyone have an idea about why isn't it working?

Danilo Monteiro
Dham attached the following image(s):
Stack.png

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2013 21:25:14(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1333 time(s) in 877 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dham Go to Quoted Post
I'm creating a worksheet that will draw the forces acting on a beam and calculate reactions, moments, etc.
The worksheet will very similar to the Beam.sm example (but will do some more), and I'm doing pretty much the same that is done there when I don't

I'm trying to use the stack function to put all rows of a loop in a single matrix, just like is in Beam.sm, but, the result isn't the same. I attached an image, where in the left side there's the best code I managed to do at the moment (gray), and in the right side is a code which is basically a copy of the code in the example, but using my functions. The code in example only show the last iteration, while my code have a vector of submatrices. None is the desirable answer.

The function in the example creates a single matrix with all the elements of the loops' vector, but it's not doing the same in my worksheet. Does anyone have an idea about why isn't it working?

Danilo Monteiro

It's quite easy; use a 2 arguments stack function and put as first argument the ouput matrix (see the screenshots)

Using a single argument the stack function converts the argument from number to matrix if the argument is a number, otherwise nothing changes.

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 03 May 2013 21:30:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
SMath Studio - [Page1]_2.png
SMath Studio - [Page1]_3.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 03/05/2013(UTC)
Offline Dham  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2013 21:49:50(UTC)
Dham

Man
Brazil

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post

Danilo Monteiro

It's quite easy; use a 2 arguments stack function and put as first argument the ouput matrix (see the screenshots)

Using a single argument the stack function converts the argument from number to matrix if the argument is a number, otherwise nothing changes.

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Hello, I tried the way you told me, but Smath said that the function is undefined (attached).Wallbash
But then, I defined a initial matrix and it worked! Thank you very much! Victory

Dham attached the following image(s):
Stack2.png
Stack3.png
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2013 21:55:42(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi,

Don't worry... I think that you have forgot to initialize the output matrices Good

You can create a 2x1 matrix before the for statement (and then after the loop you need to make a submatrix from the 2nd to the last row) or you can add an if/else condition inside the loop that exclude the stack at the first loop (I prefer the second solution but it's matter of taste)

[EDIT]
But then, I defined a initial matrix and it worked! Thank you very much! Victory

Good, you're welcome Good

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 03 May 2013 21:58:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 03/05/2013(UTC)
Offline mikekaganski  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2013 01:21:53(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
... or you can add an if/else condition inside the loop that exclude the stack at the first loop ...

No need for that; you only have to initialize the matrix like this:

Setas:matrix(0,2)
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 4 users thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 04/05/2013(UTC),  on 04/05/2013(UTC),  on 04/05/2013(UTC),  on 04/05/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2013 01:24:39(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: mikekaganski Go to Quoted Post

Nice solution Friends
Offline Dham  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2013 03:16:26(UTC)
Dham

Man
Brazil

Originally Posted by: mikekaganski Go to Quoted Post

Nice solution Friends

Indeed...