Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline IVR  
#21 Posted : 03 May 2013 19:14:20(UTC)
IVR

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The example presented above by Ber7 shows clearly one of the main problems of the current version of the SMath Viewer: a user is forced to use two-column interface and forced to use several tabs to make viewer's version of the SMath document compact enough. Currently a user has to input data in the first tab and to switch application to another tab to see results of calculations and/or plots. Most of engineers and nearly all students prefer "what if" style of applications, when input data and results are put together on the same screen (fortunately, today's computers have sufficiently big and wide screens). In such a case it is easier to check and compare results for several possible input data sets.

I must confess, that tabs are very useful in such stand-alone applications. Additional tabs can be used for a Help page, notes, etc. I think, however, it would be nice to be able to have a "wide-screen" viewer with 4- or 6-column interface in the future. Just put today's two-columns pages in one tab, side-by-side.

In any case, IMHO Viewer is extremely useful and important update of the SMath Studio.

Edited by user 03 May 2013 19:18:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#22 Posted : 03 May 2013 19:30:47(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IVR Go to Quoted Post
Currently a user has to input data in the first tab and to switch application to another tab to see results of calculations and/or plots

It's not true No ... the calculation it's made in real-time over each tab, you just need to update the input field value with the tab key (update and move to the next input field) or the enter key (simply update the field) (see the screenshot)

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 03 May 2013 19:47:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
SMath Viewer.gif
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#23 Posted : 03 May 2013 20:39:20(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Thank you. I'm agree with IVR, pressing of ENTER after input changed maybe not obvious for some users. I will add a possibility to see current input state (to understand is field updated or not) and to initiate recalculation by mouse. I have some ideas...

Columns. Yes, IVR also right here. I understand the issue and in future versions user will be able to set worksheet columns or even change controls properties (size, location, etc) using some simple designer built-in into SMath Studio. But anyway, I'll do my best to provide the easiest way to generate output applications. Current implementation introduced mostly to show to community another vector of my development. And I hope you enjoy it.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 03/05/2013(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#24 Posted : 03 May 2013 20:58:42(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
  • Andrey, for testing of viewer application it would be very helpful, to have some shortcut for export. This could be a button in the tool bar or a hot key. It could export the sheet to the recently selected format and name (the latter reset upon each change of the sheet name. Ctr-S still would save the sheet as .sm file.

• If I understood you well, then yes, I will add an option to make it possible to export worksheet with all current changes as an *.sm file. It will be only an option in the File > Properties dialog (2-nd taCool with "false" by default. This is because one of the main ideas of SMath Viewer - ability to protect your source worksheet.

• currently, the file property settings for author and company are not reflected in the generated exe file. The file manager displays the metadata of the plugin, not of the exported sheet. I guess that changes are limited to the commercial version (which is perfectly ok)

• Hmm. Author should be specified in file properties. Try to hover output exe with a mouse:

• I also guess, that the other metadata will some day go to an "About" button of the exported app, won't they?

• Exactly!

• It would be nice if the exported app would include only the required plugins. Currently, everything is exported, even those which are disabled in the plugins manager. Advanced users typically have their installation full of stuff, which then blows up even the simplest example apps. An alternative is, of course, to have different installations with different selections of installed plugins. That, however, is hard to maintain consistently. I see, of course, the problem of how to determine the dependencies in multifile plugins just like the maplewrapper or dataexchange. If there is an easy solution, that would be welcome.

• You're right. I didn't know any common way to determine the dependencies between DLLs in plugin's directory (especially for unmanaged DLLs). But I think I've found a solution already, so in the next versions this will not be a problem anymore.

• EDIT: The print preview looks like it would show the title or filename but fails to do so.

• Correct. Will fix it.

• EDIT: For commercial users might be important to check the print preview, because it contains more information than the app GUI (e.g. covering of variable names and implemented formulas by description strings is lost)

• Yeah, will think about it. Thank you.

• EDIT: Does the statement "SMath viewer is free for learning" include teaching in acedemic context?

• Yes, absolutely.

• EDIT: How can I change the language setting of the viewer application (e.g. in order to test translated versions)?

• For now you need to change OS localization setting to test translations. Plan to add additional toolbar button with all available languages listed.

Thank you, mkraska!

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
    on 03/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline kilele  
    #25 Posted : 03 May 2013 21:21:45(UTC)
    kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
    While reading IVR's post I've recalled this one on Bret Victor's ideas about interactive interface design.
    http://en.smath.info/for...roll-wheel.aspx#post8240
    You may find some inspiration by watching some of his videos in youtube like this one

Complete talk
    http://vimeo.com/36579366
    Maybe you have imagined something like panels of preview small graphs all changing at the same time as the user moves a slider control..to name some of the user interfaces used in Bret's Tangle.

Edited by user 04 May 2013 15:20:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked kilele for this useful post.
    on 03/05/2013(UTC),  on 03/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline mkraska  
    #26 Posted : 03 May 2013 23:22:22(UTC)
    mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: smath Go to Quoted Post
  • Andrey, for testing of viewer application it would be very helpful, to have some shortcut for export. This could be a button in the tool bar or a hot key. It could export the sheet to the recently selected format and name (the latter reset upon each change of the sheet name. Ctr-S still would save the sheet as .sm file.

• If I understood you well, then yes, I will add an option to make it possible to export worksheet with all current changes as an *.sm file. It will be only an option in the File > Properties dialog (2-nd taCool with "false" by default. This is because one of the main ideas of SMath Viewer - ability to protect your source worksheet.

Andrey, thanks for the detailed response. As for the above issue, I failed to make myself understood. My intention was not to facilitate extracting the source sheet off an application but rather to facilitate the export process from within SMath Studio. Now I have to call the Save as dialog and then choose the excutable format from a long list (if there are many plugins installed). This requires two precision mouse actions, which I hated when I reproduced your formatting steps in the Viewer introduction.

One might even go further and have a button "run", i.e. export and immediate launch of the app from within SMath Studio.

It might be sensible to make the "run" button configurable (export format and action to take afterwards)

As for the metadata: I entered german and english metadata. The german title is "Beispiel" and goes to the window title of the Viewer window (with "- SMath Viewer" appended. The english title goes to the exe file metadata as displaed in the dynamic info pop up (mouse hovering over exe file). Author name and company are set in both languages but have no effect.

Martin
    mkraska attached the following image(s):
    viewer.PNG
    Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
    thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
    on 06/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline omorr  
    #27 Posted : 04 May 2013 14:58:16(UTC)
    omorr

Man
    Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
    Hello,

Here is another simple sample representing checkbox using. It crossed my mind that it would be quite interesting to have the ability to see and change a data matrix from within SMath Viewer.

z-test

Regards,
    Radovan

omorr attached the following image(s):
    Z - test for single mean.png
    When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
    thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
    on 05/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline kilele  
    #28 Posted : 04 May 2013 15:59:06(UTC)
    kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post

Here is another simple sample representing checkbox using. It crossed my mind that it would be quite interesting to have the ability to see and change a data matrix from within SMath Viewer.
    z-test

Yes, that's the idea of immediate connection to what you are designing/changing.
    Sorry for my insistence, I just think it would be great to have in SMath Viewer some of the gui controls from this reactive document.
    thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
    on 04/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline Ber7  
    #29 Posted : 04 May 2013 18:31:29(UTC)
    Ber7

Man
    Israel

Was thanked: 520 time(s) in 288 post(s)
    thanks 2 users thanked Ber7 for this useful post.
    on 05/05/2013(UTC),  on 05/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline Davide Carpi  
    #30 Posted : 05 May 2013 12:25:19(UTC)
    Davide Carpi

Man
    Italy

Hi all;

I noticed a "nonlinear behavior" of the Viewer: when an area is collapsed and protected works as a combination of a collapsed area and a separator; moreover the calculations are broken.

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 05 May 2013 12:29:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
    protected.png
    unprotected.png
    If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
    Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #31 Posted : 06 May 2013 00:33:54(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
    I noticed a "nonlinear behavior" of the Viewer: when an area is collapsed and protected works as a combination of a collapsed area and a separator; moreover the calculations are broken.

Fixed. Thank you!
    thanks 2 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
    on 06/05/2013(UTC),  on 06/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #32 Posted : 06 May 2013 01:09:24(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

currently, the file property settings for author and company are not reflected in the generated exe file. The file manager displays the metadata of the plugin, not of the exported sheet. I guess that changes are limited to the commercial version (which is perfectly ok)

Fixed. Author and Company is now shown in application meta-data. Copyright item will contain "Copyright © SMath" for free version and "Copyright © <COMPANY>" - for commercial.
    Thank you!

Best regards.
    on 06/05/2013(UTC)
    Offline Ber7  
    #33 Posted : 11 May 2013 14:03:15(UTC)
    Ber7

Man
    Israel

Was thanked: 520 time(s) in 288 post(s)
    Examples of finding moment of force
    http://smath.info/wiki/G....aspx?File=MomForrce.rar
    Ber7 attached the following image(s):
    MomForce.gif
    Offline Davide Carpi  
    #34 Posted : 18 May 2013 00:28:19(UTC)
    Davide Carpi

Man
    Italy

It crossed my mind that it would be quite interesting to have the ability to see and change a data matrix from within SMath Viewer.

Yes, would be an useful feature Foto
    Offline Dr. Parnassus  
    #35 Posted : 05 January 2016 11:49:12(UTC)
    Dr. Parnassus

Man
    Switzerland

I enjoy working with the SMath Viewer for recurring work in mechanical engineering.
    As soon as I'm done, I'll translate the worksheet in English.

The central element of this exe is the Tab 3 "Geometry" because it brings the user close the effect of dimensional change graphically.
    Are there any input or suggestions for improvement?
    I found so far no options for 2D graphs similar to the plug-in of Dr. Martin Kraska to increase the intelligence of the charts (eg. automatic adjustment to scale)

Thannk you all ad best regards

Andreas

Zylinderpressverband_V20.zip (1,044kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
    Offline Jean Giraud  
    #36 Posted : 06 January 2016 04:53:47(UTC)
    Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
    It crossed my mind that it would be quite interesting to have the ability to see and change a data matrix from within SMath Viewer.

Yes, would be an useful feature {Davide]

In one of the "Utilities" posted few months ago, there is an algo that takes :
    function name, the range [then auto range the plot], and parameters.
    That means you can view as many plots as you want with parameters of your choice
    and each plot auto-ranged. The viewer is another story.
    BTW, thanks a lot Davide for rescueing "Budapest39" ... most appreciated.
    I have not tested the length of the data set because of the Sigma summator.

Jean

I have added DCT2-II & Idct2-II ... limited to 32 [because of Sigma.
    Will post in few minutes
    Offline Jean Giraud  
    #37 Posted : 06 January 2016 07:44:45(UTC)
    Jean Giraud

Canada

... [suite], that's what I meant:
    1. algo style construct, includes individual range,
    2. includes user parameters [no limit]
    3. each "plot set" is an export
    4. you can "nest" the "All" for different style export.

IMHO, I think the "viewer" can be constructed similarly.

Jean

Utilities 2D parameters Algo Ranged.sm (18kb) downloaded 73 time(s).
    Offline resist  
    #38 Posted : 06 January 2016 15:01:30(UTC)
    resist

Man
    Hungary

Hi Andrey,

The include plugin works fine with free version of SMath Viewer, however if I generate the .exe file using a valid key for paid version, I get error.

Basically, for free version:

Quote:
    include("_steel.sm" )=15

for paid version:

Quote:
    include("_steel.sm" )=0

(Thank you for your work on SMath!)
    Offline Jean Giraud  
    #39 Posted : 07 January 2016 18:45:50(UTC)
    Jean Giraud

Canada

From Martin:

1. It would be nice if the exported app would include only the required plugins. Currently, everything is exported, even those which are disabled in the plugins manager. Advanced users typically have their installation full of stuff, which then blows up even the simplest example apps. An alternative is, of course, to have different installations with different selections of installed plugins. That, however, is hard to maintain consistently. I see, of course, the problem of how to determine the dependencies in multifile plugins just like the maplewrapper or dataexchange. If there is an easy solution, that would be welcome.

[1.] You can't be more right: two many dormant plugins that are red for most of them.
    It may be one of those buggers that freak Smath compute complex .... limits Sigma summator in dct2 [from last night].
    My Smath survives for what it does by itself and luckyly Maple survives too !!!
    In the context "Viewer", I don't even understand what it should do.
    EXAMPLE: That Matrix plugin Excel style => piece of crap, my Matrix treasury does many times more.
    Why ? because it takes Smath results and treats Smath results ++++

[2.] My "Smath preview" shows: Year/Month/Day Hour/Minutes/Second ... page 1/2, page 1/3 ...

Cheers to all collabs.

Jean
    Offline Jean Giraud  
    #40 Posted : 07 January 2016 18:52:12(UTC)
    Jean Giraud

Canada

Example "Print preview" [in local time]

7 jan 2016 10:47:12 Scrap de Casteljau.sm
    page 1/2