Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mkraska  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2012 13:40:15(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Hello,

I just revised my finite element analysis SMath scripts and made the following observation with SMath 0.95.

The definitions of Knum and Ksymb are identical except that the optimization setting for the statement is numeric and symbolic respectively.

SMath file

IMHO this tends to be more a bug than a feature.

Given the sometimes unexpected side effects of the optimization settings, I would recommend to provide a clear visual tag on what setting is active for a given statement, preferrably different versions of the assignment and display operators, e.g.:

• a= display result of numeric evaluation
  • a-> display result of symbolic evaluation (as the corresponding symbol in the math panel suggests)
  • a:=expr assign (delayed) numeric evaluation
  • a<-expr assign (delayed) symbolic evaluation

eval() would then just enforce immediate evaluation, be it numeric or symbolic, depending on the assignment operator. One might wish to add tags for no evaluation at all, however, I never felt need for it.

One big advantage of the SMath electronic paper over spreadsheets like excel is the self documenting display of what is to be calculated. Currently, one has to inspect every expression via nested RMB clicks in order to find out evaluation (or "optimization" ) settings.

I believe that implementation of the proposed markup could speed up the debugging process, because the sheets would be more transparent and the circumstances would be more reproducible. If I see a screenshot, there is no clue on what optimization settings are used and it is quite tedious to inspect every possibly "guilty" expression.

I am quite sure that my proposal might require significant work but I feel that the symbolic/numeric issue shall keep the developer and the users busy for quite some time. Thus it might be worth the effort.

Best regards, Martin Kraska

PS: Why is sqrt(16) not reduced to 4?

symbolic/numeric problem

Edited by user 23 March 2014 19:03:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2012 14:59:11(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,

I think it has something to the transpose bug Transpose-functions-bug. I tried your example with the corrected Syslib.7z and the same result as you presented. Rearranging the expression will get the result right.
transnottrans.png

I think that in your example happened some similar thing like in the reported bug, as like you used B(ee)*transpose(B(ee)) instead of transpose(B(ee))*B(ee).

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2012 15:21:24(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Hello Radovan,

thank you for clarifying the nature of the bug. I agree that this is an example of the wrong symbolic handling of non-commutative multiplication. So this topic may well be deleted or moved by admin.

Best regards, Martin

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx