Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Davide Carpi  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2012 14:33:14(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1340 time(s) in 879 post(s)
Hello!

There is anyway to add an external link in a text area?

I've tried this, but doesn't work Sad

P.S. isn't possible to nest a link into a single generic text area, like in the picture below? (it's an idea, for now doesn't work)

P.P.S. Many thanks to Andrey for the excellent job!!!

Edited by user 18 September 2012 01:28:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2012 18:21:12(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,

Your comment reminds me on Reference Book present in Smath (Help|Reference book). There are links and another SMath files and there is a nice preview of this book. I do not know how was this book made exactly but it is quite similar to Mathcad Handbooks. All the files from the book can be found in the "book" folder. There are SMath files with the links inside (do not know how the links are made there?). Those files can be opened separately (but not edited). Although we can copy the contents from the files into the SMath worksheet, they are not working SMath files - they serve only for reviewing of math concepts using SMath capabilities in making text and math regions.

There would be very attractive and useful if this "book" capability of SMath could be extended in order to make contents, links to other files - but with live and working worksheets. Actually, SMath books quite similar to Mathcad Handbooks.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2012 23:20:27(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
omorr wrote:
Those files can be opened separately (but not edited). Although we can copy the contents from the files into the SMath worksheet, they are not working SMath files - they serve only for reviewing of math concepts using SMath capabilities in making text and math regions.

The only difference between regular editable files and ones presented in the Reference book is this checkbox:

Regards.
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2012 05:05:13(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Thanks Andrey on reminding us about this "Read only" option.

There still remains a comment that these are not working files (constructions, like limits etc. - have no idea how was this made) and how the links are managed.
Actually, is there any chance that we can make something similar like making a "contents.sm" file with the links to another *sm files in order to work like Reference book. One of the first books could be a SMath Help book, for instance. It crossed my mind that besides Tutorials on the Wiki made by some people (like single pdf files or single *sm file) there could be a Tutorial book. Such kind of book could even exist in the Help menu of SMath (there is no SMath Help yet) like the Reference books as well. Existing a Help book like this one I would consider as a very important improvement of SMath. I mentioned similar functionality in Mathcad (e-books, handbooks) but in the case of SMath it could be localized to other languages maybe even through "Lang" system.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 12 April 2012 09:27:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2012 12:40:34(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1340 time(s) in 879 post(s)
omorr wrote:
Thanks Andrey on reminding us about this "Read only" option.

There still remains a comment that these are not working files (constructions, like limits etc. - have no idea how was this made) and how the links are managed.
Actually, is there any chance that we can make something similar like making a "contents.sm" file with the links to another *sm files in order to work like Reference book. One of the first books could be a SMath Help book, for instance. It crossed my mind that besides Tutorials on the Wiki made by some people (like single pdf files or single *sm file) there could be a Tutorial book. Such kind of book could even exist in the Help menu of SMath (there is no SMath Help yet) like the Reference books as well. Existing a Help book like this one I would consider as a very important improvement of SMath. I mentioned similar functionality in Mathcad (e-books, handbooks) but in the case of SMath it could be localized to other languages maybe even through "Lang" system.

Regards,
Radovan

I think it's a fantastic idea Good ; unfortunately currently the only way to manage links it's a text-editor... would be desirable to add a new voice in the context menu, something like the "input controls" of TheWizEd (http://en.smath.info/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1153)

P.S. I've tried to redirect the smath link pointing an *.html file containing a classic meta tag
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; url=http://en.smath.info">

but seems that the smath link may point to *.sm local files only...
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2013 15:54:45(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,

Just wanted to refresh this topic regarding Reference Book issue. In the meantime few Tutorials appeared in different languages Good - mainly in PDF format. I have no idea if the next SMath release would bring the possibility of making our own "Reference Books", but suppose that preparing "live" teaching material in this way would give much more fun to all of us.

Regards,
Radovan
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 17/02/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2013 10:41:35(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1128 time(s) in 724 post(s)
Hello,

"active" reference books are definitely preferrable over static ones (like pdf). From the author's perspective, this would much simplify the update of examples. Why do all the pdfs appear anyways? For real books you need elementary formatting and structuring tools, including cross referencing. Actually, you can include links to sm files in pdfs, but most browsers will block execution due to security reasons. An exception is the TexWorks pdf viewer that comes with MikTeX.

If we had self-exporting area regions (export everything between the delimiter lines to a file given by the region title), then we could insert smath snippets as external images in the text and back-link them against the sm file. Once the image is clicked, the sm file opens. Upon closing the file, all self-exports are updated and so are the externally linked images. In instruction books, you may prefer to freeze the externally linked images in the published versions, otherwise unexperienced users could spoil the book.

Best regards, Martin
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 18/02/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2013 17:39:36(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
please look at the second answer about attaching external files with pdftk
it might bypass the security prompts

Edited by user 18 February 2013 17:42:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 18/02/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2013 21:18:39(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
please look at the second answer about attaching external files with pdftk
it might bypass the security prompts

Thanks for that hint. Following the idea of attaching files to pdfs, I found that there is a pdflatex package attachfile which looks promising. I definitely shall give this a try.

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline kilele  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2013 22:49:43(UTC)
kilele

It seems that this feature is not going to get around the prompts warnings,
anyway it makes pdfs more compact and portable, besides every pdf reader has an icon to show the attached files into another window view allowing to sort them by name, date, description, etc.
This is another software to attach files on pdf (apart from pdftk) though it does not allow to enter descriptions.
http://jpdftweak.sourceforge.net/

Edited by user 26 February 2013 12:04:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 19 February 2013 01:51:24(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Attaching files to pdfs from within latex seems to work. I updated the handbook in the wiki (link in signature) which now contains two attachments: 1 sm on page 75 and 1 odt on page 46.

My experience in testing the file with different viewers (double clicking the links should open the file in the appropriate application):

texworks: completely unaware of attachments
Acrobat Reader:
sm file: "no associated application"
odt file: ok (open in Libre Office)
Foxit Reader: complains about illegal characters in the filenames (they have a " attached at the end)
PDF exchange viewer: same as Acrobat reader.

Acrobat and PDF exchange viewer can save the sm file to disk, from where they can be launched from file manager. Thus the file association is there. However, there seem to be different levels of tightness in these associations. LibreOffice and OpenOffice find their way to the standard software definition page in the systems control application, while SMath does not.

Any idea how to fix this is welcome.

mkraska attached the following image(s):
pdfview.PNG
Martin Kraska

Offline kilele  
#12 Posted : 19 February 2013 02:30:21(UTC)
kilele

By default I open worksheets with an old version of smath and your embedded .sm was opened correctly with xchange and acrobat readers (the.odt as well with msword),
however I wanted to see what happened when opening attachments with the current version of SMath and so I got the same problem as you Sad
I changed back the association to the old SMath and the attached file opens well again.
It looks like something related to the current SMath version 0.95. At least with 0.89 attached .sm are opened right.

Edited by user 26 February 2013 12:10:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kilele  
#13 Posted : 19 February 2013 14:05:38(UTC)
kilele

pdf attachments work for me with the portable Smath version (pity it doesn't support plugins)

I unistalled the old version and removed all file associations, and tried to open the pdf attachments with the newest one unsuccesfully,
so I would say it is a problem with how the newer smath versions (for old versions seems to work) deals with the installation process and file associations in the registry.

Edited by user 26 February 2013 12:11:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 19/02/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#14 Posted : 19 February 2013 19:09:43(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

kilele,

thank you for testing the file association issue. I shall post an according bug report. This pdf attachment stuff is really nice. Even if the process of defining the attachments in the lyx document source is still a bit cumbersome, the amount of attached files in the handbook is going to grow.

Martin
Martin Kraska