Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jamlatino  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2012 23:56:25(UTC)
jamlatino

Groups: Registered

I have gone crazy trying to figure out what I´m doing wrong but I came to the conclusion that there must be some kind of bug because I try to do a calculation in different ways and I get different results. I don´t know how to attach a file or insert an image of what I mean, can someone help?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2012 00:34:24(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,
jamlatino wrote:
I have gone crazy trying to figure out what I´m doing wrong but I came to the conclusion that there must be some kind of bug because I try to do a calculation in different ways and I get different results. I don´t know how to attach a file or insert an image of what I mean, can someone help?

1. Try to use "Live" version here. Use "Upload" and upload your *.sm file. If everything goes well - get the link and put it here. Pay attention that there are restrictions regarding Live version - no plots, complicated programming structures etc. Actually, if Live version can not "swallow" your file - error will be issued.

2.Register to some free hosting service like, say, dropbox. You will get free 2GB space initially (never expires). There you can have your folders, upload files etc. Put your files in the dropbox "Public" folder. Get the links to the files ( right mouse click and get the "Public link" ) and put those links in your posts here on the Forum by using "Insert image" if there is a link to an image, or "Create link" if there is a link to a file - as easy as that.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 29 January 2012 00:35:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline jamlatino  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:14:08(UTC)
jamlatino

Thanks so much for your help, here's the link to the file with the error I mentioned

Error
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2012 11:34:17(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,

It seems there is a bug in SMath, or at least something we must take care off. Here is the expression.
GAr(A,G,i,n)←A*({(1+i)^n-1}/{(1+i)^n*i})+G/i*({(1+i)^n-1}/{(1+i)^n*i}-n/{(1+i)^n})
Now, if the Optimization|Symbolic is set, here is the result - it seems the wrong one:
GAr(1000,100,0.04,5)=4453.1911
Now, if the Optimization|Numeric or None is set, it is the right one:
GAr(1000,100,0.04,5)=5307.2893

On the other hand, apparently strange thing happen when you exchange the order of regions
1. First expressions then assignment - wrong

2. First assignment then expressions - right

Actually, I found the reason. The problem is in variable "i" - imaginary unit , but I still believe this is wrong regarding the function definition. Just change everywhere the variable "i" into something else and there would be no problem. For instance:

GAr(A,G,ii,n)←(A*({(1+ii)^n-1}/{(1+ii)^n*ii}))+(G/ii*({(1+ii)^n-1}/{(1+ii)^n*ii}-n/{(1+ii)^n}))
GAr(1000,100,0.04,5)=5307.2893
Regardless the Optimization set.

On the other hand, when you did it step by step - the imaginary unit was used and not the variable you defined AFTER the expressions defined. You would have seen this by putting the mouse over the expression (symbolic value) if the imaginary unit would have been replaced by its value or:
f1—(1+sqrt(-1))^n
instead of:
f1—(1+i)^n

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 29 January 2012 12:35:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jamlatino  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2012 16:38:40(UTC)
jamlatino

Thanks a lot, I changed i to ii as you suggested and got the right answer, but still, is there a bug in the program?
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2012 16:59:06(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Yes, I think it is a bug regarding function definition and using variable "i" as a fictive argument. The safest way is not to use it as an argument in function definition

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT:
Actually, there is a solution. Define function with line(). Often, this will be the only way we can define a function. Based on my experience, it seems that the safest way is to define even a single line function by using line() environment. Maybe a bit confusing, but I do not know whay is that working this way:
f(i)←line(i^2,1,1)
f(100)=10000

Contrary to the wrong one

f(i)←i^2
f(100)=-1

Edited by user 29 January 2012 17:28:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified