Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ola_nicolas  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2017 23:20:52(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Groups: Registered
Romania

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Example 1.sm (33kb) downloaded 69 time(s). Example 2.sm (33kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
Greetings.
In the above attachments, I have illustrated two variants of a triple interpolation method, imagined by me. Each of the two examples contains the interpolation algorithm applied twice. The difference between the two examples is only the fact that in one of them, the two different applications of the same algorithm have been reversed. As you can see, there is an error in Attachment 1, while in Attachment 2, this error no longer exists. The question is, why two different applications of this algorithm in the same file lead to different results? In order to be able to quickly verify the intrinsic correctness of the algorithm, we can make the variable lb = 1, and the results of the calculations will be found properly, directly in the data matrices. Along with one of the algorithm applications, there is also an image with the variable assignment scheme and the correspondence of the rows and columns of the different matrices involved in calculating the algorithm design. The algorithm of this triple interpolation was designed on an older version of a SMath Studio Portable, but the error still persists in portable 98.6484, which I downloaded today from the Internet. I'm waiting for some thoughts about the probable causes of the problem, but I do not exclude suggestions for other algorithms to solve triple linear interpolation problems in SMath. I mention that the phenomenon presented here does not manifest in MathCAD14, no matter how many times I apply the algorithm imagined by me during the same file.
All the best.

Post scriptum: I found out after posting that I misplaced the subject, which actually had to be placed at the "Question" sub-forum. I'm sorry, and I'm asking the moderator to move the subject to the right place.

Edited by user 21 November 2017 23:35:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2017 03:38:36(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
The issue in Example 1 is simply that in the 2nd loop you are overwriting data in the existing matrix M, therefore the size of this matrix is not the one you expected (is the initial size because the loop in the second application is shorter than the first, 4 vs 8 elements); to avoid this call a Clear(M) before using M in the second loop (alternatively you can call even M:matrix(0,0))

Edited by user 22 November 2017 03:41:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2017 03:41:00(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ola_nicolas Go to Quoted Post
I have illustrated two variants of a triple interpolation method, imagined by me

Easy to interpolate within a matrix [attached].
Not sure what is "two variants triple interpolation".
You can apply CreateMesh on a splined matrix.

Jean

Example 1.sm (70kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

Offline ola_nicolas  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2017 11:20:37(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Hi!
@Davide Carpi: On the two examples we can make any mathematical analysis we want. But I have mainly mentioned how the program behaves in this type of construction. Of course the arrays are of different sizes. I have solved through this algorithm a problem of complex interpolation on domains. After applying the basic algorithm (see green box references) on all specific sub-domains, the result will ultimately be given by a logical decision algorithm that is not presented in the files. So the algorithm was applied twice, representing as many subdomains of the interpolated phenomenon. It will usually be applied more than twice - usually 4 ... 5 times over a domain represented by a complex phenomenon. Here I just have summarized two application.
@Jean Giraud: I'm sorry. I'm an engineer. Mathematics is just a tool for me to try to solve problems specific to my job. Generally, I did not studied the most advanced methods to solve a given problem, but I modeled the problems myself, as I imagined. I'll study the links you have indicated. If they do not take a long time to understand them and if they have advantages in the specific engineering practice, then I will try to substitute those for what I have imagined - which I have been using since 1999 when I first came into contact with a program assisted design in mathematics. The results were gratifying to me. This is the first time in almost 18 years when the algorithm gives errors, which has not happened on the different versions of MathCAD. That's why I asked here. In my opinion, the algorithm should have gone to SMath, however "primitive" it would be in terms of mathematics.

Edited by user 22 November 2017 11:26:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2017 12:15:10(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi Nicolas,

Hi!
@Davide Carpi: On the two examples we can make any mathematical analysis we want. But I have mainly mentioned how the program behaves in this type of construction. Of course the arrays are of different sizes. I have solved through this algorithm a problem of complex interpolation on domains. After applying the basic algorithm (see green box references) on all specific sub-domains, the result will ultimately be given by a logical decision algorithm that is not presented in the files. So the algorithm was applied twice, representing as many subdomains of the interpolated phenomenon. It will usually be applied more than twice - usually 4 ... 5 times over a domain represented by a complex phenomenon. Here I just have summarized two application.

It's not a problem how many times you apply the algorithm, I've just explained you what is happening and how to fix it;

When you ask to assign a value to an index that doesn't exits, the matrix is extended up to that index; if the index exists, the element is simply overwritten.

The first time, elements of M are always not yet defined -> at each loop the matrix is extended
- i = 1 -> M = { V1 }
- i = 2 -> M = { V1 , V2 }
- i = 3 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 }
- i = 4 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 }
- i = 5 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 }
- i = 6 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 }
- i = 7 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 }
- i = 8 -> M = { V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 , V8 }

then you ask to interpolate between T.1 (8 elements) and M (8 elements) -> OK

The second time, there are 8 elements in M -> since you are looping up to the 4th element, at each loop the elements are overwritten
- i = 1 -> M = { NEW_V1 , V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 , V8 }
- i = 2 -> M = { NEW_V1 , NEW_V2 , V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 , V8 }
- i = 3 -> M = { NEW_V1 , NEW_V2 , NEW_V3 , V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 , V8 }
- i = 4 -> M = { NEW_V1 , NEW_V2 , NEW_V3 , NEW_V4 , V5 , V6 , V7 , V8 }

then you ask to interpolate between T.2 (4 elements) and M (8 elements) -> error

Using Clear(M) or M:matrix(0,0) you initialize a new matrix and this fix your issue.

2017-11-22 10_13_26-SMath Studio - [Example%201.sm_].png

Edited by user 22 November 2017 12:21:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline ola_nicolas  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2017 14:55:16(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Good afternoon.
OK. If I understand correctly, the reason for errors, is the persistence (and at the same time the existence outside the first programmed algorithm) of the contents of the internal register M, which becomes an unwanted connection between the two programmed calculations. It will probably take some time until I get along with this matter. In MathCAD, the contents of internal registers of a programmable calculation are not accessible externally. The issue has both a good side. Due to this particularity, the program can be tracked and verified step by step. I also understand the meaning of the "Clear (x)" command. Thank you very much for the patience to expose me all these mechanisms. If you told me before, I probably did not read it carefully. I will count on the tips and will only come back if I will encounter other problems. Regarding your suggestion to donate, I'm sure all donations made so far are well worth it and I hope there will be many more in the future for this forum. To do it myself, I'm waiting for better times as far as I am concerned. If I had available funds, then I would probably be re-licensed for MathCAD, and this discussion probably does not take place.
I can only offer you my friendship as gratitude. Otherwise ... All right.

Edited by user 22 November 2017 14:59:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2017 16:20:51(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

OK. If I understand correctly, the reason for errors, is the persistence (and at the same time the existence outside the first programmed algorithm) of the contents of the internal register M, which becomes an unwanted connection between the two programmed calculations.

Yes. A variable is isolated in reading only when the variable name is passed as argument of a function, then the one passed is used instead the one "external"; is isolated in writing when the line() function is immediately on the RHS (Right Hand Side) of an assignment operator (:)
In your case since line isn't on the RHS of a function nor of an assignment, M can be both read and written.

Thank you very much for the patience to expose me all these mechanisms. If you told me before, I probably did not read it carefully. I will count on the tips and will only come back if I will encounter other problems.

You're welcome, feel free to ask again her in the forum for any issue Good

Regarding your suggestion to donate, I'm sure all donations made so far are well worth it and I hope there will be many more in the future for this forum. To do it myself, I'm waiting for better times as far as I am concerned. If I had available funds, then I would probably be re-licensed for MathCAD, and this discussion probably does not take place.
I can only offer you my friendship as gratitude. Otherwise ... All right.

That's enough for me Good
BTW it is just my signature, isn't a message directed to you in particular; from time to time someone ask for a donation for my plugins, but I prefer if the money goes to the program to help it keeping alive... no obligations, only a suggestion for those who have the money and want to make a donation Biggrin

Edited by user 22 November 2017 16:32:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ola_nicolas  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2017 19:03:47(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Good evening.

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
... it is just my signature, isn't a message directed to you in particular ...

I'm sorry about that. I think I read again on the run. In order for there to be no other interpretation, I will offer you a virtual pint of pints and my righteous excuses. I will also send you ((in particular - only if you want)) a link to the article I am preparing and will probably appear within a maximum of one week. Here (in the country I live in) many people are busy doing free propaganda to culture, but especially to science and technology. There is also on the frontispiece of the portal that I have published several articles, the urging of its members and visitors to donate for the smooth running of the activities. However, everything I've published so far has done through volunteering. I would be happy if one or more of my articles would make some readers choose the way of knowing but not the one of delinquency. I also give you my respect and best wishes. Thank you again.

I'm going back to post-scriptum to tell you that I would like to thank you for your post # 5, but it seems like the button with this function does not work with me.

Edited by user 22 November 2017 19:17:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#9 Posted : 22 November 2017 20:53:46(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

but it seems like the button with this function does not work with me.

Alternately, use the Mathcad re-coded Smath, woks fine. The bonus is the 2D surface plot.
My understanding is that you first want interpolate a square/rectangular matrix.
This document does it well. It is based on conventional metric domain.
Further, if the project consists in comparing various interpolation(s) between several matrices,
simply a matter of extending the project. Your original domain(s) at the end of the document.

Please let me know after reading.

Jean

Spline Matrix Tutorial METRIc Domain.sm (82kb) downloaded 26 time(s).

Offline Jean Giraud  
#10 Posted : 23 November 2017 20:16:11(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Hello Nicolas,

Your project is all resume in there ... as far as I understand [AFAIU].

Spline Matrix Tutorial METRIC Domain EXPLORER.sm (36kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
Offline ola_nicolas  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2017 00:51:51(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Hello.
It is very difficult for me to focus, analyze now and understand what the files attached to you are. Not that I could not, but my time is limited, and my thinking works in terms of the profession I practice. I think you want to propose new interpolations instead of the one I exemplify. What I can tell you is that the examples provided by me are part of a broader program (which already exists) that provides me with a multi-varied (simple, double, or triple) interpolation a certain physical feature for a wide category of materials of the same type and which may depend on one, two, or even three parameters. You have to keep in mind that what I exemplified in the first post is just the variant of triple interpolation. There are others. All this ends with a logical decision block that sets the final applicable feature. Then the program continues with other calculations using what has already been calculated. As I said, it is a great complexity and great stretching. It is much easier for me to use data in the form of matrix because I can get them much easier from the graphs and data tables provided by the producers of the materials in question. What I did not understand, I was able to clarify, through the courtesy of Mr. Davide Carpi, who explained to me very clearly what I did not do well in the files that I have attached. I have made the necessary changes and now I get comparable results to the version I was using in MathCAD. Your files will be used (probable) by someone else who studies the mathematical phenomenon itself. However, I thank you for your concern.

Edited by user 24 November 2017 01:12:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#12 Posted : 24 November 2017 05:13:21(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

"triple interpolation"

That's what I don't understand "triple interpolation".
I will revisit some of the Mathcad projects

Cheers.

Offline ola_nicolas  
#13 Posted : 24 November 2017 13:55:38(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
... That's what I don't understand "triple interpolation" ...

Hello Jean Giraud.
I do not claim that I have formulated correctly by a term like "triple interpolation". However, I have defined in the previous post what I meant by formulating this way.
Otherwise, looking at what you posted on another topic and another section, I managed to understand the alternative you proposed under the notion of "spline matrix". There are indeed some advantages that I will try to exploit in the future. Now I would like somebody to tell me about the use of insertable objects under the name of "tables" in SMath. It bothers me when using matrices, that it takes too much physical space on a program page. In MatCAD I know that these objects can be adjusted to a minimum surface, no matter how many data they contain. I have tried to understand the problem myself, but there seems to be differences with MathCAD. It would help me if someone could post one or more links to tutorials, or examples with this theme.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#14 Posted : 24 November 2017 16:09:39(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Now I would like somebody to tell me about the use of insertable objects under the name of "tables" in SMath.

The Smath component insert "Table" is a gadget that will fabricate an Excel style table
In maths, at the design stage, we just work with matrices. In Smath like in Mathcad,
you can insert/delete cols/rows anywhere ... you replace part of a matrix by another one
at any col/row location ... you can order cols/rows as you wish.
You can rotate cols/rows ,,, select/extract cols/rows
More can be done, those things come to mind from your keyword insertable.
All those red manipulations listed, they come from little tools that can be collapsed
at the top the work sheet, thus leaving the work space neat and clean.

It looks like you have a monster project on the design board.
Easier to catch the bull by the horns than catching a horse by the horn !

Cheers ... Jean

Offline Jean Giraud  
#15 Posted : 24 November 2017 23:12:39(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... maybe that's what you are looking for ?

A huge image in work sheet. Please let us know, will need help.

Jean

Spline2D_Composite.sm (66kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
Offline ola_nicolas  
#16 Posted : 27 November 2017 08:54:23(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

... It looks like you have a monster project on the design board ...

Good morning.
I do not know what you call the "monster project". I have many more complex calculations. The one of which I want to extract only a small part to publish it as an attachment file in an article on the internet, has 20 pages. Matrixes in the form of "insertable tables" have at most the size of some postage stamps. In the rest are mathematical relationships of all kinds (including those in the programmable form) logical decision blocks for optimizing results, graphics, illustrative sketches, etc. Everything is included in three functional areas, which closed, leaving me a separate space in two. The one at the top of the screen is for entering the data, while the one at the bottom for displaying the results. If I could use the original MathCAD files, the matter would have been a piece of cake. But it has become complicated, just by the need to transfer everything to the Smath. So the problem is not a mathematical one. The problem is I thought I could quickly learn to use SMath. It does not look like MathCAD much like I thought. All I have to do is study. I will use the tutorials and examples I will find on the internet, and when I do not understand, I will use your explanations on this forum. Otherwise, almost all engineering projects are "monster projects". We work with nonlinear, differential, integral equations, many special mathematics issues, but it is mostly the order of the day to interpolate the data, which are many and varied. They can depend on 1, 2, 3, or even more interpolation parameters, etc. All the best.

Edited by user 27 November 2017 09:06:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#17 Posted : 27 November 2017 19:22:15(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

We work with nonlinear, differential, integral equations, many special mathematics issues, but it is mostly the order of the day to interpolate the data, which are many and varied. They can depend on 1, 2, 3, or even more interpolation parameters, etc. All the best.

I have hard times to see an engineering project 20 pages long.

What you are saying above is supicious under the hood:
If you have function(s), you don't have to interpolate, the function(s) is/are
interpolation function by themselves. Now, you can't interpolate raw data from collection.
You must first fit the data to a best model function that can have as many parameters as you
wish or as needed to fit the data. If a differential equation can model the data, just spline
the data from the DE solver(s). Integral Equations [Voltera/Fredholm] depend again upon the
accuracy of the numerical integrator. Smath does not solve two components Voltera, attached.

If Mathcad does the all project, stay with Mathcad for the "paper".
Attach pieces of the overall project, see what Smath Community can do.
May be worth revisit "linterp, Spline2D".

Jean

Unsolved Voltera IntEQUATION.sm (12kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

Interpolate [Linterp, Spline2D].sm (118kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

Offline ola_nicolas  
#18 Posted : 29 November 2017 10:07:43(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

Good morning, Jean Giraud.
I have too little time for forum discussions. I will answer as quickly as possible. The first point in an engineering project is data interpolation. There can not be otherwise, because there are many phenomena (I only quote electromagnetic and thermotechnical ones) where there are no analytical formulas that model some phenomena and / or physical quantities. So the first step (area) of an engineering project will be data interpolation. At this stage, the interpolation functions are also established. They may exist outside of my science, but my job is not to study the mathematical methods, but the engineering issue itself. The second stage (area) is the calculation itself, where they interfere analytical relations of the discipline, the equations and the special methods of all kinds. The third stage (area) of an engineering project is the one that presents some graphical schemes and results. The project starts as I said with a data entry area and ends with a display of the results. In the country where I live, book prices are prohibitive. Nor do my self allow for a long time to buy new books. Indeed, because of this, many well-known authors have abandoned the very idea of ​​publishing. Because of this and many others (which they do not I enumerate), the education has lost much of the valences and influence they had ather time. Some of those who have learned and practiced technical professions (quite a few in number) have chosen to get involved by sharing their knowledge with young people on thematic forums. On the forums that I activated, I was the only that I tried to instill, including the interest in physical theory and mathematical tools to young people. Less than 2 out of 10 subjects have shown that they are interested in them. So if you (mathematicians) have found that mathematical tools have advanced in engineering, you could publish articles for those interested in computational examples on the Internet. Design examples of an electric transformer, rotating electric machines, or internal combustion engines would be very useful to young people. On this occasion, you will find that very few examples will contain less than 20 pages written in a specific math program, be it even SMath Studio.
Otherwise, all the best.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#19 Posted : 30 November 2017 02:22:07(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

I have too little time for forum discussions. I will answer as quickly as possible. The first point in an engineering project is data interpolation. There can not be otherwise, because there are many phenomena (I only quote electromagnetic and thermotechnical ones) where there are no analytical formulas that model some phenomena and / or physical quantities. So the first step (area) of an engineering project will be data interpolation. At this stage, the interpolation functions are also established.

1. "At this stage, the interpolation functions are also established."
I found NONE useful for me, or so little + implementing in Smath is not piece of cake.

2. "...where there are no analytical formulas that model some phenomena and / or physical quantities."
True: very many physical phenomenons aren't homogeneous under the hood to be modeled in single piece.
Piecewise modeling is a valid alternative. Example: atmospheric P, rho.

3. "The first point in an engineering project is data interpolation."
Can't be more wrong ! The first step in Engineering project is data smoothing ...
from where, hopefully, some interpolation can be designed.

I will soon post "Supersmoothlet" in "Samples".
You have data, raw data => attach so to captivate Smath community interest/contribution.

Cheers Nicolas
Offline ola_nicolas  
#20 Posted : 04 December 2017 19:23:28(UTC)
ola_nicolas

Romania

... Can't be more wrong ![/b][/color] The first step in Engineering project is data smoothing ...

Best regards Jean Giraud.
Which data should be smoothed ???! If you analyze the examples I have given, you will see that there are no data entered in the matrix or vector form. The data matrices provided by me in the initial examples, I have said very clearly, are data provided by the producers of materials or devices whose characteristics are not determined by analytical mathematical formulas, but only by measurements in the laboratories of the respective manufacturers. These data are provided either tabularly or graphically and as such have already been processed and smoothed by the vendor (in the case of the tables) or by myself before the start of the project. Based on them, I just have to interpolate according to the concrete values of the characteristics that interest me. They do not require any smoothing.
I'm sorry, but the conversation deviated a lot from the subject.
All the best.