Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Kenny Lemens  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2022 02:45:23(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Greetings!

Information pertaining to Keyboard Shortcuts is scattered across the WIKI, the Forums, Interactive Handbooks, and SMath Tutorial PDFs. While it is possible for seasoned SMath users to find this data, tracking down a list of keyboard shortcuts can be a daunting task for new users. In addition, it is common for new users to migrate to SMath from Mathcad 15.0, but a sided-by-side comparison of keyboard commands is nowhere to be found.

With these thoughts in mind, I compiled the following 6-paged PDF:

[v0.99] SMath Keyboard Shortcuts.pdf (593kb) downloaded 375 time(s). Dated: 2022-12-09

Some of this data will be outdated as v1.00 has been released, but most of these keypresses should still hold true. If you discover an error (or would like to mention an additional command/action), please post a reply.

May this be of Good Help;
- Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

List of Sources:

"No matter where you go, there you are." -Buckaroo Banzai

Hotkeys: https://en.smath.com/for...rce.ashx?a=45771&b=2
thanks 6 users thanked Kenny Lemens for this useful post.
on 15/12/2022(UTC),  on 15/12/2022(UTC),  on 15/12/2022(UTC),  on 15/12/2022(UTC),  on 15/12/2022(UTC),  on 05/04/2023(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline PompelmoTell  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2022 13:25:22(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
An opportunity (however often happens in this forum) in which the "thanks" must be written for extensive
sergio
Offline mkraska  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2022 13:38:35(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1127 time(s) in 723 post(s)
Thanks for the compilation.

I bookmark your post as a remainder for the next update of my german handbook , which has two sections dedicated to operator input and key bindings (Appendix B and C).

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 15/12/2022(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2022 15:26:28(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1334 time(s) in 877 post(s)
As side note, "false look-alike characters" are called homoglyphs Good

See Wikipedia or Unicode.
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Kenny Lemens  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2022 22:56:54(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Man
United States

Salutations!

If you are used to Mathcad 15.0, you will have difficulty Creating/Navigating a worksheet because SMath has limited support when it comes to hotkeys/keyboard operations. SMath requires a fair amount of operations to be achieved via the mouse [🖰], which can be annoying (and time consuming) if you wish to type a lot of math/text quickly.
   Whereas I did identify some remedies/workarounds (i.e., insert ▮⊕▮ (xor Operator) via HEX code 00A4 [Currency sign symbol: ¤]), this remains a work-around and does not actually address the issue. Therefore, I developed the following code:

'VB.net - Framework 2.0; Windows 10 Pro x64; SMath 0.99.7822.147 [English, USA]
keybinding_with_IPluginMenuExtender.vb.txt (38kb) downloaded 21 time(s).

Preview:

Q: ) Will you be deploying this as a SMath Extension?
A: ) No, I do not plan to. As to why, the reason is simple: I do not know how this plugin will behave across different languages/keyboard configurations/operating systems. Before I could release a plugin I am proud of, I would need to address the implications that will result from these different configurations. In addition, such a plugin would beg the developer to permit users to customize key bindings to any given action; I do not have the time to develop such a great utility. Finally: such a plugin has the dangers of being greedy; I would not be able to guarantee such a plugin to respect (either by yielding or overtaking) keystrokes reserved by any given plugin.

Q: ) Why is this code written in Visual Basic and not C++
A: ) VB.net is not the better language, but rather I cannot ignore the benefits of VB within my profession. It is easy to read, less prone to make syntax errors, has a large range of implementations from VBScript in Mathcad, to VBA in MSOffice, from VB6 to VB.net in VSTO/Desktop applications. With that being said, I will not be posting the C++ equivalent as I am not proficient in doing so; I apologize for the inconvenience.

With that being said, here are some of my 'lessons learned' during my research:
  • These shortcut key commands must utilize Modifier keys; exceptions will be thrown if a shortcut is specified with a single keystroke (ie., you cannot bind 「;」, but you can bind 「Ctrl」+「;」). An exception to this rule may be the F1-F12 keys.
  • Depending if a region is selected, a keypress will need to be handled differently to achieve the desired results. The code provided above will try to create a new region if nothing is selected; else it will send an action into the current region.
  • All Menu Buttons are NOT created equal! While I did not explore this in earnest, I did observe that the shortcut keys bound to context menu buttons will not work unless the context menu is expanded. In addition, shortcut keys bound to menu buttons within the INSERT menu will not execute if a region is selected (that is this, for these keybindings to work, the developer must utilize IPluginMenuExtender as IPluginCustomRegion can only influence the INSERT menu)
  • These shortcut keys need not to be limited to inserting Mathematical operators! You will notice I developed keybindings so that the Document Pointer () can be moved via keyboard without entering a region. This is huge as navigation solely by the keyboard is nigh impractical.

May this be of Good Help, Merry Christmas;
- Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ

thanks 1 user thanked Kenny Lemens for this useful post.
on 16/12/2022(UTC)
Offline Kenny Lemens  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2022 18:07:51(UTC)
Kenny Lemens

Man
United States

Greetings,

Just so everybody is aware, several posts were just deleted by the Administrator, most of which were off topic and had no correlation to keyboards/keybindings. However, one post did contained profanity.

As such, I want to encourage users to report posts if they have no relevance to the topic at hand; the Administrator has the discretion to transfer/edit/delete depending on the complaint/merits. To report a post (and provide a description of your complaint), use the [🚩 REPORT] Button in the bottom right of any post.

For the record, below are the contents of the post(s) that were purged from this thread:

Thank you,
- Kenny Lemens, P.E. ᵂᴵ

Edited by user 27 February 2023 18:37:37(UTC)  | Reason: More Profanity

thanks 2 users thanked Kenny Lemens for this useful post.
on 16/12/2022(UTC),  on 17/12/2022(UTC)