Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NA-Drew  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2012 20:37:14(UTC)
NA-Drew

Groups: Registered

I've been using SMath for a while now but with the last release I've come across an annoying and reoccurring problem. Periodically when working through and changing values in pre-existing equations the resulting calculation time becomes indefinite. There appears to be no common cause to this and the equations involved are not complex. I've left it running for 15-30 mins to try and clear this issue but it never stops calculating.

Sometimes rewriting the equation from scratch clears the problem but not always. It often seems to be caused by copying and pasting equations from one page to another, but again this is not always the case.

This can be a fairly major problem as if it occurs in a set of equations it effectively destroys the entire sheet's functionality.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2012 22:25:44(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,

Could you give us a concrete example of the problems you mentioned? I also found many situations when the calculation tends to be rather high and the impression in those cases is that the calculation will never end, although the problem does not seem to be to complicated. If this happened, I usually stop the calculation and try to use different kind of optimization. The numerical optimization can help sometimes. Therefore I suggest you to try this first. My opinion is that the problem is in the symbolic engine of SMath which is still evolving end developing.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2012 23:52:42(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
NA-Drew, did you try to completely remove the program and install it again? Try also to remove SMath folder from the Program Files to ensure everything clear after deinstallation (maybe you've used some third-party plugins?). As an alternative, try to work with Portable version - it is always has correct binaries inside.

Best regards.
Offline NA-Drew  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2012 11:39:14(UTC)
NA-Drew

Groups: Registered

Thank you,
I'll try these answers and see if that helps.

If not I'll post some examples up.

-Drew