Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline coreInterest  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2010 14:53:30(UTC)
coreInterest

Groups: Registered

Hello. Firstly i want to thank for great and free program - it really helped me a lot doing my calculations. But i was trying to launch it after some time and i got this report from my antivirus. Also i downloaded SMath Portable again, but again Avira AntiVir still reports virus and denies access:

Virus or unwanted program 'BDS/Poison.bsbg [backdoor]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop\Xenocode\Sandbox\SMath Studio Desktop\1.1.15.0\2010.07.23T01.30\Virtual\STUBEXE\8.0.1135\@DESKTOP@\SMathStudio_Desktop.exe.
Action performed: Deny access

I use Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus, OS: Windows XP.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2010 15:10:08(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello.

1) Maybe Avira AntiVir Personal doesn't like Xenocode Environment execution.
2) Maybe virus program on your PC is already exists and infecting all exe-files in real time.
3) Maybe Avira AntiVir Personal found "Check For Updates" feature of SMath Studio and thinks that this is backdoor.

I think that the most possible is a second item because SMathStudio_Desktop.exe has no code to be executed directly on CPU. SMathStudio_Desktop.exe contains intermediate (IL) code that should be interpreted by .Net Framework (I'm sure, that your antivirus application can't parse IL - so it can't find anything interesting there).

FYI: As I wrote couple of days ago about SMath Studio 0.89 Portable:
smath wrote:
"Softpedia guarantees that Portable SMath Studio 0.89 Build 3856 is 100% Clean, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors."

(details)

I just can advise you to install another antivirus, try to check SMath Studio Portable with Avira AntiVir but on another PC or to try to use Setup version instead.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline TripleKill rus  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2010 16:40:53(UTC)
TripleKill rus

I scanned it with the same antivirus running on the same OS. It found nothing.

Offline sven  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2010 20:13:52(UTC)
sven

He there,
I came across this very usefull tool a couple of days ago... Thanks for it.
And I also experienced the same virus found on the same file with the same antivirus software.
@TripleKill rus: Note that you scanned a different file then coreInterest did.
The mentioned file is deep into the folder structure that Smath STudio Portable creates when first executed.

I did a run with 2 different virus scanners launched from an linux system and they both did not find anything.
I'm unsure what to make out of this, but for the moment I am thinking that ANtivir is misinterpreting something.

Regards, Sven
Offline sven  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2010 13:08:50(UTC)
sven

He,

I did send the file to Avira and let them know the troubles described above.
Their response was that the virus message was a "false positive" recognition.
In one of the next updates the issue will be solved.

Sven
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2010 13:36:05(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
sven, thank you!
Offline coreInterest  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2010 21:07:13(UTC)
coreInterest

Thanks for your quick response, smath, and thanks to everybody who posted on this issue! I checked this file with TrendMicro online AV and it showed no threat. Also, after a few days i updated my Avira AntiVir, started SMath Portable and guess what - now there were no problem. That was false alarm - i had this thought from beginning, just wanted to be sure.