Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ing.sosa  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2010 03:47:04(UTC)
ing.sosa

Groups: Registered

This is the first i noted when starting working with units in some basic mass moments exercises for my students

The problem appears when trying to replace the "m2" units with "cm2"... but when tryng to represent the result in "cm" there is no problem, and the units have sense.

Thanks for this great software... An amazing job!!!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2010 04:12:17(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello.

I've tested your example and no error found:

(download the worksheet)

Please attach your *.sm file here so that I could check it.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline ing.sosa  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2010 04:19:00(UTC)
ing.sosa

Units File

Here is the file... Thanks for your reply
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2010 04:33:00(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

It is interesting. I've checked your file with 0.89 version and it is OK. Please can you check the About Dialog of the program in order to check versions of all libraries used? Information should look the same as on the picture below:

If it is the same, then this is very strange... Are you use Portable or Setup version of SMath Studio Desktop? (or maybe Handheld or Mono version?)

Regards.
Offline ing.sosa  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2010 04:46:41(UTC)
ing.sosa

Im using desktop version, not portable, and having the same library versions... any suggest?
Offline ing.sosa  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2010 04:59:34(UTC)
ing.sosa

After testing portable version, the problem has disappeared... need any information about my .net version?
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2010 05:03:49(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hmm. Actually I have two thoughts:
1) Try to reinstall the program and then restart your PC Biggrin
2) If (1) will not help, then I will prepare a special debug version of SMath Studio for you. It will create a log with all information I need to fix this stuff.

Waiting for your response regarding first item Good

Regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2010 05:05:49(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

ing.sosa wrote:
After testing portable version, the problem has disappeared... need any information about my .net version?

You've tried a Portable version and now no problem with that installed one?
Offline ing.sosa  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2010 05:27:32(UTC)
ing.sosa

The problem is not present only in the portable version, but remains in the msi version, even after reinstalling and rebooting... Tell me if you need something from me.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 29 August 2010 05:39:35(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Ok, thank you. Then I will prepare a version for debug purposes tomorrow and I will ask you to open the file with units.

Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#11 Posted : 29 August 2010 16:12:07(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hello.

ing.sosa wrote:
Tell me if you need something from me.

I've prepared a new version of SMath Studio with ability to log some debug information: SMathStudioDesktop.0_89_5.Setup.msi. First of all, please, install this version (previous one should be removed before you will start). To activate debugging you need to open the file units_debug.sm, wait till the automatic evaluation will be finished and then just close a program. This SM file has a mark inside, that will activate debugging, so after you'll close a program SMath Studio will automatically open a text file with all information I need to fix a problem. Please, copy all the text from the opened file here and I will check it.

P.S.: This new version of SMath Studio can be used to test new features and/or for everyday use. It has several minor issues only regarding new Area Control implementation.

Thanks in advance. Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
Offline ing.sosa  
#12 Posted : 29 August 2010 19:21:50(UTC)
ing.sosa

Here is the debug file! Hope this helps
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#13 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:05:17(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Many thanks!

It helped! Working to fix and will create a fixed package for you.

Regards.

Edited by user 29 August 2010 20:11:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#14 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:10:40(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Actually error appears only when "Answer (set)" option changed to f.e. "Real" item. If you will change it to "Standard" or "Auto" - you will not see this issue anymore.
If you don't mind I will not create an additional package, because issue can be easily fixed with Options Dialog. Ok?
Offline ing.sosa  
#15 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:23:11(UTC)
ing.sosa

No problem! The auto/standard solution worked great, and its good to know that this problem will be solved in next release. Anyway, i found another kind of issue discovered today, when inserting units in an example i made last week...

This is simpler, i guess, and its related with an error like "max positive numer reached"... calculing second moments of a figure, i'm sending you the file for further working.

I guess this new issue is related with the 4th power when trying to find second moments.

Thanks!
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#16 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:46:57(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

ing.sosa wrote:
its related with an error like "max positive numer reached"... calculing second moments of a figure, i'm sending you the file for further working

There were two things:
1) I don't know why, but you uses index 1 to retrieve data from the square roots into I1 and I2 definitions.
2) In SMath Studio it is known issue when Symbolic engine returns "max positive number..." error. To make it possible to workaround it Optimization was introduced. Please see here and here.

Here is a corrected worksheet: massprop_mod.sm (only I1 and I2 definitions modified: indexes removed and Numeric Optimization turned on).

Regards.
Offline ing.sosa  
#17 Posted : 29 August 2010 20:57:43(UTC)
ing.sosa

Thanks again... the index 1 in the root was introduced because i was receiving 2 square roots (positive and negative), but after changing set from real to auto, im receiving only one square root.

Thanks, ill read the post about optimization!