Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline maweilian  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2010 17:19:27(UTC)
maweilian

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
In studying the unit list posted on the wiki by TheWizEd, I noticed that "°R" was referring to the Réaumur temperature scale. I must admit that I had never heard of this scale. I had assumed that "°R" meant "degrees Rankine". This was a dangerous assumption. I think that "degrees Réaumur" should be abbreviated as "°Ré". If the Rankine scale is added to the built-in units in the future, it should be abbreviated as "°Ra".

Thanks,
Will

Edited by user 21 July 2010 19:03:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline maweilian  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2010 18:57:51(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

After further inspection, I have realized that the Rankine scale is already built into Smath.

However, as I stated above, I think that the abbreviations should be distinguished more clearly. Otherwise, for some, confusion will occur. I would suggest "Ra" for Rankine and "°Ré" for degrees Réaumur. See these pages for further reading:

Rankine Scale

Reaumur Scale

What do others think?

Edited by user 21 July 2010 19:22:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2010 20:55:51(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Will,

I am always considering that absolute scales (starting from zero at absolute zero) do not have grade character "°" like "K" and "R". Therefore, "°R" is quite acceptable for me as degrees Réaumur.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline maweilian  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2010 22:32:54(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

omorr wrote:
Hello Will,

I am always considering that absolute scales (starting from zero at absolute zero) do not have grade character "°" like "K" and "R". Therefore, "°R" is quite acceptable for me as degrees Réaumur.

Regards,
Radovan

Radovan,

I understand your point.

However, I am curious to know how many people really use the Réaumur scale? Perhaps it is commonly used in Europe. If that is the case, I can understand your perspective even better. But, over on this side of the Atlantic, since the Réaumur scale is virtually unknown, using "°R" for the Réaumur scale will lead to confusion. My suggestion is to remove any possibility of confusion on both sides of the Atlantic by using more explicit abbreviations (if you read the links above, the abbreviations I am suggesting are commonly used to avoid ambiguity).

Edited by user 21 July 2010 22:41:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2010 23:09:00(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello, Will.

As you understand for me it will take about 2-5 seconds to change names of these Units, but you must know what problems this action will raise:
  1. Users that used Rankine and Réaumur Units within SMath Studio 0.88 will be a bit shocked when their pages will not work anymore.
  2. Mathcad uses "R" for Rankine scale as well, so saving/opening .xmcd documents will also give a problem here.

I understand that situation is not so fatal - I think there are not so much people usually uses "°R" and "R" in there worksheets, so of course I can change their names. But I need to know if I must do it for sure.

Regards.
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2010 23:14:02(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Will,

I hope that other users will comment this, but I think you are right and for the best of my knowledge the degrees Réaumur are very rare used. On the other hand, I have to admit that I am used to "K" and "R" from Mathcad and Rankine as "R" from the textbooks I use.

Regards,
Radovan

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline maweilian  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2010 23:22:47(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

smath wrote:
Hello, Will.

As you understand for me it will take about 2-5 seconds to change names of these Units, but you must know what problems this action will raise:
  1. Users that used Rankine and Réaumur Units within SMath Studio 0.88 will be a bit shocked when their pages will not work anymore.
  2. Mathcad uses "R" for Rankine scale as well, so saving/opening .xmcd documents will also give a problem here.

I understand that situation is not so fatal - I think there are not so much people usually uses "°R" and "R" in there worksheets, so of course I can change their names. But I need to know if I must do it for sure.

Regards.

Andrey and Radovan,

Actually, I am fine with using "R" for Rankine (I would prefer this, of course). It is the use of "°R" for Réaumur that I think would be confusing for some people. I think "°Ré" is better.

To be honest, for myself, I doubt that I will ever use the Rankine or Réaumur temperature scales in my worksheets. But, in studying the unit list, I was fooled by the use of "°R" for the Réaumur scale, and I am sure others will make the same error in the future.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Could others please comment, especially if you use the Réaumur temperature scale now or anticipate using it in the future.

Edited by user 21 July 2010 23:34:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline TheWizEd  
#8 Posted : 22 July 2010 02:13:32(UTC)
TheWizEd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Like Will, I had never heard of Reaumur temperature scale. And being a civil engineer its not something I would typically use in any calculations I would develop.

Since Reaumur is simply a multipe of Celcius, it seems somewhat redundant. Although the same could be said of Rankine and Kelvin.

The others convertion Celcius, Farhenheit, Kelvin and Rankine are a bit more complicated. So worth the inclusion.

My 2 cents worth.
Ed
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2010 02:28:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
maweilian wrote:
I think "°Ré" is better.

Agree. Réaumur changed to "°Re" ("e" instead of "é" for easy typing and searching).

Thanks all for the participating in discussion and maweilian especially!

Regards.