Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dg1727  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2010 20:09:10(UTC)
dg1727

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello,

I asked omorr in a private message about uploading files to the wiki for inclusion in forum postings. Following are excerpts from his response, with parts of my inquiry for context. I have edited out the names of file-hosting services:

omorr wrote:
dg1727 wrote:
Thanks for pointing out in one of your recent postings that we can upload files (e.g., .sm files demonstrating a question we have) to the wiki.

What is done about deleting the files once they are no longer relevant? (As opposed to instructional materials that can be kept indefinitely.)

Althoug there are many files on the Wiki uploaded by me, I am not in any sense more privileged than any other user (except Andrey who is the administrator). Therefore, you can freely use File Management system on the Wiki (I think that *.sm files could not be uploaded - therefore we use archived files *zip instead). There is indead an option there to delete files if they are no longer relevant.

dg1727 wrote:
Is it preferable to use an off-site file-hosting service so that the file will eventually expire without requiring further work on the part of SMath staff?

No, I do not think so. I think that files on the Wiki should not expire until the users delete them and delete any links referencing to them. Actually, there is no SMath staff. There is Andrey as a principar author and few other people who help him in their spare time (I do not know who they are). I am an ordinary user like you. I just helped Andrey to find many bugs and he pronounced me into an "Advanced user" - nothing else.

dg1727 wrote:
I have switched from www.###service_A###.com, which required the recipient to wait for a countdown timer before downloading, to ###service_B###.com, which lets the recipient download immediately. (I use ad-blocking software which keeps me from seeing the ads when I receive a file that was sent via this service. Good ) Hopefully my change of hosting service will reduce people's annoyance for now.

Yes, with ###service_A### was quite anoying. You are free to use any file hosting system for the upload and file links on the SMath Forum or Wiki. However, I am not sure if it is a good idea if the files would be deleted after some time. I think it is better to use SMath Wiki, because they remain there untol the user delete them.

dg1727 wrote:
I also noticed that smath.info can serve bitmaps of formatted formulas for inclusion into forum postings. Biggrin

Yes, you are right. There is an option to include images. You can also use it freely either the images are on the file hosting service or on the Wiki, whatever. Just use "Insert image" and put the image ling inside IMG tags. There are also other tags. If you like to see how some post includet math or any other thing, just use "quote" option and you will see which tags are used.

dg1727 wrote:
I will be glad to re-post this question as a forum topic if you think it needs wider visibility.

Feel free to do that, if you like. It is entirely up to you Good .

The following subjects are now explained on the Wiki:
* Including Pictures and Other Example Files in Forum Postings (by storing the files on the Wiki)
* Copying-and-pasting an Expression from SMath Studio to the Forum (Using smath.info to serve a bitmap of a formatted formula for inclusion in a forum posting)

The Wiki page is:

Notes on Using the Forum

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2010 20:45:17(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Thank you dg1727 very much for this Wiki page Thank you
It is made very well.

I am looking forward to some more Wiki pages from you Good and from other users as well.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 18 May 2010 20:39:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Greg Locock  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2010 19:48:46(UTC)
Greg Locock

Groups: Registered

Thanks dg1277, the more people who contribute to the wiki the better it will be.