Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mitcher3  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2017 13:37:38(UTC)
Mitcher3

Groups: Registered
France

Hello,
I think it would be nice to see what finite printed documents look like (all I was able to find was interface, calculation samples). Can it be made to look like a LaTeX presentation for instance ? Also, what formats it is using, I guess .pdf ? Some others formats ?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2017 18:31:26(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mitcher3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I think it would be nice to see what finite printed documents look like (all I was able to find was interface, calculation samples). Can it be made to look like a LaTeX presentation for instance ? Also, what formats it is using, I guess .pdf ? Some others formats ?

Hello,

I guess you talking about linux... we are aware that there are issues with printers, we will try to fix it Good
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Mitcher3  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2017 18:39:56(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

Ah... i was not aware of this. But my question was not specific to Linux.
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2017 19:00:42(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Print preview is available in the main menu under File > Print preview... (A physical or a virtual printer must be available)

From the print interface there isn't a format, if you have a pdf printer will be printed as pdf, same as for xps emf etc...

Alternatively there are plugins to save the document in other formats, such as html or xelatex, these are available through the extensions manager (no preview in this case)

Edited by user 28 July 2017 02:45:41(UTC)  | Reason: edited subject (previous: printing format)

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Mitcher3  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2017 20:12:01(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

Sorry I badly explained.. I meant see a preview in the SMath presentation, in order to get an idea of what it is capable of, to see if it can present something nice and profissional and not a draft-like copy.
Offline Davide Carpi  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2017 21:14:07(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

In some of the threads of the samples section there are both the .sm worksheet and a .pdf version, also some in the handbooks section of the extensions manager (Tools > Plugins...) are made from smath (f.e. user-defined functions in SMath Studio pdf)

Edited by user 29 July 2017 01:22:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mitcher3  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2017 22:12:17(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

In the Engineering section there is a nice presentation job,"design of reiforced concrete slab", but it looks like another program was used to prepare it. In all fairness the other .pdf presentation exemples I have seen are a little bit deceptive, no match with what a LaTeX or even Mathcad can do.
Offline mkraska  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2017 00:49:21(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
In the Engineering section there is a nice presentation job,"design of reiforced concrete slab", but it looks like another program was used to prepare it. In all fairness the other .pdf presentation exemples I have seen are a little bit deceptive, no match with what a LaTeX or even Mathcad can do.

I don't think that you'll be happy with SMath if you expect publication quality. In contrast to Mathcad, where you can select formatting of symbols and units, there is no chance to get the format standard-conforming in SMath (means italic for single character symbols and upright roman for units and constants).

You can use the Writer Region (plugin) to get more formatting capabilities for comments/annotations.

In a sense, the limited formatting capabilities enforce a certain corporate design, such that you immediately recognize if a document was made with SMath. One of the benefits over documenting handcalc with text programs is the trustworthiness of that what you see is what was actually calculated and that this still is comprehensible for non-SMath experts.

To generate sketches/illustrations from within SMath, you can use the image region, set the format to SVG and use your system SVG editor to create the actual image. SVG plots can be generated using Maxima. See the german handbuch in the extension manager for examples. This handbook was made with LateX, the SMath images being automatic screenshots using the Snapshot region plugin. With an automatic translation it might be useful for non-german users.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Mitcher3  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2017 12:15:07(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

"there is no chance to get the format standard-conforming in SMath"... Is it a permanent spell ? It cannot ever be improved ?

"You can use the Writer Region (plugin) to get more formatting capabilities"... That cculd be enough to offer neat presentations that could be published for instance on the Net -and still be recognized as SMath originals as it is undoubtly possible to recognize a Mathcad job at a glance.
It is easy for me to give advises, I know, but a capacity to present nice jobs would be a boost for this otherwise great program with no equivalent in Linux and quite expensive under Windows (plus, I'am a Windows hater).

Edited by user 28 July 2017 12:17:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#10 Posted : 28 July 2017 16:57:47(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

"there is no chance to get the format standard-conforming in SMath"... Is it a permanent spell ? It cannot ever be improved ?

It is how it works now, anything can be improved. This thing in particular is the feature request SS-48, to be implemented it requires some work in several areas of the program, even because it might involve other features like the support of different writing engines.

Edited by user 28 July 2017 17:09:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 28/07/2017(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#11 Posted : 28 July 2017 18:48:37(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
I meant see a preview in the SMath presentation, in order to get an idea of what it is capable of, to see if it can present something nice and professional and not a draft-like copy.

======================================

There are no such things as "draft-like" or NOT "draft-like" from "Print Preview".
The hard print will depend upon your printer/setup. It will print 1/1 the work sheet.
About *.PDF => You must have PDF creator installed, it has nothing to do with Smath,
the conversion comes from the "virtual printer".

Some PDF creators were freeware [PDF Creator, CutePdf, PDF 995 ...}
The $ 50 Nuance [ScanSoft] was a very good one nearly like Adobe.
The hyper quality *.PDF is Adobe but you can't purchase Adobe,
you can only rent ... monthly/yearly/per use.

In lieu of *.PDF, you can capture your Smath pieces/page/blocs and
save as [*.PNG, *.BMP, *.TIFF, *Gif] ... *.GIF will surely scrap colors and other.

I only know about MathSoft/Mathcad 8 Pro. 2001i, 11. In many respects, Smath is superior
for publishing than those Mathcad were. Those versions of Mathcad plotted on ½ pica [6 pix]
thus rendering horrible traces and not adjustable all plots equally. Smath plots on the
canvas pixel, thus the finest possible traces and all plots equally adjustable on same
pixel frame size ... nice to plot the same width as the formula.

The attached are Engineering documents for publishing at the client level.
For sure, you could de-compact to fill more pages for casual visitor and thus look smarter !

If I have ever seen a Latex usable document: no recollection, I must have been hard drunk !
What is Latex => for useless papers ...

Jean

Inst_Mach Number Pitot [PUBLISH].sm (21kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
Pattern Julia Set [PUBLISH].sm (25kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Inst_Segment Partial Random [PUBLISH].sm (40kb) downloaded 28 time(s).

Offline Mitcher3  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2017 19:30:54(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

Thanks Jean, it's nice to know that SMath has the capability to save as .png or tif. JPEG or .doc or RTF would be also nice. With Linux I use Evince which can read .pdf format so I have no print problems. What you say about the plot width with Mathcad is true though however it was always possible to adjust and align them manually as to create a fairly coherent document from the calculation sheet. What they are saying here, if I understand right, is that SMath plainly prints the calculation sheet as is. And it sure looks a little bit drafty and rough, that's what I meant.
What do you mean you have never seen a LaTeX document ? It is very nice looking, unfortunately it does not do any calculations, plots etc.. it just publish texts, titles and equations.
As for your attachments unfortunately I can't not open them as long as I cannot download SMath
cheers
Offline Jean Giraud  
#13 Posted : 28 July 2017 20:16:13(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

if I understand right, is that SMath plainly prints the calculation sheet as is ... YES
And it sure looks a little bit drafty and rough, that's what I meant ... NOT at all

It prints 1/1 the work sheet ... if NOT => printer setup problem

As for your attachments unfortunately I can't not open them as long as I cannot download SMath.
.......... WHAT ! you can't download Smath ..........

The only Latex [in fact not latex] that made sense to me was done by a Mathcad user !

The attached document: no way Mathcad will beat in decades !
YES: you can line up Mathcad plots on the left but not equally adjust the right end.

Cheers, Jean

Inst_Type Pt100.sm (54kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

Offline Mitcher3  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2017 21:58:23(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

Jean, well, maybe it is possible to make publications under SMath nice, but the ones proposed as exemples that i have seen are not. Could you please re-send your attachment as a .pdg maybe ? As i said i cannot open a .sm document yet.
As for an TeX example if you open any document as on https://arxiv.org/ you will be able to see one as they are TeX scientific jobs, all of them.
As for aligning plots in Mathcad, sorry but you can definitely adjust their size by grabing the right or bottom border in order to tentatively make them more or less the same size on the print. Same for the text boxes. But I recognize it was not perfect.
Offline Mitcher3  
#15 Posted : 28 July 2017 22:17:08(UTC)
Mitcher3

France

Calcul de pi exemple.pdf (32kb) downloaded 79 time(s).

I have tried to attach a small exemple of a Mathcad job, it is not fantastic but quite acceptable in my opnion
Offline Jean Giraud  
#16 Posted : 29 July 2017 15:46:22(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Interesting exercise,but not wrt calculating π.
The greatest Mathematicians broke their teeth on π, even Legendre.
They had horrible formulations. The demonstration is unique from
the "isoperimetres" [Schwab 1813]. The very first "big IBM" got π
from continued fractions. Computing machinery store many constants
[including π] in 40 decimals ... don't know about PC's.

Some years ago, Simon Plouffe [Professor @ UQUAM: Université du Québec
à Montréal], gave this formula. Simon and Neil Sloane do maintain a
huge data base of "Combinatorics" > 100000 sets ...

Jean

Pi & Pi.PNG

Pi Mitcher.sm (18kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#17 Posted : 29 July 2017 20:36:05(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Calcul de pi exemple.pdf (32kb) downloaded 79 time(s).

I have tried to attach a small exemple of a Mathcad job, it is not fantastic but quite acceptable in my opnion

Here you have the same from SMath Studio (made with PDFCreator virtual printer)

Calcul de pi example (TextRegion).pdf (126kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
Calcul de pi example (WriterRegion).pdf (133kb) downloaded 63 time(s).

Edited by user 29 July 2017 20:49:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified