Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bruce Harvey  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2011 13:59:36(UTC)
Bruce Harvey

Groups: Registered

It said in the blurb that sMath was like Mathcad.

But as a Mathcad user, I am not so sure.

It is a nice neat tool for doing calculations, but where is the symbolic evaluation?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2011 14:51:57(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,

Actually, SMath has its own symbolic engine (see Symbolic calculations, please. However, this engine functionality is quite limited comparing to the engines included in Mathcad (Mapple, MuPAD).

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Bruce Harvey  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2011 15:41:54(UTC)
Bruce Harvey

Thanks Radovan,

I followed the link and found out about using the insert menu to add the arrow symbol. Then I found the arrow in the arithmetic toolbar.

And I tried writing x + 3 = 5 as in mathcad. OK

highlighted x and then the solve option appears in calculation menu.

It would be nice to have these commands in toolbars so that mathcad users can easily find them.

Having spent six months trying to write maths software, I want to congratulate the author on the progress so far. Very well done.
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2011 17:52:04(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello,
Bruce Harvey wrote:
I followed the link and found out about using the insert menu to add the arrow symbol. Then I found the arrow in the arithmetic toolbar.

And I tried writing x + 3 = 5 as in mathcad. OK

highlighted x and then the solve option appears in calculation menu.
Unfortunately, solve from the Calculation menu, as well as solve() function, are not symbolically but numerically defined (btw, there is no symbolic integration in SMath - only symbolic derivation). Therefore, it is not working like in Mathcad:
You can do this by highlighted x in the equation and choose Calculation|Solve
x^2+5*x-6≡0
mat(-6,1,2,1)
which is the same as
solve(x^2+5*x-6≡0,x)—mat(-6,1,2,1)
but, unfortunately, this is not possible in SMath
solve(x+5*y≡8,x)—#@#
There were some posts about Xcas plugin, but only for handheld computers, where this is possible among some other symbolical functions and functionality. For desktop computers, there is no such functionality yet. There should be someone who is willing to make a plugin and to extend SMath with some available CAS systems - there is no such thing at the moment.
Bruce Harvey wrote:
It would be nice to have these commands in toolbars so that mathcad users can easily find them.
I did'n understand this, sorry. There is a panel to the right with toolbars: Arithemetic, Matrices...
Bruce Harvey wrote:
Having spent six months trying to write maths software, I want to congratulate the author on the progress so far. Very well done.
Considering this, I hope you would not mind if I ask you about the possibility to use SMath as a frontend and write your own plugins to extend it in the way you wish (and maybe to share them with us afterwards )Good

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Bruce Harvey  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2011 18:22:57(UTC)
Bruce Harvey

I was thinking of the person who has used Mathcad at work, or at university and does not have the cash to buy it for them self. It would be useful if SMath had a similar appearance.

I did the maths programming a long time ago (when PCs still wore nappies and had 640K of ram. It was all done on an Achemedies in BBC basic and ARM assembler. I am out of touch with modern languages.