Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jman  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2009 09:53:07(UTC)
Jman

Groups: Registered

First off - very nice software. I was looking for something like mathcad for my phone. It would be great for doing homework and other problems. Here is a list of additional features I was looking for:

1) Unit conversion like mathcad - This is one of the main things (albeit simple) that I use mathcad for. Having a feature like this would make the software so much more powerful than all of the unit conversion software packages that are out there now.

2) Ability to set ranges like mathcad such as x=1,2...5. This would make it much easier to create graphs and so forth. Right now it looks like you have to do this with for loops. Setting this up automatically with a single line would help a great deal. I also agree that subscripts as mentioned in a previous post would be a big benefit.

3) Ability to save/read simple mathcad files - I don't think my phone will ever be my primary computational platform since input/output is limited compared to my main computer. However, it would be great to execute files that I wrote on my desktop with mathcad and so forth. This opens are a huge library of existing mathcad files that can then make smath that much more powerful.

Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2009 20:29:48(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Quote:
Unit conversion like mathcad

Will try this feature in Mathcad and then inform here about possibilities...
Quote:
Ability to set ranges like mathcad

No problem, this is quite simple to implement. But one question regarding this: do you know how we could specify a step between values with Mathcad? I.e. not only the limits like 1...10, but something like 1:2:10 (Matlab syntax), where 2 - is step.
Quote:
Ability to save/read simple mathcad files

Work in progress. But, you are right, this is possible only for the Simple files.

And thanks for the questions Good

Edited by user 02 February 2009 20:36:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jman  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2009 09:15:10(UTC)
Jman

Once again, great job putting together this software for free. Here are a couple of thoughts in regards to your response.

Quote:
Unit Conversion

MathCAD handles units quite nicely. You can input a value in any unit that you want and the program automatically converts it internally to carry through the calculation. You can similarly pick which unit you want for the output. The program has a large number of internal units built-in and you can define you own units as a function of these. You simply have to type the unit in the box just to the right of the definition or answer.

For example, I can define milliNewtons and nanoWatts in terms of a Newton and Watt:
mN:=10^-3 * N
nW:=10^-9 * W
and then define several variables using these units:
Force:=0.1 mN
Distance := 2.0 in
for the following calculation:
Energy := Force * Distance
The default output is SI, though you can pick whatever arbitrary combination you want.
Energy = 5.06 E-6 J
Energy = 84.7 nW*min

I think this sort of functionality on my cell phone would be huge. I can't tell you how often I get all kinds of data in whatever random units. A handheld program that would take care of this would clean all of it up and eliminate the need to convert and then calculate. As a bonus, you can usually figure out if your calculation is correct by observing if the units match up to what you would expect.

Of course, this seems like it could be a monster to program. However, I'd bet it would pay off handsomely if it worked as well as mathcad for this.

Quote:
MathCAD type ranges

MathCAD follows a different convention than matlab such that an x values range is defined starting with the first number (x0), followed by the second (x1) until value (xn) is reached. The step is internally calculated as the difference between x1 and x0.

x=x0,x1..xn ( MathCAD )

In comparison, matlab defines the delta explicitly instead of the actual value such that,

x=x0 : dx : xn ( Matlab )

I actually prefer the matlab style, though I would stick with the mathcad format for consistency.

Offline Habanero  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2009 13:29:56(UTC)
Habanero

Hi,
Do you think it would be possible in the futur to draw the step/dirac/ramp responses of a system?
The interface is much more convenient than Matlab to draw such graphs and it would be an easier tool for students to use.
Offline shinyplastic  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2009 18:39:10(UTC)
shinyplastic

Hi,

Great product, and to have it on PPC - just brilliant!!

I concur with regards units, that's the one thing that would make it essential for me.

Even if you bracketed them L = 1[m] T = 1[s] L/T = 1[m/s], convert(1[m/s],[km/h])=3.6[km/h]

Thanks again!
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2009 20:58:26(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Thank you all for the ideas. Units will be implemented soon.
Other features would be discussed and, maybe, implemented, too.
Offline bor  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2009 21:07:38(UTC)
bor

Is it maybe possible te get any new skin, beacause on my Samsung Omnia buttons are too small to touch with a finger. Maybe something like big button to choose between "Arithmetic"/"Plot"/"Functions"... and then the chosen one, for example "Arithmetic" can fill the whole width of the screen and the buttons (in this case numbers, +, - etc.) could then be much bigger? Otherwise really great program!
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2009 20:30:15(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

New user-interface of Handheld version will be available soon. It will contain scaleable buttons, so, I hope, described problem will be decided.
Offline Paul  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2009 11:49:11(UTC)
Paul

Firstly, thanks for creating a brilliant piece of software. I wonder, do you have any plans to implement calculation of anti-derivatives/indefinite integrals?
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2009 18:26:10(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Paul wrote:
Firstly, thanks for creating a brilliant piece of software. I wonder, do you have any plans to implement calculation of anti-derivatives/indefinite integrals?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! We works on indefinite integrals right now. This is a hard Task, so I have no ETA at this time... but no doubt, this feature will be included to the SMath Studio as soon as possible.
Offline jakobg  
#11 Posted : 08 May 2009 02:33:43(UTC)
jakobg

Man

Wow, so you really implement al the mathematical features yourself?! Are there no good mathematical librarys like numpy, sympy (this would be for python) available? Or is it just the challenge you seek Good ? (If not, you can look into the code of maxima to solve some tricky problems).
Wow!
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#12 Posted : 08 May 2009 04:51:49(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

This is not a challenge I've found. My goal is not to use copy/paste at all. SMath Studio created to help me with understanding of symbolic algorithms.

Of course, I can't do all the job quickly, but you know, users can always choose, use or not my product.