Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline reselty  
#21 Posted : 15 May 2016 18:43:50(UTC)
reselty

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Hi kilele

I was looking quite a long time for MathCad to Maxima conversion... where did you heard about it...?
Offline kilele  
#22 Posted : 15 May 2016 21:23:45(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: reselty Go to Quoted Post
Hi kilele

I was looking quite a long time for MathCad to Maxima conversion... where did you heard about it...?

As Jean mentioned Maxima I was wondering aloud if there could be a way to parse mathcad2000 files to be understood within smath via its maxima or maple plugins. Mathparser: http://www.tilman.de/pro...mathparser/index_en.html seems to be able to translate old mathcad sheets into latex. Then hopefully some developer might find a way to feed these info into said plugins, I don't know if this is possible Good
Offline Jean Giraud  
#23 Posted : 16 May 2016 01:22:33(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Franco, Kilele, Reselty,

The Mathsoft/Mathcad 8 and erlier repository was maintained by Mathsoft and phased out since Mathcad 11 as it was not possible to maintain . For quite a while after Mathcad 11, "Adept Scientific" from UK had a substantial repository, but gone again. Some Edu still maintain a bit of their original stuff. Once in a while you will find a Mathcad PDF from the web.

From what I have noticed, PTC Mathcad work sheet repository is worth "NIL".
They might have improved but I doubt:: PTC wants your money for help.

By luck like in lottery, if you search by exact original thread, you will find Mathcad work sheets from the PTC "MicMac barn". Some of mines and from more collabs are still there. But basically PTC "Jive" does not have a search engine or very poor. My understanding was that PTC wanted some of the Mathsoft coding for their "ProEngineer" kind of CAD, but rejected their acquisition to be Edu/Engineering oriented . Rather and differently than Mathsoft, PTC wanted their acquisition to rain $$$$$.

About your last point: if you don't have a Mathcad version that can read what you could download,
then you are "zap my friend"... Mathcad 15 does not read Mathcad 11

==================================

"Can't your Mathcad 2000 be converted to Maxima ?"
My answer is NO
"As for having content of one .mcd into one single pdf or html"
If you want to tranmit *.mcd work sheet via html, fine.
If you want to select a region to put in Smath work sheet, your suggestion is not the best.
Copy that page , paste in Paint, select the portion, paste in IrfanView, reduce as you want.
What's the point creating *.PNG ?
Do a lot easier: select that portion of your Mathcad sheet, paste in IrfanView for reducing 256 colors.
==================================
I don't need to collect my Mathcad work sheets, WIN XP did that, they are all in a single folder.
They are wisely organised so that I can retrieve anything from 15 years [+700 MB] in seconds.

More or less this thread is about Mathcad 15 <=> Smath compatibility.
Simple to test: download the image fom Davide in "Is Minimize Pregant"
It is a 1/1 Mathcad/Smath. Make it Mathcad 15, try to read back in Smath.
Smath 97 should be able to read.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#24 Posted : 16 May 2016 02:24:51(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

This link will take you to the PTC Mathcad User Community.

https://www.ptcusercommu...ty/mathcad/mathcad-usage

Visit the thread: Apr, 29, 2016 2:34 PM

or go direct to it:

https://www.ptcusercommu...om/message/449641#449641

... see this work sheet is > 10 years old from Paul W.
If Richard didn't link to the work sheet: no answer to the visitor.

Remarks:
1. No reply from PTC in two weeks
2. Only one post in last two weeks
3. The day I left PTC Community, I was read > 2000 times in one day

PTC killed themselves, taking no remarks, no suggestions ... imposing their American way [ F... it]

I have this work from Paul W. "envelope.mcd",I have it augmented but not converted to Smath.
Easy to make in images for those interested to make it Smath.

Cheers, Jean

Offline reselty  
#25 Posted : 17 May 2016 12:16:55(UTC)
reselty

Switzerland

Hello Mr. Carpi

I tried this morning all your cmd "mathcad.exe /help" versions but all of them just start mathCAD.

I also googled a long time for information about something like this
cmd flags mathcad, execute from C#, C++, command line, programming, batch script... not really helpfull for my knowledge.

Perhaps this: On different sites written about: developer’s reference mathcad (shows directly the same as in help of MathCAD in Browser)
and Automation Interface (OLE), but can't help myself with it.

Best regards
Reselty

Edited by moderator 17 May 2016 13:46:46(UTC)  | Reason: fixed link

Offline Davide Carpi  
#26 Posted : 17 May 2016 13:55:02(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
For what I can see seems that referencing the Mathcad automation library you can write your own executable giving the logic you want and save the file(s) in one of the supported formats (mcHTML to save as HTML document).
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#27 Posted : 17 May 2016 15:57:39(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Reselty,

The problem with your demand is that it is not clear what you want to do between the two Mathcad/Smath.
You can distribute Mathcad work sheets to Mathcad users, can make PDF and publish, can select only the
part of the project make image and publish/distribute. But you CAN NOT reverse-Engineer any portion of
Mathcad [License Agreement]. So, nobody at Smath will risk that avenue, and on the other hand it would
mean re-designing Mathcad in Smath style ... just 3 examples [numerical integrators: infinite limit,
singular end point, adaptive, Romberg ... Brent/Ridder scalar derivative operator ... ODE solvers].

You can just do like I do since 10 months: construct Smath work sheets from some of your projects as they
are personal property. On that, since Mathcad 8, 2000, 2001i, 11 [that I know] Mathcad is doing ½ the
job, HOW ? Mathcad has the Microsoft "Clipboard operation".
_ OriginLab does not have the clipboard operation.
_ Mathematica does not have the clipboard operation.
_ Maple does not have the clipboard operation.

What does that mean "Mathcad has the clipboard operation " ?????
It means you can select as long as you want from a Mathcad work sheet and paste in IrfanView and copy
from IrfanView paste in Smath. From there, recreate in Smath style. That's what I do to make my Smath
become my new Engineering tool... free world wide [don't forget donation], from Smath volunteers.

Oh ! you could make *.PDF from Mathcad, just another way to boil eggs.

Don't forget that Mathcad is essentially based on subcontracts for which they pay Royalties:
2D plots, 3D plots, symbolic ... here again: no way to reverse-Engineer code.

Just by itself, Mathcad is a damned dead tool. What make it a great tool is what users have developped.
If you visit Smath "Samples" you will surely find 100's of Smath working projects and tool box. Most of
them are from Mathcad reconstructed Smath style. Example: the Orifice Plate calculations, you will find
nowhere else than in Mathcad 11, Smath. You can pay lot of money for zombie calculators that won't pass
any QA for tracability. Smath 5346 is short of 3D Fourier but it works.

Another important point is about the Symbolic: Your Mathcad 2000 was Maple of the time. Since Smath
started it it based on more recent version of Maple. It made me shit bricks for my InverseLaplace in
modeling controls but finally works as well. There are nuances between old Maple/more recent Maple.
In some ways the old Maple was a bit more conversational to my working habits, but the Smath/Maple is
in other ways more powerful wrt inversing functions ... Example:

Few years ago, I finally found the Platinum Resistance Thermometer formulation [130 years after
Le Châtelier and so many who attempted, including BIMP], workig well in Mathcad 11 but scratching
the left ear with the right hand, scratching rihgt ear with left hand both at same time.
Smath/Maple returned me such an elegant solution for inversing this formula that I dropped dead
for few minutes !

To be frank, Smath is lot more educative than Mathcad as you get what you construct. Smath is more
selfmade man, after all: that's what Scientist/Engineers are.

I started my Engineering life: Paper/pencils/ereaser... then velum paper/better pencils/electric ereaser
and only table of logarithms. What's the problem taking a white page of Smath and go, produce.

Cheers, Jean.

thanks 1 user thanked Jean Giraud for this useful post.
on 17/05/2016(UTC)
Offline reselty  
#28 Posted : 17 May 2016 23:02:54(UTC)
reselty

Switzerland

Jean,
Really incredible your knowledge about MathCAD's live!
Offline kilele  
#29 Posted : 18 May 2016 03:07:58(UTC)
kilele

@reselty
if you follow the "sending keystrokes" dirty approach, something like this may serve as inspiration: https://dl.dropboxuserco.../forums/xmcd2mcd.fbs.txt
Offline Jean Giraud  
#30 Posted : 18 May 2016 04:10:58(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Jean,
Really incredible your knowledge about MathCAD's live!

I'm not so smart in maths. Got first Mathcad 8 then beta tested Mathcad 2001i
and got CD for free from Mathsoft via mail parcel. Then shared design of
"Data Analysis Extension pack" Mathcad 11 got CD for free via mail parcel.
I had so much on calculators, Excel... that many Mathcad gurus competed,
rendering Mathcad 11 so productive. Unsane PTC deactivated Mathcad 11 "Single
User Edition", me as well on my main PC. I have two more PC with Mathcad 11.
One does not have the extesion packs but still working as native. And one that
was back2back XP Home to XP Pro, working fine but remote, just that XP Pro was
just a piece of crap from Microsoft.

Cheers, Jean.

Offline reselty  
#31 Posted : 18 May 2016 10:43:39(UTC)
reselty

Switzerland

@ Kilele
Ufff.... Looks like lots of work - Wau, thank you!
If changes are necessary, you would do it with FBSL (is there a specific better readable File for FBSL) or in texteditor?
Offline kilele  
#32 Posted : 18 May 2016 11:49:49(UTC)
kilele

@ Kilele
Ufff.... Looks like lots of work - Wau, thank you!
If changes are necessary, you would do it with FBSL (is there a specific better readable File for FBSL) or in texteditor?

I just adapted one of the many samples which come with fbsl. If you install fbsl you can edit .fbs files with its own editor just by doing right-click over them. The editor has a link to a nice help file.
Offline kilele  
#33 Posted : 18 May 2016 16:27:28(UTC)
kilele

More options for you to investigate:

Firefox comes with an option to take screenshots.
Open the web page you'd want to screenshot.
Press Shift+F2. Send the following string: screenshot anyimagename.png --fullpage
The png will be saved at the “Downloads” folder.

PDFCreator can print via the command line.
Example: pdfcreator.exe /PrintFile="C:\test1.mcd"

Edited by user 18 May 2016 21:14:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline reselty  
#34 Posted : 18 May 2016 16:50:25(UTC)
reselty

Switzerland

Thank you Kilele

I was also looking for a long time for a tool to print pics of websites bigger than the screen to
archive reports of Autodesk ForceEffect , which is beside an incredible tool!
Chrome Extension: Open Screenshot .
But I let it run in an separat portable chrome browser cause of bad user reviews, rating it dangerous - but it was the only one doing it...
Offline Jean Giraud  
#35 Posted : 18 May 2016 17:27:43(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

reselti, kilele,

There is a missing link in your attempt. What you see on the Mathcad screen are alpha-numeric
characters of what's running under the hood, zillions of coded characters. Those coded characters
are what makes Mathcad work with all its specific proprietary coding that legally are not autorised
to be reverse-Engineered by other parties. Mathsoft [the inventor of Mathcad] did not invent the wheel,
just taking raw from public free sources and from subcontracts ... made a nice soup of it, paying
royalities as applicable per contract. I bet my last dime Andrey & his team work have cracked
Mathcad from A...Z. At the time of Mathcad 11 started, you could find cracked versions from several
Russian sites. On that, Valery warned that the best crack could not be cracked completely because
Mathcad came with some coding wraped within long specific protection that are almost not decipherable,
lot more complicated than Enigma. So, how much of a Mathcad cracked version is working well or
apparently well but wrong result. Just think that any computing device run approximations, how easy
it is to just switch 2 coefficients of BesseJ by an internal protection code.

I know what I'm talking about from experience. The Mathematica 4.0 I purchased was in fact a cracked
version. Having some trouble, posted the license number and everything at this time of their forum
[hardly started like Mathsoft Collaboratory], then Mike Trott replied me personally "Jean, this is
not an original version, but here is the answer to your question". I left their forum, Mathematica
was not my tool for Engineering. I still use it once in a while, cross checking symbolic vs Maple.

Richard would say: a dead horse is dead for a long time ! Can't be more right.

Just take an example: last night, I posted to Alex a work sheet that contains "Lorentz Peak Fit"
Alex is checking how it works in 5935. This module is not proprietary from any source. Mathcad call
it "Minerr" [Minerr is not proprietary either]. But Mathcad has 3 options of it: QuasiNewton,
ConjugateGradient, Leveberg-Marquardt. At this point of the Smath working well with the single
option "ConjugateGradient" it would be a peanut job for Smath team to add the two more options.
That would become a stand alone new function in Smath, perfectly legal. Adding the two more options
would make the function more robust for many models functions that are so hard to fit and you must
try many models for the best one to fit, especially fitting statistical Gaussians.
Data set don't speak. Often you just get a good insight of it, but the maths must confirm.

Today, the garden speaks to me: sunshine from "wall to wall".

Cheers, Jean

Offline kilele  
#36 Posted : 18 May 2016 18:27:05(UTC)
kilele

Jean, I'd rather not to comment on your bold horse betting Good I wasn't suggesting to reverse mathcad but to reinterpret its screen representation with other symbolic engines. The goal would not consist of converting .xmcd to .sm but changing the representation if necessary to take advantage of the work invested on those sheets no matter if the result is far of the original form.
Offline reselty  
#37 Posted : 19 May 2016 17:33:14(UTC)
reselty

Switzerland

Hi Kilele
I tried to understand your fbsl “a little…”
Is it right, that it just acts on mcds in one folder and doesn’t run through a folder structure and picks out the mcs?
I changed the paths in
- Dim $mathcad15Path = curdir() & …..
and
- Dim $mcdsPath = curdir() &……

and saved it as “*.bat”

Should it run without any other requirements (installations)
When I start it, it opens cmd and stops with following:
CMD-Message
I run it on Win64.

Offline kilele  
#38 Posted : 19 May 2016 18:05:08(UTC)
kilele

Reselty, you can run .fbs scripts after installing fbsl at fbsl.net
You have to adapt the script to suit your needs: paths and keystrokes.
I don't have mathcad so it would not work as it is. Can you specify which operations you want to accomplish, keystroyes on mathacad, commandline commands like the ones suggested by Davide, etc. Also you could edit my script, post it and I'll try to change it according to your indications.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#39 Posted : 19 May 2016 20:24:13(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
Jean, I'd rather not to comment on your bold horse betting I wasn't suggesting to reverse mathcad but to reinterpret its screen representation with other symbolic engines. The goal would not consist of converting .xmcd to .sm but changing the representation if necessary to take advantage of the work invested on those sheets no matter if the result is far of the original form.

Oh ! I understand what you are after.
You have an alpha-numeric + Equation editor on the screen, from sources, in your case
from Mathcad 15 and you want to convert that display in some other form of display.
Per say the most used Latex [in papers]. Can't you convert Mathcad 15 in Latex ?

Just to give an example: my Russian advanced math book [in English] is nearly 1/1
Mathcad compatible, as well as in Smath style. So, that great stuff for Edu., Engineers,
Scientists ... you want it in format unfmamiliar to the world.

To me: maths are maths for the world, I hope nothing has been invented to destroy maths.
Take a screen shot of a typical Mathcad 15 piece of Engineering project, and explain
how you want to represent sin(x)^2... and more

Forum Sin Zombie.gif

Offline kilele  
#40 Posted : 19 May 2016 21:33:54(UTC)
kilele

Smath the Destroyer, I like it!
Jean, I'm afraid this is advanced stuff for developers far beyond my humble grasp.
The idea imho would be transforming mathcad expressions to LaTeX code to Maxima code. Something like Snuggletex might help: http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/snuggletex
Makes sense?