Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kilele  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2016 16:02:16(UTC)
kilele

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I love cheatsheets with small samples like this one:
Csharp Cheatsheet
What about the idea of huge Smath quick references. Imagine a huge smath sheet with illustrative samples, gif animations like Mr. Carpi's ones, even entire samples from Mr. Giraud. There would be a table of contents or cloud of tags and anchor links on every section so you'd be able to zoom on the toc and navigate the document easily.
I'm thinking in a way to convert such huge 'Live Smath' to a 'Google Slide' in the form of magazine template.

Edited by user 29 April 2016 16:06:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline ElSid  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2016 16:29:05(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have a "notes" sheet similar to what you are looking at. Only problem with your suggestion of a live sheet is my notes will be different than Jeans, yours, Uni's, etc. I do think that the WiKi needs to be updated with "better" examples. There is a cheat sheet for commands (PDF) somewhere on the Wiki too.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2016 17:18:48(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Kilele, Elsid,

You are asking for what I was asking before: a "Repository" of Smath projects done, Something like Mathsoft/Mathcad 8. They could not maintain it and was abandonned. Further, it needs a person dedicated to that specifically to restandardise individual work project. Radovan suggested that good projects be put in "Samples", already a very large data mining place for "Smath Power Users" as well as beginners.

Large size work sheets: NO ,,, not large size 100 pages [> 5MB] like I did in Mathcad.
Smath is very slow to compute and the worst case I encountered was "Matrix Treasury".
Not so long but was taking minute(ssss) to calculate, minute(sss) to save : Why?
Because it had a gross error code that it finally digested but after eternity, but life is so short.

We have the 3D surface animation already. Animation does not produce projects.
Maple, PTCMathcad, Mathematica, Matlab, OriginLab ... they do like us: exchange in the forum
and their forum are piece of crap compared to Smath forum.

Cheers, Jean.
Offline kilele  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2016 17:39:49(UTC)
kilele

Elsid,
I'm really curious about your pdf or if you could upload some .sm to smath live.
I suggested Martin to embed smath sheets into his pdf guide in german, I think he got to release such pdf in previous versions of the document.
Another option could be one of those zoomable prezi maps with hyperlinks to Live Smath sheets. Maybe Andrey could implent something like this for navigation, see this sample: https://prezi.com/m/nfla...mification-shawn-graham/

Jean,
What about not calculating the entire sheet at once but section by section as the user navigate the document? Just a thought.
I meant the little screencasts made by Davide, I think these cool animations encourage the use of Smath, they are clear, narrative and compact.

Edited by user 29 April 2016 17:56:06(UTC)  | Reason: Added prezi slide

Offline Jean Giraud  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2016 18:03:03(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
Jean,
What about not calculating the entire sheet at once but section by section as the user navigate the document? Just a thought

==============================================

... calculate as you scroll the page down, like Mathcad 8/11: yes nice feature.
Some type of calculation take time anyway and will have minute effect on
"work sheet by project". It will only help a bit on "work sheets collection".

Jean

Offline kilele  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2016 18:23:21(UTC)
kilele

Or just an option to make recalculating of sections independent of each other, for the sake of creating tutorials.
Each section icon could be used to link to the toc at the beginning. The toc would be generated automatically, one per section.

Edited by user 29 April 2016 18:26:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2016 19:51:03(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
Actually, the interactive handbook was meant to provide a platform for function and concept reference amd examples.

I found the pdf manual too cumbersome to keep up to date and still have no idea how to efficiently handle two language versions in LyX (which is my favourite document processor).

The interactive handbook consists of 500 interlinked pages which are life smath documents and it can be configured to be launched by the help [?] button in the tool bar. In my portable distribution this is pre-configured in this way.

However, some of the pages don't work anymore with the current smath version, among them the attached file. I don't think that the maxima plugin is to be blamed for that but I didn't really test this. Smath crashes the hard way without error message. Help.sm (44kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

In theory, everybody is free to add own pages to the handbook, one just needs access to the svn repository and to the plugin management site of SMath. However, none of the plugin writers or hard core example providers felt encouraged to integrate their work with the interactive handbook. Obviously, the mechanism for doing so is too cumbersome or the expected benefit for the user is too limited.

However, the handbook in fact has been supported by the community. Andrey has provided an official way to add such interactive handbooks via extension manager and Davide has provided the text region utilities which tremendously simplified creating and editing hyperlinks to other documents. And of course, much of the contents emerged out of forum discussions.

For me, the handbook is a valuable source for looking up things which I documented (or sometimes both Good years ago. I am well aware of that much of the material is outdated, just think of the impact of the new vec() function.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 2 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 29/04/2016(UTC),  on 30/04/2016(UTC)
Offline ElSid  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2016 21:30:00(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The other problem you run into is style. Take a look at my question for a pump curve fit. CBG posted something that worked, then Jean showed a different way ...
Anyways, go search Colebrook, and even in this "relatively" young forum, there are at least 5 different examples.

I would like to have more people have access to the Wiki for editing. I honestly think that would be better than the samples. Think about "New Vectorize" function where samples can be added as well as Jean's piece wise function. This Wiki would then become the defacto interactive "help" pages, with samples and organized.

Most of my "Notes" are for quick "how-to" of items I am either not very savvy at or for offline access. An example of what is in my "Notes.sm" file would be the MRound function that Davide provided that is now in my "Notes" sheet as well as template.
Offline mikekaganski  
#9 Posted : 30 April 2016 02:06:54(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
However, some of the pages don't work anymore with the current smath version, among them the attached file. I don't think that the maxima plugin is to be blamed for that but I didn't really test this. Smath crashes the hard way without error message. Help.sm (44kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

No crash for me; this page doesn't require maxima, and I don't have one.
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
Offline Davide Carpi  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2016 03:20:05(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikekaganski Go to Quoted Post
No crash for me; this page doesn't require maxima, and I don't have one.

Crash for me... Looking at the debugger seems is something in TableRegion vs system decimal separator (comma causes cash, period works fine). I'll handle it Blush

Edited by user 30 April 2016 03:28:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline mikekaganski  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2016 03:37:36(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
Crash for me... Looking at the debugger seems is something in TableRegion vs system decimal separator (comma causes cash, period works fine). I'll handle it Blush

Interesting... Good I have comma.
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 1 user thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 30/04/2016(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2016 03:47:40(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mikekaganski Go to Quoted Post
Interesting... Good I have comma.

Really interesting... I made it working changing the localization in the system settings; usually this means there is something about decimal separator, maybe is the thousand separator or something else; barely important though, I have to change the whole TableRegion engine with the less buggy used in RadioButtonList/CheckBoxList regions....

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects