Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Deni  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2010 01:17:18(UTC)
Deni

Groups: Registered

Here is the expression that I've been trying to simplify

"a" and "b" are not suposed to be defined.
Every time I put that expression in and put equals on the end, it says "a is not defined" wherein there is way to simplify this expression with no "a" or "b" given (not on computer), but i don't know how to do it in SMath Studio.

Also if there is a way, could it show a step-by-step simplifying of the expression.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Deni

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2010 10:23:59(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Deni,
Deni wrote:
Here is the expression that I've been trying to simplify

"a" and "b" are not suposed to be defined.
Every time I put that expression in and put equals on the end, it says "a is not defined" wherein there is way to simplify this expression with no "a" or "b" given (not on computer), but i don't know how to do it in SMath Studio

When you use the numerical equal to "=" everything in the given expression must be defined (have their numerical values). Therefore, you can not calculate the value of the above expression if the variables "a" and "b" do not have their values.

Regarding the simplification of the given expression - you can do two things at the moment.
1. Select a part of an expression and choose Calculation=>Simplify. Below that expression you will have the simplified part of the expression (in the way SMath symbolic engine is doing this). For instance if you select the Denominator and choose Calculation=>Simplify you will get this:
{sqrt(a-Cool/{sqrt(a+Cool-sqrt(a-Cool}-{a-b}/sqrt(a^2-b^2-a+Cool}/sqrt({a^2}/{b^2}-1)
sqrt(a-Cool*sqrt(a+Cool*(1/{b^2})^{1/2}
2. If you select the entire expression or use symbolic equal to "->", you will get this:
{sqrt(a-Cool/{sqrt(a+Cool-sqrt(a-Cool}-{a-b}/sqrt(a^2-b^2-a+Cool}/sqrt({a^2}/{b^2}-1)—{sqrt(a*(-1+a)+b*(1-Cool)-(sqrt(a+Cool-sqrt(a-Cool)*sqrt(a-Cool}/{sqrt(a+Cool*sqrt(a*(-1+a)+b*(1-Cool)*(sqrt(a+Cool-sqrt(a-Cool)*(1/{b^2})^{1/2}}

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Deni  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2010 20:53:09(UTC)
Deni

Groups: Registered

That was a very useful explanation, a big Thank you Radovan, I appreciate it very much.
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2010 21:11:12(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
You are welcome Good
Enjoy using SMath.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"