Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline waluyo  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2010 12:08:54(UTC)
waluyo

Groups: Registered
Man
Indonesia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I want to insert a picture,
Insert > Picture > From files...
a dialog pop up, Files of type only "Bitmap files", I could not see any files at all.
How can I see the image files in a folder? and how can I insert image file in the SMath working windows.

Thanks, Waluyo

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline omorr  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2010 14:03:28(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Waluyo
waluyo wrote:
I want to insert a picture,
Insert > Picture > From files...
a dialog pop up, Files of type only "Bitmap files", I could not see any files at all.

In order to Insert a picture, it must be in the bitmap format (*.bmp). On the other hand, not all *.bmp pictures can be inserted. I think than 24-bit Bitmap format can be inserted only. I tried other formats but the picture has been distorted with the previous message:"A graphics file object cannot be created from an image that has an indexed pixel format".
waluyo wrote:
How can I see the image files in a folder? and how can I insert image file in the SMath working windows.

If you insert a picture from SMath than you can only see the pictures with *.bmp extension. I think the simplest way of inserting a picture at the moment is to open it in an external picture software (the format is not important, *.png, *.gif, *.wmf etc,) and to copy>paste it via clipboard. After that, you cannot resize the picture. Only the picture region will be resized and not the picture itself.
This is in Windows. I suppose similar is in Linux.

I hope I am right about all of this.

Regards,
Radovan

PS. There is also a Picture=>Create option, but I think it is not finished yet. Maybe I am wrong because I do not know what is this option for.
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2010 15:34:35(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
You're right. I see I should create an ability to use other image formats in SMath Studio. Will check what can be done...

Quote:
There is also a Picture=>Create option

Actually it was created for handheld devices with touch screen - user can draw something using stylus there. In Desktop version you can use mouse to make graphic marks as well (yep, I know how hard to use mouse for drawing Good).
Offline waluyo  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2010 15:38:30(UTC)
waluyo

Groups: Registered
Man
Indonesia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Radovan for the information.

I don't have bmp files, but jpg, png and gif.
Even they cannot be seen, now I realise, when I type the first character of the file name, all similar files of the image files are shown in the filename list, then I can select and click. I can get non bmp file in the SMath window. However, as you said.. cannot be resized..

Since SMath can read other image files (jpg, png,..), It is better if, there is another option, say "all files" not only "bitmap files". Andrey?

The Picture>Create option, this is a free drawing, I need straight lines, curves, text, or even equations.

Best Regards, Waluyo
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2010 16:07:10(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Thanks Andrey for the explanation. As you said, some corrections are needed here. You also explained about "Create" but I forgot that, sorry.

waluyo wrote:
I don't have bmp files, but jpg, png and gif.
Even they cannot be seen, now I realise, when I type the first character of the file name, all similar files of the image files are shown in the filename list, then I can select and click. I can get non bmp file in the SMath window. However, as you said.. cannot be resized..

Since SMath can read other image files (jpg, png,..), It is better if, there is another option, say "all files" not only "bitmap files". Andrey?

Very surprising! I did not know that. I also inserted png and jpg in the way you explained (some gif files give the mentioned error).

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2010 04:02:24(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Fixed.

It is possible now to insert multiple picture types:

Also added ability to drag and drop images of same types:

And appearing of error message "A Graphics object cannot be created from an image that has an indexed pixel format." prevented - it will never be shown.