Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mkraska  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2014 22:20:51(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Knovel, a provider of technical e-books with added interactive features has released an integrated math tool which is obviously based on SMath Studio. Even if there is no hint to Andrey or SMath on their web page, the tool cannot hide it's SMath Studio origin.

You find it at http://tools.knovel.com/ie

It is basically an improved version of SMath life and can be accessed after you register on the Knovel website (it is free). The screenshot shows an uploaded page from my interactive handbook, just as a proof of compatibility.

If you hesitate to register, you still can access the help resources under http://tools.knovel.com/ie/Help/Main.htm .
They have a nice beginner's manual and a set of videos.

I have some problems operating the program, single quote and left paren are not working, also the response is a bit delayed. The function palette bugs with int() and diff() inserting the useless one-argument versions are final proof that the same engine is at work as in SMath Studio ;-)

I am happy to see that Andrey is commercially successful with his tool. The SMath community definitly shall benefit from these activities, be it just the advances in documentation, perhaps more.

Edited by user 16 March 2014 22:23:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mkraska attached the following image(s):
knovel.PNG
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 4 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 16/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline overlord  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2014 23:08:17(UTC)
overlord

Turkey

Was thanked: 507 time(s) in 338 post(s)
If they are making money somehow (sure they are), how can they use Smath or its engine without permission of Andrey? Even if they are not making money it does not matter. This is freeware, not gnu-gpl. If it was gnu, then they should mention about Andrey too.

The widespread use of SMath is a good thing, but like this? With stealing it? If Andrey have not permitted them about this (this is an option too) I think they must be sued.
Offline mkraska  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2014 23:22:27(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I rather think that Andrey has sold a version of his code to them and they just do not want to advertise other products of their supplier for free. Thus no flame war against Knovel without knowing the details, please.

I know other examples where excellent tools have been purchased and integrated in other products without reference to the original source, e.g. the Plassotech FEA code, which is now the FEA engine of Autodesk Inventor. If Knovel paid a due share to Andrey, then, what do we have to complain about?

However, there were also examples, where the original product disappeared, just to mention Derive (purchased by Texas Instruments and subsequently removed from the market but now re-emerging as CAS tool for their calculators with even versions for iPad and PC.

Andrey, I guess that we need some word on the interference of the Knovel deal with the future of SMath Studio as freeware.

Edited by user 16 March 2014 23:27:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline overlord  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2014 23:48:56(UTC)
overlord

Turkey

Was thanked: 507 time(s) in 338 post(s)
I have already stated the option that Andrey could permitted (or sold) Smath engine, or part of it. But if he is not, I do not want a beatiful thing like Smath slip away from its dedicated creator (and users) to some big company.
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2014 23:57:35(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
I can not access this Interactive Equations tool (although I registered).

It is a bit confused that in the Help PDF's Mathcad is mentioned (I always thought that Mathcad is a primary Knovel tool for interactive engineering calculations). Are they going to switch to SMath Wink . Moreover, *.sm is mentioned as a Knovel proprietary format.

I suppose as Martin said that we are all going to have benefit from this Knovel <-> SMath project. I hope that SMath will develop faster, and also hope that SMath will remain freeware.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 17 March 2014 00:03:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2014 00:59:20(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post

To access the Knovel worksheet try this:

log in --> go Menu --> Tools --> Interactive equations --> ex: Chemistry - Bernoulli eq --> open --> worksheet ...new...

Nope, it does not work. See the video
Maybe something is blocking me, but can not figure out what.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2014 01:09:13(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post

That is a good opportunity to test the Knovel support. The FAQ mentions the email g.lupulescu@elsevier.com for feedback.
Martin Kraska

Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2014 01:23:48(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post

That is a good opportunity to test the Knovel support. The FAQ mentions the email g.lupulescu@elsevier.com for feedback.

I already did. It seems that my antivirus software (avast) reported false alarm when connecting to Knovel.

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT: It seems that avast caused problem. I downloaded few "Knowel Worksheet (.sm)" files and as expected, they can be opened in SMath

Edited by user 17 March 2014 01:49:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline gabilupu  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2014 22:25:39(UTC)
gabilupu

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please let me introduce myself. I am a product manager with Knovel, working on digital tools. We recently launched Knovel Interactive Equations, a web-based product that offers content in the form of equations metadata and equations worksheets. We will continue to improve this product by adding more content (equations) and new functionality to Equation Solver. Thank you for your comment about our documentation. If you have questions, suggestions, any feedback on this new tool, please send me an email at g.lupulescu@elsevier.com or post to this forum.
Equation Solver requires registration with Knovel which is free. if you have any problems with registration please let me know. Looking forward to your feedback.
Gabriela Lupulescu
thanks 2 users thanked gabilupu for this useful post.
on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 18/03/2014(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2014 22:41:39(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Thank you, Gabriela!

SMath Studio core is built-in into Knovel Interactive Equations to provide ability to make calculations of all kinds in the browser window with no need to instal any third-party products.
It is a pleasure for me to work together with Knovel on such an interesting project. For me it is also a great opportunity to make math more accessible for people.

Just want to mention, it is important, SMath Studio remain to be absolutely free software, independent form any company, so nothing changed for SMath community.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.

Edited by user 17 March 2014 22:47:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 17/03/2014(UTC),  on 18/03/2014(UTC),  on 18/03/2014(UTC),  on 18/03/2014(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#11 Posted : 23 March 2014 14:46:05(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I have the impression that SMath must really change the way it is working, regarding the collaboration with Knovel.

I was browsing a bit through the basically SMath worksheets here, and it is quite clear that at the moment some simple calculations are quite enough to use SMath (variables, expressions, results). Actually, the Mathcad export will not work most of the time because of the different logic of Smath and Mathcad. On the other hand, if the people of Knowell would have used a bit more complicated calculations which includes some standard numerical procedures - there might be a problem. As I mentioned many times, my impression is that the SMath's symbolic orientation could be quite problematic when we need some engineering calculations - almost all numerically oriented.

Regards,
Radovan
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 23/03/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#12 Posted : 23 March 2014 15:25:33(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I have the impression that SMath must really change the way it is working, regarding the collaboration with Knovel.

I was browsing a bit through the basically SMath worksheets here, and it is quite clear that at the moment some simple calculations are quite enough to use SMath (variables, expressions, results). Actually, the Mathcad export will not work most of the time because of the different logic of Smath and Mathcad. On the other hand, if the people of Knowell would have used a bit more complicated calculations which includes some standard numerical procedures - there might be a problem. As I mentioned many times, my impression is that the SMath's symbolic orientation could be quite problematic when we need some engineering calculations - almost all numerically oriented.

Regards,
Radovan

Their sheets are really trivial, I agree. I also would support the request for more reliable numeric functions. My observation is that for the students, it is easier to use FindRoot() than Solve(), because the latter may spit out mathematically correct but useless complex and negative solutions, whereas in most of the cases it is easy to get reasonable guesses for the initial values as required in FindRoot().

Derive, for example, demonstrated, that a very lean code could equally serve symbolic and numeric needs. Thus I guess that there is hope to get both. But not unless Andrey finds ways to extend the ressources of his current one man show.
Martin Kraska

thanks 2 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 23/03/2014(UTC),  on 23/03/2014(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2014 18:37:15(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Radovan,

Thank you for your opinion!

Just want to mention that there is no technical challenges about numerical algorithms. The one just need to sit and implement them. Maybe it will be me, maybe not. But everything is prepared for this work: plug-ins allows to implement functions of any complexity. And no need to spend any significant time to understand how to integrate such functions into SMath Studio, the only thing we need is a logic of those algorithms. As I know, no one even try to do this work for SMath Studio... so, there is nothing strange here.

Currently I'm working on infrastructure for the whole project. On code refactoring and on everything that could make requirement of my participation as of little significance as possible. My goal is to have a small solid core which will be on me and a number of different built-in and third-party plug-ins/extensions.

Edited by user 23 March 2014 18:39:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 23/03/2014(UTC),  on 23/03/2014(UTC),  on 24/03/2014(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#14 Posted : 23 March 2014 19:54:28(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Thank you Andrey for the reply Good

I hope that we understood each other. I just wanted to mention once more that I feel we are in a loop for years. Let me try to put that as simple as possible.

1. It happened that when a calculation in SMath took an unreasonable long time or simply do not work, than the SMath symbolic core is blamed.
2. One of the first advice then is to use eval() or numeric optimization. This will sometimes greatly reduce the time of calculation.
3. Sometimes eval() or numerical optimization simply do not work, because of the way SMath is working - and then we are stuck here. We are forced to use eval() but we can not solve our problem if we do not use symbolical engine. Go back to 1.

There are many post from me and many other users regarding this. Many times I was told that this is because SMath is not float point numbers oriented but symbolically oriented with its own symbolic engine. At least I was understood that way. I can not comment to much on this because I am not a programmer nor an expert in all these things. Moreover, I just have the impression that if SMath engine do not change, in order to work in strictly numerical fashion, the same problems will repeat over and over.

Regarding numerical algorithms, I think there is not the point about their availability. You said that everything is prepared for their implementation. I still have the impression that there is still something missing. I do not know what is this in particular, and I think that the plugin makers oriented to numerical algorithms (uni, Davide, Martin) can say much more about this. By the way, if I understood all the things well, uni used many available libraries and made quite a lot of numerical functions. Davide made few very valuable plugins by using his own code based on the available algorithms. SMath evolved in this way significantly in the past few years. However, if we are in the SMath environment using these functions we are again in the symbolic-eval()-numerical- triangle. It happened to me few times that I just had to give up. You can browse my posts here on the Forum and you will find where I struggled quite a lot.

I might be wrong about all of this. Actually, I would like to be wrong.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 23 March 2014 19:57:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 23/03/2014(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#15 Posted : 23 March 2014 20:39:40(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Radovan.

Thank you!

Quote:
I still have the impression that there is still something missing.

This is a good question. I know how much great work made by all who made plug-ins. I think I should talk to them to ask if there is something missing in the approach for calculation I've developed for SMath Studio.
If you're right, there is everything in my hands to change the situation.

thanks 2 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 23/03/2014(UTC),  on 24/03/2014(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#16 Posted : 24 March 2014 01:34:51(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: smath Go to Quoted Post

Quote:
I still have the impression that there is still something missing.

This is a good question. I know how much great work made by all who made plug-ins. I think I should talk to them to ask if there is something missing in the approach for calculation I've developed for SMath Studio.
If you're right, there is everything in my hands to change the situation.

Andrey, I agree, it is in your hands.

I am not really worried about plugging in whatever nice stuff might be around there, uni has demonstrated quite a lot of that. Perhaps we should focus on license-wise clean solutions for essential components of the system, such as numerics and plotting.

What really is missing is sort of white paper on how the optimization, the evaluation, the line operator, function definitions, name spaces are meant to work. From the pure user perspective we might make observations and try to do some analysis. But how can we tell bugs from features? I don't know if you just try to avoid to much detail in order to not give away the real assets of your concept or if it is just lack of time that we do not have such a document.

When I today reviewed my old forum posts I had to face that for some of them (e.g. http://smath.info/bts/Is...s/IssueDetail.aspx?id=56) I felt as stupid as two years ago. I see that this is a plain bug but in the same example there is the miracle of a for loop from 1 to 4, ending up with no change to the loop counter. How am I expected to understand from observation under which circumstances this happens? I have written 340 pages of handbook but I know nothing about the essentials. Isn't that a waste of time?

I am not a professional programmer or mathematician and there are a lot of formal concepts out there which I might never have heard of but which might be essential for understanding how SMath works. Only after having understood these and finding them consistent with the observations, only then we can think of how to get the best out of it and what rules the users should stick to.

However, in the end, it is your project, you are the pace maker and it is in your hands to change things. Everybody is free to engage based on his trust in you and the project.

The alternative would be to pick another project, perhaps open source like sympy and wrap it in a Mathcad style interface, my handbook lists some of such attempts. Again, engagement would be based on trust in the right choice and in the guys behind the project.

Edited by user 24 March 2014 01:38:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 24/03/2014(UTC)
Offline zorrykid  
#17 Posted : 24 March 2014 12:23:54(UTC)
zorrykid

Italy

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I agree completely with Martin and Omorr .
SMath is wonderful piece of SW but quite often I arrive to a point that the natural way of proceeding lead to frustration and not to the correct results ... so I need to start again developing a workaround because I MUST solve a problem and go ahead to complete a procedure/calculations.
So quite often the time involved to develop something is 3-5 times what is needed naturally ( ok in the SW development the word natural is not too much correct but I hope I have given the idea of what I mean ).

Regards

Franco
Offline tomtit  
#18 Posted : 24 March 2014 21:58:50(UTC)
tomtit

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm not a programmer at all, but electric engineer (hardware developer).
I have been keeping an eye on Smath for about 2 years.
The major advantage of Smath over other mathematical software is an easiness of using symbolic and numeric calculations in the same worksheet.
And the performance of symbolic calculations is of the same order as in Maple or Mathematica.
For example, I got analytical expressions for coefficients of my 8-order sigma-delta modulator faster than using Mathematica !
Each coefficient is a formula of about 1-2 page long.

What is really frustrating:
1) Every time I make a small change, I must to recalculate entire worksheet, wasting a lots of time ! Please implement "selective" recalculation.
2) There is no visible distinction between symbolic and numeric operators. I would suggest something like a small square in the corner, used for flagging enable/disable option.
3) So long I can't understand how the performance depends on usage of eval() function. Sometimes it helps a lot, but sometimes it makes no difference at all.
Why the result of pure NUMERICAL matrix functions like mwabs() is not equal to eval(mwabs()) in terms of worksheet performance ?

Anyway, Smath is a great software !!
My best wishes to Andrey.

Edited by user 24 March 2014 22:03:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#19 Posted : 24 March 2014 23:50:32(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Ok... I see there are many questions and concerns listed in this topic. Not sure I'm able to give a feedback on every single statement just because raised questions are pretty complex.
So, please sorry if I missed something.

SMath Studio is a free software. This project has no sponsors except those people from community who making donations. I have only 24 hours in a day.
I think everyone understands that I have a full day work, additional projects and many other duties... The same situation as everyone else has. I spend all my free time on SMath Studio development for just one reason - because I see your comments, opinions, requests, your thanks. It is the most important I have from this project, and this is a thing why I believe I'm not just wasting a time.

This is not a super interesting story, but it is important to understand why SMath project is not growing as fast as most of us want. What I understood, is that I should change something significant in the approach used all these years... and I will do it as soon as possible. No details for now. Please, be patient.

Almost all issues mentioned in this topic I already found in bugs tracker (Thank you for posting them there!). In the nearest future I will do my best to handle all of them.

Ioan, first of all thank you for your questions! I'm just a developer and not an expert in statistics or marketing. Initially I just wanted to create a free, easy to use, math oriented application for education and engineering. Such a simple wish Good I never thought how hard it is to create and maintain it. But with a help from you, Martin, Uni, Radovan, Ber7, Davide and many others (sorry, just can't mention all great people here) this become true!

Thank you all! I will follow your suggestions and will do everything possible to speed up development.

With best regards!
thanks 5 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 25/03/2014(UTC),  on 25/03/2014(UTC),  on 25/03/2014(UTC),  on 25/03/2014(UTC),  on 25/03/2014(UTC)