Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jeblais  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2021 21:34:51(UTC)
jeblais

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi!

I've been following this project for a few years now and I must say that Smath Studio is now my defacto software for personnal engineering calculations. A true and serious contender to the well established Mathcad 15. So I'd like to say a big "thank you" to everyone that contributed to this great piece of software so far!

Mathcad 15 EOL
Some of you that are using Mathcad 15 and earlier versions of Mathcad Prime (pre v7) may know that they won't be supported/sold by PTC anymore by the end of 2021 (unless you ask for a multi-year renewal if you are an existing user). In the company I'm working for, almost all of our calculations are made with Mathcad 15 and as a potential alternative, I immediately thought about Smath. I must say that I gave a shot to multiple versions of Prime... and I just hate it. It's slower, the workflow is very different and way slower too (can't even use the "dot" to add a subscript name to variables). Now PTC is pushing for Prime 7 since the addition of a "new" combobox feature, that can't even handle more than two combined units per variable (like g/cm^3), the user have to define it's own unit to use it in the combo box (gccm = g/cm^3) which I just find dumb and lazy no to correctly implement it at release. I successfully created an equivalent in Smath within like an hour. Which brings me to...

Smath Viewer - Bugs and malware flag
- (Free/Pro) : Language icon not showing on Viewer;
- (Pro) : Loading an .xml file does not change the default values in Viewer, but ok in print view;
- (Free/Pro) : I've read in the forum that generating a viewer can be problematic in Windows 10 so I tried to solve the previously mentionned issues by generating a Viewer with Smath running in Windows 7 compatibility mode. The viewer was now instantly flagged as malware by Cynet (was fine before changing compatibility mode). Now all previously created viewers are flagged as malware too.

Before this event, I managed to demo the viewer capabilities to my colleagues and are very impressed by it, which is pretty much the main advantage for accelerating our project delivery workflow. We do fairly complex calculations (some 65+ pages long) and the viewer allows to focus on what's important and could now be used by non technical people (ex. Project estimators).

Unfortunately (obviously) IT got warned by the malware flag and I had to uninstall Smath just to be safe Sad I love Smath and I think that the Mathcad 15 EOL can be a great opportunity for Smath to take it's righful place in 2022. It would be a shame that people/buisnesses ignore Smath because of this false positive malware thing.
thanks 1 user thanked jeblais for this useful post.
on 30/07/2021(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jason McCool  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2021 19:24:36(UTC)
Jason McCool

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, I've been surprised at the seeming loss of functionality going from Mathcad 15 to Mathcad Prime. Never seen software go seemingly backward like that. And I had to laugh at Mathcad's new combobox feature after using so many different controls in SMath for a while now. SMath is also my default calc software. The viewer files get flagged by multiple antivirus/malware companies, unfortunately. I think Norton, McAfee, and Webroot all have for me. I agree on timing: SMath has been steadily developing and really is on the verge of getting much-deserved recognition and displacing Mathcad after PTC's mismanagement.
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA