Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mkraska  
#21 Posted : 09 June 2013 19:37:07(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1119 time(s) in 717 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sija Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I cannot input the function diff(2) or diff(3) using the "Tab" key. There is the same result when I try to open the parenthesis instead of use the Tab key.

Regards,
Janusz

Is that independent of your argument delimiter setting? 4902 cannot cope with the ; setting.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline sija  
#22 Posted : 09 June 2013 19:50:26(UTC)
sija

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Martin,

Yes, exactly so. I changed in settings the argument separator from ";" on "," and all works correctly. Thank you for the explanation.

Regards,
Janusz

Edited by user 09 June 2013 19:52:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#23 Posted : 10 June 2013 01:08:55(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1119 time(s) in 717 post(s)
If stability and reliability are issues, than it is not a good idea to use the latest nightly builds. Just wait some days and see what bugs the die-hard testers find and decide yourself if you want to update. The build 4884 is a reasonable compromise between stabiltiy and performance. In this distribution you find mostly what is available.

The ; problem is a temporary bug that perhaps is a side effect of changes in the naming convention (; not allowed any more in function and variable names) The intent might have been to make the plugin programming more settings-proof, but it's not yet harvest time.

For the optimization settings there is a very simple survival rule: Hands off symbolic optimization. If you feel temptated by symbolic functions, you must expect the unexpected and be very careful. This is perhaps not going to become better soon, as it is in this state for quite some time.

As to the documentation, that seems to be an inherent weakness of free software. Unfortunately the source is not open, thus we cannot gain final certainty on how the software works. Not that open source would warrant any insight, depends on the code structure and style. As I am not going into plugin coding soon, in the meantime I just try to understand the program and let others participate in the results, that's what the handbook is for. OK, it is in german, but that is dictated by the poor english skills of my students. And there is hope for a multilingual solution.

Using software is generally not risk-free as there is no bug-free software. In this particular project, the users depend to an frightening extent on a single person, who on the other hand seems to be full of energy to make the project go on. And not the least- who cares what the users say.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#24 Posted : 10 June 2013 03:29:17(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
FYI, the other day after uninstalling this .msi setup, one of my other installations was affected:
the exe file of SMathStudio 0.95.4594 was erased! however my installation SMathStudio_0.89.3856 was left intact without problems.

Edit:

I have SMath installed in Dropbox and I've just revised what was exactlly removed: exe and dlls from the root directory, and all plugins from the default setup (not the users' ones).

Edited by user 10 June 2013 03:43:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)