Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline omorr  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2009 16:57:52(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello all,

First of all, I am really impressed! I am using Mathcad for almost 20 years and searching something like SMath for many years. I can state that there are many people who would like something like free "Mathcad clone". I discovered SMath today and can say that there is no similar (free) software like this. I congratulate to the authors of SMath and like them all the best.

I am very interested to know as soon as possible all the possibility of SMath in order to follow its development. As there is no SMath Help file (I hope I am right) I just hope that the developers would find the time and to put all the features in one file (say, a tutorial in PDF format).

Best Regards
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2009 19:57:23(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello. It's really great to see your words about SMath Studio. Thank you!
omorr wrote:
I am very interested to know as soon as possible all the possibility of SMath in order to follow its development. As there is no SMath Help file (I hope I am right) I just hope that the developers would find the time and to put all the features in one file (say, a tutorial in PDF format).

You are right, there is no any tutorial yet.
I need about two blank weeks to create it, but I have no time now (new SMath Studio release coming soon, than big job will be done to port sources to Java - in plans to create Android version). Perhaps I will start to work on Help on September, but... who knows...
Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2009 21:51:40(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Thank you for the answer. I wish you good luck.

I do not know for how many times I found the discussion about potential Mathcad replacement on the Net during all these years (quite a lot, I can tell). I suppose you also know that. Based on my experience that I "bumped" into SMath just today I am preaty convinced that lots of Mathcad users are not aware of SMath yet. I suppose that this forum will grow very fast in the near future.

Best Regards,
Radovan
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2009 22:20:49(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

I hope so, but statistics... this forum created more than year ago (first version of program was published in 2005), but many people still really don't know about SMath Studio even they needed in such app.

BTW, I know, that some Manual can help to make SMath Studio more popular, that's why I wish to make it asap.
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2009 23:35:15(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I have to disagree with you, sorry. I am very surprised with the number of posts and suggestions in such a short time. I have the impression that people are very interested in this project. I do not know why Mathcad users are not more aware of SMath but I believe it would change with time.

As far as I am concerned as a University Professor (from Serbia) I will include SMath in my teaching as soon as some features would be implemented, like:

1. System of algebraic eqns. solver (like Solve Block in Mathcad)
2. ODE solvers
3. Curve fitting capabilities
4. Units
5. Tutorial
6. Working on Windows and Linux (It is already implemented, I think. Mathcad will never work on Linux properly)

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 24 June 2009 02:25:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2009 05:28:37(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

It's like a blackmail Biggrin
Will try to implement all your requests. I'm just not sure about "solver (like Solve Block in Mathcad)", but this will be the last thing I think.
Thanks for the interest to SMath Studio.
Offline omorr  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2009 13:57:19(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

smath wrote:
It's like a blackmail Biggrin

Yes, it is Friends
smath wrote:

Will try to implement all your requests. I'm just not sure about "solver (like Solve Block in Mathcad)", but this will be the last thing I think.

It does not have to be like Solve Block, actually, just to have a function (like - solve function) which will numerically solve the set of algebraic equation. This is inevitable in any engineering calculations (including set of ODE) and I would like this to be on your priority list. Of course, it is not a blackmail :'(

On the other hand, I hope you would not mind if I suggest you to try to involve as many people as you can in this project. I have the experience that very good one-man projects does not have large user base. For instance, EuMathT is rather good an powerful Matlab like software (one-man project) and I think it deserves much more popularity but, unfortunatelly, it is not that way in spite of almost 20 years of work on this project. I do not know if one of the reasons is the fact of "one-man project" but if you manage to involve more people - this might only be beneficial. I hope you would not mind mentioning this.

I am not a programmer and I could help in making example files or testing things, for instance.

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT: I want to suggest you to incorporate into SMath some free numerical libraries but on the basis of your answers to other posts here on the forum, I have the impression that this is not your intention. Am I right?
That is ok with me, but on the other hand, I really think that SMath plus some numerical procedures I've mentioned (some other people mentioned that too) would be great. Say, nonlinear algebraic eqn. system solver, something like "Rkadapt" and "linfit" in Mathcad would be quite enough. Of course, I do not know if this is even possible.

Edited by user 25 June 2009 18:42:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2009 01:51:36(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I should have read the Russian part of the forum before. There are many interesting post. The most interesting are the recent ones. Actually, almost everything I mentioned here is already commented.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline omorr  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2009 18:36:11(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

omorr wrote:

Please take a look at the wiki Tutorial 0.85

Regards,
Radovan
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2009 20:18:47(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Very helpful document! Many thanks to the author!
Offline ElSid  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2009 01:48:30(UTC)
ElSid

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Please post a link to the tutorial WIKI in the downloads page. As a Mathcad user, I am trying to use SMATH wherever possible/work uses Mathcad and I use SMATH for verification. I do believe that Radovan is correct in his assessment. If you implement Units, curve fitting, and ODE/Solver, then more people will be interested. I want you to know that there is a following on the Mathcad forums on your product. Keep up the great work!

I use the portable version on both my personal machine and @ work. Why does it create a "Xenocode" folder?
Offline omorr  
#12 Posted : 30 September 2009 02:36:49(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
ElSid wrote:
Please post a link to the tutorial WIKI in the downloads page.

There is a link to the Tutorials on the download page. I hope this is Ok. If you would like to add some pages to the WIKI, feel free to do that.
ElSid wrote:

As a Mathcad user, I am trying to use SMATH wherever possible/work uses Mathcad and I use SMATH for verification. I do believe that Radovan is correct in his assessment. If you implement Units, curve fitting, and ODE/Solver, then more people will be interested. I want you to know that there is a following on the Mathcad forums on your product. Keep up the great work!

I hope sooner or latter, all these things would be implemented in SMath
ElSid wrote:

I use the portable version on both my personal machine and @ work. Why does it create a "Xenocode" folder?

I do not know anything about this (someone would explain this in more details to you, there are few posts about this - search the forum for "Xenocode" ). I suppose the portable version must use this (Xenocode software) and its procedures in order to make portable version (single executable file from an entire application).

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 01 October 2009 18:51:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ElSid  
#13 Posted : 05 October 2009 23:52:38(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Quote:
I do not know anything about this (someone would explain this in more details to you, there are few posts about this - search the forum for "Xenocode" ). I suppose the portable version must use this (Xenocode software) and its procedures in order to make portable version (single executable file from an entire application).

Regards,
Radovan

Being a portable version, it should not create any new directories. I can understand the settings.inf file that it creates, but the Xenocode directory I am clue less about. If it is a "necessary evil", then it should be set up as a temp file where the directory is deleted after you close SMath. Also, this particular directory is givng my syncing software fits. It errors out.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#14 Posted : 06 October 2009 01:32:27(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

This directory created by Xenocode engine and I can't do anything to remove it after program closed. Also, it is impossible to turn off this feature - I just can change this folder location.
That's it.
Offline ZioZione  
#15 Posted : 08 October 2009 13:35:40(UTC)
ZioZione

ElSid wrote:

Being a portable version, it should not create any new directories. I can understand the settings.inf file that it creates, but the Xenocode directory I am clue less about. If it is a "necessary evil", then it should be set up as a temp file where the directory is deleted after you close SMath. Also, this particular directory is givng my syncing software fits. It errors out.

Hi ElSid,
just a clarification: a portable program should not create any new folder ON THE GUEST PC (i.e. in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\* or C:\Windows folders), but absolutely can do anything in its own folder...
If you think that Xenocode folder is useless, I agree with you, but, as said by Admin, it cannot be deleted. If you give a try to the first portable version of SMath, it created Xenocode folder under User Local Settings folders of the guest PC (I think that this is more unacceptable for a portable program...). So I suggested him, some time ago, to move the Xenocode folder under SMath folder, for improve the portability. I think that this compromise is perfectly acceptable (more than carry with you .NET Framework...), also if Xenocode create an (undeletable) empty registry key (as useless as the folder)...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Offline ElSid  
#16 Posted : 09 October 2009 22:42:39(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

I agree it's a more acceptable compromise. No registry key and no folders floating around on others computer. I am used to many of my programs being portable (firefox, office, etc) and they tend to not create new folders without deleting them.

The second problem that I have with the Xenocode folder is that it gives my Sync software heartaches. Do not know if it's locked, but that folder and items within it will not sync