Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

10 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mkraska  
#81 Posted : 21 April 2013 14:05:49(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Radovan, thanks for the detailed report.

The XLSX features in the DataExchange plugin are switched off automatically under linux/mono, thus this is an expected limitation.

The CR/LF (carriage return/line feed) problem is one that I had to handle in my Linux days (when Win 3.1 was too unstable for real work). ASCII files (as the sm files are) have different line break encoding under Windows and Linux, see wikipedia. Programs relying on the line structure of input data must be aware of this. I had to convert ascii data files e.g. for plotting using scripts like dos2unix or unix2dos.

This may be totally irrelevant for the SMath file portability problem, it is just a blind guess. Sorry for not investigating that myself, it is a question of time budget.

Martin

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Davide Carpi  
#82 Posted : 21 April 2013 14:58:22(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
The path handling it's the same in all the packages, what changes is the XLSX support. Andrey will add a new variable for plugin developers to retrieve the worksheet path; until that moment relative paths will works with the current homemade workaround... I do not deny that there will still be some differences between the different distros (I'm thinking about the default path for new files), because the environment variables are implemented differently (that's a MONO issue, I think...).

The "Full package" contains the XLSX I/O functions both for Windows and Linux, so if someone can test them on Linux I'd appreciate that (although as I previously said, I expect a SMath crash).

The CR/LF difference exist (CR+LF for Windows worksheets, LF for Linux worksheets) however I do not think that produces issues.

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 21 April 2013 16:23:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
HUbuntu.sm - Notepad++.png
Windows.sm - Notepad++.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline kilele  
#83 Posted : 22 April 2013 12:58:39(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post

From my own experience, when the Wine or Mono are included, there is quite a chance that some things will simply not work or have some peculiar behavior sometimes.

There are many dependencies in Mono, I read on Linux forums that is quite a challenge to maintain new versions on their repositories.
Surely it would make sense if Andrey could compile his own versions of Mono prepared to run SMath in some popular Linux distributions, in a similar way as he does in the Windows portable version including .Net packages required for SMath.
All the more interesting given the fragmentation of efforts in the world of Linux.

Edited by user 22 April 2013 16:31:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kilele  
#84 Posted : 23 April 2013 02:06:41(UTC)
kilele

Linux test: Mint 11

I tried "linuxmint-11-gnome-cd-nocodecs-32bit.iso" by preparing a linux-live usb with this application:
http://www.pendrivelinux...installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
I installed "mono-complete" ( mono version was 2.6) by searching in 'software manager'.
From all distros I could try this is the most clear and elegant as well as responsive in my 1gb ram laptop.

Results:
* SMath can NOT load images (libpng errors on console)
* However SMath is able to load/save plots and animations!
* DataExchange plugin:
- everything worked except import (i.e xlsx export works!)
- plots on exported odf are shown as little icons or very litle images (don't know if this also happens in windows)
- relative path is home;didn't test custom directories.
* Other plugins seemed to work! (opened doc samples of statistical, nonlinearsolvers, customfunctions)

Edited by user 23 April 2013 02:47:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 23/04/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#85 Posted : 23 April 2013 11:16:21(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Thank you for you tests kilele and omorr, Good

I'll try to fix the import functions; anyway I'm happy to read that the XLSX export function works in your linux, probably I need to update my MONO Good

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 23 April 2013 11:18:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline kilele  
#86 Posted : 23 April 2013 12:21:27(UTC)
kilele

I wonder how repositories work on Mint, I tried Mint11 based on Ubuntu, could locate only Mono2.6 ( "mono-complete" ) and not the most recent versions, maybe in the last Mint the software manager can access more updated Mono.

Unlike Omorr's tests in Xubuntu, I could save sheets with plots/animations and the xlsx export, however he could load images in sheets which is not my case, there seems to be problems with libpng or gdiplus (their integration with mono must be problematic, another reason to suggest Andrey to provide a compiled mono tailored for SMath).

I'll try to test the last Mint versions, Mint 14 based on Ubuntu and above all Mint for Debian.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 12:47:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#87 Posted : 23 April 2013 13:27:51(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Thank you kilele Good

Installing mono-complete 2.11 in Ubuntu the XLSX export function works Clap

The import error importing ODS spreadsheets seem related to some inconsistence in the Ionic.zip library Censored
Offline kilele  
#88 Posted : 23 April 2013 16:17:51(UTC)
kilele

you are very welcome ^^
may i ask how did you install mono-complete 2.11 ? I can only see mono-complete 2.10.8.1-5ubuntu1 in mint14 repo which should be the same as ubuntu's.
or maybe you installed it with some bash script like this one:
http://www.integratedweb...12/04/install-mono-2-11/
btw can you load and save images in smath sheets ?
can't test mint for debian because does not detect my wireless but it'd be interesting to check debian's repository which must be well maintained and it is different from the usual installations tried by most people.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 16:19:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#89 Posted : 23 April 2013 16:48:28(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

2.10.8.1 yeah... rounded to upper in my mind Tongue

I can add images from the menu, but I can't load images opening the files (images appear with right size but totally white)

BTW there aren't misalignments (different OS, screen resolution and video card)
Offline omorr  
#90 Posted : 23 April 2013 17:02:50(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
I can add images from the menu, but I can't load images opening the files (images appear with right size but totally white)

Something like this?

omorr attached the following image(s):
whiteimages.png
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline Davide Carpi  
#91 Posted : 23 April 2013 17:05:58(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Something like this?

exactly Good

[EDIT] About saving, I've made in Ubuntu a worsheet with an image and works on Windows, so I think it's a loading problem.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 17:15:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#92 Posted : 23 April 2013 17:42:26(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

About saving, I've made in Ubuntu a worsheet with an image and works on Windows, so I think it's a loading problem.

Did you try to save the worksheet which includes some SMath plots besides the image regions? I can not do that, see please- saving in Xubuntu failed. As I could see kilele was successful with Mint- saving images works

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 23 April 2013 17:45:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kilele  
#93 Posted : 23 April 2013 17:48:12(UTC)
kilele

opps i upgraded to mono 2.8 from mint14 and now smath cant save plots exiting abruptly with errors in the console,
but it might be an issue related with mint14's desktop manager which works awful in my aging laptop with just 1gb ram, my last try will be Xfce Mint14.

So it seems that the last smath works different depending upon mono version. With mono 2.6 it can save plots and animations (which is not the case in omorr's xubuntu test with unknown mono version)

davide, did you tried in linux to export to odf the saple 'legendre' bult-in smaths'help ?
plots are shown as little icons or very litle images (dunno if this also happens in windows)

edit:
the odt issue with plots could not be important, I opened docs with the old libreoffice included in mint11 (libreoffice couldn't open the xlsx export which i had to send to googledrive to check its validity)

Edited by user 23 April 2013 18:29:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#94 Posted : 23 April 2013 18:23:16(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
... With mono 2.6 it can save plots and animations (which is not the case in omorr's xubuntu test with unknown mono version)

fortgot to mention, sorry Confusion It is Xubuntu 12.10 and mono version 2.10.8.1 (Debian 2.10.8.1-5ubuntu1)

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 23 April 2013 19:09:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kilele  
#95 Posted : 23 April 2013 20:00:54(UTC)
kilele

My last test Xfce Mint13 failed:
The preinstalled Mono version in the distro is the last one but its dependencies are not well arranged to run smath, there is an error asking for a missing mscorlib file. So I searched in the software manager and there was only a recent "mono-complete" from a Lubuntu repo (didn't appear Ubuntu) but I tried to install it without success (actually the installation process did not get to start).

Personal Conclusions on SMath for Linux :

- Preinstalled Mono in distros don't serve to run SMath in general.
- You must search and install a package called "mono-complete" belonging to Ubuntu's repository.
- Mono updates may break Smath features, with Mono2.6 one could save files with plots and animations, however this is not possible with Mono2.10.
- Image loading in SMath sheets is broken (libpng errors)
- There are mono dependencies involving desktop managers that affect SMath.
- Of course there are more repositories for other distros than Ubuntu, though in all of my tests it was impossible to run Smath (missing libraries, c# errors about conflict names).

Edited by user 23 April 2013 20:51:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 23/04/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#96 Posted : 23 April 2013 20:26:01(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

No, I can't save files with plots Sad

You are right kilele, images are too small for ODT files made in Linux; this is because the bitmap properties HorizontalResolution and VerticalResolution are both null... these properties are needed to calculate width an height from pixels to the OpenDocument allowed sizes (f.e. inches or cm)... the script returns "inifinity" as result so LO can't parse the correct size; seem a MONO lack... I can add an easy hack for Linux systems by using a tipical resolution (f.e. 90 dpi) but easily this can produce some size differences between the original image and the saved image.

Edited by user 23 April 2013 21:33:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kilele  
#97 Posted : 24 April 2013 01:44:50(UTC)
kilele

Do you mean these properties don't exist in Mono ?
what about using the library for graphics Cairo ?
Forgive my ignorance ^^
Offline Davide Carpi  
#98 Posted : 24 April 2013 02:25:48(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

No, is supported, but is buggy: [Mono-bugs][Bug 68117] (unsolved)

best regards,

w3b5urf3r
Offline Davide Carpi  
#99 Posted : 02 May 2013 23:19:52(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

I noticed another issue involving the Data Exchange plugin and SMath Studio 0.96; trying to use the OpenDocument features SMath Studio returns something like: "unable to load the file or the assembly 'Ionic.zip, Version...' ..."

I need to know if it's a SMath issue or it's something in my Notebook.

Thank you all in advance.

w3b5urf3r
Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
SMath Studio - [Page1].png
Offline omorr  
#100 Posted : 03 May 2013 00:26:47(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Davide,
I noticed another issue involving the Data Exchange plugin and SMath Studio 0.96; trying to use the OpenDocument features SMath Studio returns something like: "unable to load the file or the assembly 'Ionic.zip, Version...' ..."

I need to know if it's a SMath issue or it's something in my Notebook.

I've noticed some problems with the v0.96 and plugins as well after the updating, but ignored it for that moment because the "compact" version did not complain about them. It seems someone else had a similar experience, see here - plugin disabled? . I keep both "full" and Martin's "compact" versions. When updating from 0.95 to 0.96 from within full version, when running SMath the following error box appeared - (picture 1). I did not not know which one of the plugins were disabled and, actually, the strange thing is that it seems every plugin is there and not excluded as before. Therefore, I uninstalled and installed a "clean" v0.96. full version without plugins, keeping and using the compact version or the "clean" full version for recent testing.

Now, I tried to put only DataExchange plugin in the full version and the error reappeard (picture 1). The DataExchange was not disabled and I could use it. However, the same error you mentioned issued when trying to save as ODT in both "full" and compact version (picture 2). The question is: why the compact version does not complain about plugins Umnik . It seems that Martin did not have this problem Wonder

I hope I did not make some mess here in mixing all the things together.

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT: Just tried to insert other plugins made by you and uni. The error did not appear in the full version. It seems something is about DataExchange and 0.96

Edited by user 03 May 2013 00:38:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

omorr attached the following image(s):
dataexc2.png
dataexc1.png
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 03/05/2013(UTC)