Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline adiaz  
#81 Posted : 04 October 2012 08:51:21(UTC)
adiaz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
@Alvaro

Do you think these methods based on bisection could be useful for multivariate non-linear systems ?

Hi kilele. I have not enough experience solving nonlinear systems to help you in this question. What can I say it's that bisection "method" have the degree of theorem (called Bolzano), and this is the reason for what is very powerfull. Another point is that you can evaluate the time previously of a call of the solver, as is pointed in your first cited paper (in the conclusions).

And "always is there", this is, if you are implementing some method,can test some conditions for "go by the sure" and use bisection. For example, in "Algorithms for Minimization Without Derivatives" by Richard Brent, choose bisection or interpolation if (abs(c) < toler) + (abs(fa) <= abs(fCool)

Regards.

Alvaro.
Offline kilele  
#82 Posted : 04 October 2012 20:06:19(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
This is an interesting bisection algorithm for one function, focused on discover many roots
http://goo.gl/SfTOK

Edit:

I've found the algorithm in fortran for the generalized version I linked above:
paper
fortran code

Edited by user 04 October 2012 20:46:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#83 Posted : 06 October 2012 02:54:23(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1329 time(s) in 875 post(s)
FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY Beta

Hi all,

in the attached plugin:

- new function LevenbergMarquardt(...) - Levenberg-Marquardt optimization algorithm

- new function Hessian(...) - 2nd order derivatives

- All root-finding algorithms in k variable now accept multiple thresholds (a target precision value for each function)

- Fixed "custom decimal symbol" issue of HRE functions.

NOTES:
- Hessian() generates 2nd order derivatives or Hessians depending on the type of arguments.

PLEASE REPORT ANY ISSUE

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

P.S. minimization/optimization useful references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenberg%E2%80%93Marquardt_algorithm
http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/3215/pdf/imm3215.pdf
http://www.brnt.eu/phd/node10.html
http://www.it-weise.de/projects/book.pdf

P.P.S. @omorr or @uni I had trouble posting directly this message, there are likely 5 or 6 equal post in background.

Edited by user 06 October 2012 02:59:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
BETA_NonLinearSolvers.dll.zip (13kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
LevenbergMarquardt_testing.sm (23kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
Hessian_testing.sm (20kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 06/10/2012(UTC),  on 06/10/2012(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#84 Posted : 06 October 2012 09:10:51(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello w3b5urf3r,

I could see you are close to realizing the optimization (minimization/maximization) algorithms as well Good Friends Biggrinrinks:
Of course, derivatives would cause problems sometimes, and it would be quite useful if they could be avoided.
Originally Posted by: w3b5urf3r_reloaded Go to Quoted Post
P.P.S. @omorr or @uni I had trouble posting directly this message, there are likely 5 or 6 equal post in background.

I do not know what can we do about it. I suppose it is a SPAM filter of the Forum issue. Your unfinished versions of this post appeared in the unapproved posts.

If someone else experienced this, just let us know.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline omorr  
#85 Posted : 07 October 2012 16:25:02(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello w3b5urf3r,
I've seen you're example, unfortunately there are many little "issues" regarding the symbolic engine...

For example observes the first element of your f1(), f2() and f3() (look the attachments);

f1()

SMath seem unable to make a symbolical stack of the function; It's not difficult to understand why... the columns of the results matrix (if all it's correct) are the columns of the last stack argument -> 1; the rows are undefined because if el(X#,2),el(X#,4),el(X#,5) and el(X#,3) are vectors, the result is a vector... exluding the assumption that all unknown elements are numbers or a "size predeclaring", probably the issue could be solved using a "trial and error" procedure on the unknown size, but I think it's a very hard task Wallbash

f2()
Here there are SMath issues with derivatives... probably it's the same issue of f3() (and the same of this bug), IMHO all related to the symbolic simplification engine...

f3()
Here there are SMath issues with derivatives and elements...

Since all the issues with derivatives involving the Jacobian, so NewtonRaphson(), HRE.NR() and HRE.RK() in this example can not be used (at the moment, at least) Sad

Here we go again with this @nightmare@ example. If we can not use Jacobian (Smath can'not calculate them from neither of f1(),f2(),f3() functions) - let's try a numerically found one (calculated by my rather simple function Jacnum()). It seems it is working very well with this "driving me crazy" example and using quite bad initial guess and few simple NewtonRaphson with this numerically Jacobian ( Quasi-Quasi-NR-Omorr method Crazy )

See the attached example.

By the way, I would suggest you to consider using numerically found Jacobian in Levenberg-Marquardt method as well.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 09 October 2012 17:48:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Primer4.7w-1-Numerical-Jacobian.sm (233kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
omorr attached the following image(s):
Primer4.7w-1-Numerical-Jacobian.png
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 07/10/2012(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#86 Posted : 09 October 2012 02:16:09(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY Beta

Hi all,

in the attached plugin:

- new function GaussNewton(...) - Gauss-Newton optimization algorithm.
- new functions GoldenSectionSearch.min(...) and GoldenSectionSearch.max(...) - Golden Section Search minimization/maximization algorithms.
- new functions GradientDescent(...) and GradientDescent.GSS(...) - Gradient Descent optimization algorithm (respectively with fixed step length and GoldenSectionSearch-based step length).
- new functions NewtonMethod(...) and NewtonMethod.GSS(...) - Newton Method optimization algorithm (respectively with fixed step length and GoldenSectionSearch-based step length).
- new function Gradient(...) - 1st order derivatives.
- new function Diag(...) - improved SMath diag().
- function Jacobian(...) revisited (now returns only a derivative or a mxn Jacobian)
- solver Bisection(...) revisited (the number of iterations is no longer required, as reported by adiaz)

from previous BETA

- new function LevenbergMarquardt(...) - Levenberg-Marquardt optimization algorithm (previous BETA - fixed issues)
- new function Hessian(...) - 2nd order derivatives (previous BETA - no changes)
- All root-finding algorithms in k variable now accept multiple thresholds (a target precision value for each function) (previous BETA - no changes)
- Fixed "custom decimal symbol" issue of HRE functions. (previous BETA - no changes)

SEE THE ATTACHMENTS FOR ALL DETAILS - PLEASE REPORT ANY ISSUE

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
Hello w3b5urf3r,

Here we go again with this @nightmare@ example. If we can not use Jacobian (Smath can'not calculate them from neither of f1(),f2(),f3() functions) - let's try a numerically found one (calculated by my rather simple function Jacnum()). It seems it is working very well with this "driving me crazy" example and using quite bad initial guess and few simple NewtonRaphson with this numerically Jacobian ( Quasi-Quasi-NR-Omorr method Crazy )

See the attached example.

By the way, I would suggest you to use consider using numerically found Jacobian in Levenberg-Marquardt method as well.

Regards,
Radovan

I'm considering it, BTW i hope the issue on differentiation order it will be solved ASAP Biggrin .

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 09 October 2012 02:29:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
sources_NonLinearSolvers_20121009.7z (240kb) downloaded 95 time(s).
BETA_testing sm files.zip (25kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
BETA_NonLinearSolvers.dll.zip (16kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
SMath Studio - [rf_draft.sm]_2.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 09/10/2012(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#87 Posted : 09 October 2012 10:38:15(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Great work!

all test files worked, except for GoldenSectionSearch due to the issue with custom delimiter settings (pops up whenever there are dots in the function names in plugins).

BTW, the function desciptions appear twice in the Plugins dialog.

Best regards, Martin Kraska

Edited by user 09 October 2012 11:02:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Davide Carpi  
#88 Posted : 09 October 2012 11:09:11(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
Great work!

all test files worked, except for GoldenSectionSearch due to the issue with custom delimiter settings (pops up whenever there are dots in the function names in plugins).

Best regards, Martin Kraska

Thank you Martin, the "empty stack" issue it's a SMath bug related to the reference function name (now renamed, see the attachments)

BTW I've reuploaded both plugin and examples, with minor changes.

BTW, the function desciptions appear twice in the Plugins dialog.

The 2nd description appear when a function have "optional arguments"; indeed there is a boolean parameter to hide the description, but in the dynamic assistance description only; I don't know how (and if there is a way) to hide the second description in the plugin window (however I think it's a feature, not a bug).

best regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 09 October 2012 16:24:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
delimiters_bug.sm (2kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Options.png
SMath Studio.png
Options_2.png
Offline Davide Carpi  
#89 Posted : 09 October 2012 17:32:09(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

An interesting algorithm Good

Jacobian Computation-free Newton’s Method for Systems of Nonlinear Equations: http://jnmas.org/jnmas2-5.pdf

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by moderator 09 October 2012 17:51:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 09/10/2012(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#90 Posted : 09 October 2012 17:47:07(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello w3b5urf3r,

My congratulations for your efforts. Yo have all my respect for that Thank you .

But...I must be annoying with nagging so many times about Jacobian, Gradient, Hessian analytically Blush . I become to like the sentence "Jacobian Computation-free" as in your previous post.

This is (again Wallbash ) my Nonlinear least square test problem. I tried it with LevenberMarquartd(). As might be expected, almost impossible to solve it - large expression and problems with derivatives Grabli . I reduced the number of points (n=4) and the LM gave the result. One might try, but it should take more than an hour to get the result. Just wanted to check if this is working. It is working, but that slow and almost useless it this case.

I would kindly ask you just to try, when you have the time, to replace all those derivative dependent things wit some numerical complement. Regarding all those troubles with derivatives, I do not see any other way in order to get out from this very common problem like Nonlinear least squares. I tried to chage your LevenberMarquartd.ref() function and to replace Jacobian() and Gradient() with the numerical ones without success. Gradient() gave me troubles that I could not resolve - Just made it from my Jacnum() function, but it did not work.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 09 October 2012 17:55:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
NLMinimization-4.sm (95kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
NLMinimization-4.png
Offline kilele  
#91 Posted : 09 October 2012 21:25:34(UTC)
kilele

Look at this user guide for Alglib's LM function:
http://www.alglib.net/op...n/levenbergmarquardt.php
Read on from the section "Getting started with Levenberg-Marquardt", it seems this algorithm needs analytic Jacobian for achieving high performance or high accuracy.
Offline kilele  
#92 Posted : 09 October 2012 23:50:35(UTC)
kilele

Hope this can be of any help ^^

Newton-Raphson with finite diferences pages 10-11-12
http://dmaii.etsii.upm.e...ads/Clase_sisno_2_06.pdf

Levenberg–Marquardt with finite diferences page 33
http://www.jldelafuenteo...e_mincua_nolineal_12.pdf

Hybrid method: Levenberg-Marquardt + Quasi-Newton(Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno)
Matlab code page 81
http://riunet.upv.es/bit.../10251/10343/memoria.pdf

EDIT:

The last document contains 4 methods of least squares written in matlab
(analytic:fast but only for canonical/regular problems; numeric: flexible for many problems but memory/time consuming; hybrid: combines the latter ones)
There are also approximations for Jacobian and Gradient on page 84.

Edited by user 10 October 2012 03:35:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#93 Posted : 10 October 2012 00:05:48(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

BTW I've reuploaded both plugin and examples, with minor changes.

The 2nd description appear when a function have "optional arguments"; indeed there is a boolean parameter to hide the description, but in the dynamic assistance description only; I don't know how (and if there is a way) to hide the second description in the plugin window (however I think it's a feature, not a bug).

Hi, I just downloaded testfiles and plugin from post #86 and still get the empty stack message with GoldenSectionSearch_testing.sm.

As to the function list in the plugin manager: I forgot that smath treats same names with different numbers of args as different functions. Thus the apparently same entries are not really identical. Perhaps ordering by name would make that more obvious.

Now some even less important issue:
In the function descriptions, the german translation of the argument names is somewhat odd. Lower and upper bounds ("delimiter" ) appear as "Trennzeichen", meaning "delimiting character" just as dec and arg delimiter. I guess you do not have much choice as to how choose names for the arguments. Even if that might be less descriptive, it would perhaps be more safe to use "variable".

Best regards, Martin

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Davide Carpi  
#94 Posted : 10 October 2012 01:24:29(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi, I just downloaded testfiles and plugin from post #86 and still get the empty stack message with GoldenSectionSearch_testing.sm.

Thank you, please try again with the new "BETA_testing sm files.zip", I've forgot to replace the ";" in two reference functions.

As to the function list in the plugin manager: I forgot that smath treats same names with different numbers of args as different functions. Thus the apparently same entries are not really identical. Perhaps ordering by name would make that more obvious.

In the function descriptions, the german translation of the argument names is somewhat odd. Lower and upper bounds ("delimiter" ) appear as "Trennzeichen", meaning "delimiting character" just as dec and arg delimiter. I guess you do not have much choice as to how choose names for the arguments. Even if that might be less descriptive, it would perhaps be more safe to use "variable".

Best regards, Martin

No problem, I'll do it in the next relase.

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 10 October 2012 04:23:08(UTC)  | Reason: javascript:__doPostBack('forum$ctl03$PostReply','')

Offline omorr  
#95 Posted : 10 October 2012 10:20:15(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,
Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
Hope this can be of any help ^^

Newton-Raphson with finite diferences pages 10-11-12
http://dmaii.etsii.upm.e...ads/Clase_sisno_2_06.pdf

Levenberg–Marquardt with finite diferences page 33
http://www.jldelafuenteo...e_mincua_nolineal_12.pdf

Hybrid method: Levenberg-Marquardt + Quasi-Newton(Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno)
Matlab code page 81

EDIT:

The last document contains 4 methods of least squares written in matlab
(analytic:fast but only for canonical/regular problems; numeric: flexible for many problems but memory/time consuming; hybrid: combines the latter ones)
There are also approximations for Jacobian and Gradient on page 84.

Numerical derivatives, Jacobian, Gradient, Hessian must be sometimes used sooner or later - in spite of their numerical drawbacks.

By the way, I mentioned the following issue few times. You can use cinterp() or ainterp() to obtain a spline interpolation from a tabulated two dimensional data and to find a spline function. But you can not have the derivatives of that function. One of the main reason to use the interpolation methods is to make a continuous function from data which can be then differentiated and integrated - in SMath the derivatives of this spline function can not be obtained at the moment.

Regards,
Radovan

P.S. Mathcad is using a variation of Ridder's method for finding derivatives numerically.

Edited by user 10 October 2012 16:19:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

splinedifint.png
Offline kilele  
#96 Posted : 10 October 2012 18:14:54(UTC)
kilele

Please have in mind if you take into account my last document link:
that it assumes the function has first and second derivatives and both are continue, otherwise the conditions to calculate the minimum change and so do the algorithms to apply, in that case the author invites the reader to consult:
"Roger Fletcher. Practical Methods of Optimization. John Wiley & Sons, 2001"
Offline mkraska  
#97 Posted : 10 October 2012 20:18:54(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Thank you, please try again with the new "BETA_testing sm files.zip", I've forgot to replace the ";" in two reference functions.

Best regards, Martin

No problem, I'll do it in the next relase.

Hi,

no empty stack messages any more, thank you. Also thanks for not disregarding my superficial feedback.

Best regards, Martin
Martin Kraska

Offline Davide Carpi  
#98 Posted : 11 October 2012 02:06:56(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
Hello w3b5urf3r,

My congratulations for your efforts. Yo have all my respect for that Thank you .

But...I must be annoying with nagging so many times about Jacobian, Gradient, Hessian analytically Blush . I become to like the sentence "Jacobian Computation-free" as in your previous post.

This is (again Wallbash ) my Nonlinear least square test problem. I tried it with LevenberMarquartd(). As might be expected, almost impossible to solve it - large expression and problems with derivatives Grabli . I reduced the number of points (n=4) and the LM gave the result. One might try, but it should take more than an hour to get the result. Just wanted to check if this is working. It is working, but that slow and almost useless it this case.

I would kindly ask you just to try, when you have the time, to replace all those derivative dependent things wit some numerical complement. Regarding all those troubles with derivatives, I do not see any other way in order to get out from this very common problem like Nonlinear least squares. I tried to chage your LevenberMarquartd.ref() function and to replace Jacobian() and Gradient() with the numerical ones without success. Gradient() gave me troubles that I could not resolve - Just made it from my Jacnum() function, but it did not work.

Regards,
Radovan
Hi omorr,

Seems that the computation efforts are in the Jacobian calculation... BTW I'm implementing Central Differences Gradient/Jacobian/Hessian (in the attachment a test with your primer_47w Good )

An interesting algorithm Good

Jacobian Computation-free Newton’s Method for Systems of Nonlinear Equations: http://jnmas.org/jnmas2-5.pdf

regards,

w3b5urf3r
In the attachment a sm file containing the algorithm above... works, but not as expected Sad

regards,

w3b5urf3r

Edited by user 11 October 2012 02:12:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
JCFN.sm (25kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
SMath Studio - [Primer4.7w-1-debug.sm].png
Offline omorr  
#99 Posted : 11 October 2012 10:20:37(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello w3b5urf3r,
Seems that the computation efforts are in the Jacobian calculation... BTW I'm implementing Central Differences Gradient/Jacobian/Hessian (in the attachment a test with your primer_47w Good )

Thank you very much and I am very grateful to you Good . Thank you .
I'm looking forward to it and really hope that this will improve the situation, although the step size is critical here. When you have the time, could you please consider something like Ridder's method I've mentioned. As I understood, the derivatives are calculated with some larger step and decreased afterwards. Something like described here - Ridder's method.

...In the attachment a sm file containing the algorithm above... works, but not as expected Sad

It looks quite simple and promising. Therefore, If I would have it available I'll always give it a try first.

Regards,
Radovan

criticalh.png
Offline mkraska  
#100 Posted : 12 October 2012 01:05:10(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Hi,

I did some simple testing, here are the results.
The screenshot is generated with standard settings for dec and arg delims.

Broyden and HRE.B generate errors with non-standard settings (dec , and arg Wink. All other errors seem not to be custom settings related.

Quite interesting that solve(4) outperforms them all in the given example.

Most solvers that take intervals as arguments just allow one root in that interval.

Best regards, Martin
File Attachment(s):
trig.sm (19kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
mkraska attached the following image(s):
trig.png
Martin Kraska