Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline xanderak  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2018 00:35:39(UTC)
xanderak

Groups: Registered

Hi this software looks promising and I'd like to switch from Mathcad, but ran up against these few things that is preventing the switch.

Need to be able to open/convert MathCAD Prime files

Min() and max() functions ought be overloaded to also accept multiple arguments (same functionality as Mathcad). Or provide an easy way to convert the old mathcad files.

Cursor position / selection interface is not intuitive / cumbersome / buggy. Cursor needs to work like mathcad, not jump around semi-randomly.

I understand Smath is free and I'm in no position to make demands. But I hope the software is successful and including above in your planned development should help a lot.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline ElSid  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2018 02:07:09(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
There are a few ex Mathcad users. Yes, it's not as feature rich as say Mathcad 11 or even 15, I never went with Prime, but this is a great alternative. Not only that, but this is a project done by many volunteers. Features get implemented on their time, unless you want to pay
SMath = Free forever (Thank you Andrey and company)
PTC Prime = $600 for a 1 year subscription license to all the features
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2018 03:14:26(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: xanderak Go to Quoted Post
Hi this software looks promising and I'd like to switch from Mathcad, but ran up against these few things that is preventing the switch.

Min() and max() functions ought be overloaded to also accept multiple arguments (same functionality as Mathcad).Or provide an easy way to convert the old mathcad files.

Cursor position / selection interface is not intuitive / cumbersome / buggy.Cursor needs to work like mathcad, not jump around semi-randomly.

I understand Smath is free and I'm in no position to make demands.But I hope the software is successful and including above in your planned development should help a lot.

1. Smath is not a clone of Mathcad. That lot of maths are similar is simply that
Smath source code are same from public as Mathcad.
2. You can only attempt to code some of your Mathcad ... from simple to difficult.
3. Samples [in this forum] contains 100's of Smath adapted from Mathcad 11.
4. Max/Min value in matrix/vector
5. max/min of vector function(s) [example attached]
6. Cursor position is from Win, nothing to do with Smath.

Welcome to Smath Community.

2D Plot Discontinuous [min(,)].sm (15kb) downloaded 47 time(s).

Random_10 Fill Segment.sm (40kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

Genfit Rational Type J_6.sm (62kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
Offline Jean Giraud  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2018 06:00:42(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
Cursor needs to work like mathcad

Do you have that in Mathcad ... hover the pointer on the function.

Gradient.PNG

Offline Jean Giraud  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2018 06:03:50(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
Do you have that in Mathcad ... hover the pointer on the function.

... forgot to attach the document.

Genfit [HV_WEZ].sm (40kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
Offline alyles  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2018 18:37:30(UTC)
alyles

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: xanderak Go to Quoted Post

Mathcad Prime != MathCAD != SMath. If I recall correctly PTC didn't even have a great way to convert between MathCAD and MathCAD Prime. I know there existed a converter tool, but I had sporadic luck with it. This really isn't feasible between SMath and Mathcad or SMath and Mathcad prime. It best to manually convert.

xanderak wrote:
Min() and max() functions ought be overloaded to also accept multiple arguments (same functionality as Mathcad). Or provide an easy way to convert the old mathcad files.

If you install the custom functions plugin, it includes functions that do this.

xanderak wrote:
Cursor position / selection interface is not intuitive / cumbersome / buggy. Cursor needs to work like mathcad, not jump around semi-randomly.

Not sure what problems you've encountered with this. Do you have specific suggestions? Again, SMath != MathCAD. The interfaces you mention in SMath I have become familiar with (being a Mathcad convert myself) and now find MathCAD UX clumsy. It's just a different program.

xanderak wrote:
I understand Smath is free and I'm in no position to make demands. But I hope the software is successful and including above in your planned development should help a lot.

I love the quick response from developers to improvements and input from the users. There is a great community in this forum if you have questions on implementations as well.

Example of Min/Max functions:

Untitled.png

Edited by user 22 June 2018 21:08:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Feel free to join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW