Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline subseapark  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2017 07:16:41(UTC)
subseapark

Groups: Registered
United States

I want to plot log-log graphs. I saw on a previous post that the ZebGraph and Maxima plugins can be used for this, but the Smath version I'm running reports that these plugins are not supported.

I'm using Smath version 0.98.6484.11448. What version of Smath should I use?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline mkraska  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2017 11:22:00(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1124 time(s) in 721 post(s)
Actually, the Maxima plugin should work for the current stable SMath release. If there are any error messages, please let me know. The easiest way to get the plugin to work is to use the portable distribution (link in my signature). Then please follow the instructions in https://en.smath.info/fo...t2078_Maxima-Plugin.aspx

There is a snippet "Draw Descriptions" to support the use of Maxima graphics commands (provides help texts in the dynamic assistant)

2017-11-06 09_14_32-SMath Studio - [loglog1.sm_].png
loglog1.sm (247kb) downloaded 61 time(s).

Edited by user 06 November 2017 19:12:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 06/11/2017(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2017 13:18:33(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: subseapark Go to Quoted Post
I want to plot log-log graphs.

So, the log-log plugin is not delivered with the latest stable version.
The logpts base/user is something most useful to populate the low region
of Engineering plot as well as pure maths.
Read 1rst "Demo", 2nd "Application"

Cheers, Jean

Utilities logpts Demo.sm (17kb) downloaded 81 time(s).

Utilities logpts Application.sm (29kb) downloaded 69 time(s).

Offline subseapark  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2017 15:39:19(UTC)
subseapark

United States

In response to mkraka, I received the attached error (error.jpg) after downloading the Maxima plugin and restarting Smath. I did however manage to get the plugin to work by selecting it from the error window followed by update.

The problem I have now is getting the plot function to work (error2.jpeg). You mentioned "There is a snippet "Draw Descriptions" to support the use of Maxima graphics commands (provides help texts in the dynamic assistant)", could you provide a link to this as your previous link gave an error.

Thanks
Offline mkraska  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2017 19:22:09(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

In response to mkraka, I received the attached error (error.jpg) after downloading the Maxima plugin and restarting Smath. I did however manage to get the plugin to work by selecting it from the error window followed by update.

The problem I have now is getting the plot function to work (error2.jpeg). You mentioned "There is a snippet "Draw Descriptions" to support the use of Maxima graphics commands (provides help texts in the dynamic assistant)", could you provide a link to this as your previous link gave an error.

Thanks

I don't see any images (attachments). Use the paper clip symbol in the post editor to upload and attach images.

The link is corrected (the period was taken as part of the link)

You find snippets in the snippets section of the online gallery: Tools> Snippet Manager
In the extension manager, switch from local storage to online gallery (top right button).
Once downloaded, you can insert the snippet as a closed area region by typing draw TAB.

There should be no more error messages when downloading the Maxima plugin (just marked the latest version as stable).

Here is the file which generates the examples in my handbook. It is in german but the examples are language-independent.

Draw2D3D.sm (331kb) downloaded 84 time(s).

Edited by user 06 November 2017 19:28:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 2 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 06/11/2017(UTC),  on 07/11/2017(UTC)
Offline subseapark  
#6 Posted : 07 November 2017 01:43:42(UTC)
subseapark

United States

Reply to mkraska.

Firstly, thanks for your detailed responses. The information provided in your handbook, the Maxima snippet, and your sample file, is simply outstanding. The handbook is a comprehensive and well laid out. It appears comparable with, if not better than, that produced by many high budget commercial software providers. As a support document for open source software it is truthfully impressive. Despite being non-literate in German, I found it surprising easy to follow.

Here is the error message that I am having trouble with, hopefully attached this time. I now realise that adding an attachment is a two step process (upload AND attach) opposed to a one step upload!
error2.jpg

With regard to the Maxima installation on my laptop, it is located in the C:\ directory, SMath is in C:\Programs (x86)\, and the Maxima path has been added to the Maxima settings in SMath. The version of Smath I have is 0.98 (build 6484).

Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2017 01:58:20(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Firstly, thanks for your detailed responses. The information provided in your handbook, the Maxima snippet, and your sample file, is simply outstanding. The handbook is a comprehensive and well laid out. It appears comparable with, if not better than, that produced by many high budget commercial software providers. As a support document for open source software it is truthfully impressive. Despite being non-literate in German, I found it surprising easy to follow.

Good to hear. There were also successfull attempts to generate automatic translations of the PDF.

You might also try to download the interactive handbook (tools> plugins> Interactive books> online gallery). This one comes as interlinked SMath documents in german and english.

Also have a look at (tools> plugins> Examples> Getting started with SMath).

BTW, the SMath core program isn't open source, just the third party contributions (like the Maxima plugin) are.

Here is the error message that I am having trouble with, hopefully attached this time. I now realise that adding an attachment is a two step process (upload AND attach) opposed to a one step upload!
error2.jpg

With regard to the Maxima installation on my laptop, it is located in the C:\ directory, SMath is in C:\Programs (x86)\, and the Maxima path has been added to the Maxima settings in SMath. The version of Smath I have is 0.98 (build 6484).

Strange. What Maxima version do you have? Could you please run the attached test file?

Plugin Maxima Test.sm (451kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

Edited by user 07 November 2017 02:12:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 07/11/2017(UTC)
Offline justhumm  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2017 03:20:24(UTC)
justhumm

United States

I am an SMath novice and not at all familiar with using Maxima, but I recently loaded the Maxima plugin to test out some of the graphing features.

I am trying to plot XY-scatter points that are saved in matrix-form. I can do this in the native SMath plot feature and the XY-Plot plugin, but can't seem to recreate this in the Maxima plugin...I get drawing errors.

I tried dowloading an running the "Plugin%20Maxima%20Test.sm", but it was calculating for over 10 minutes and seemed to have some calculation failures in it. I am using SMath version 0.98 (build: 6484).

Can anyone see something that I am doing wrong? (PDF and JPG attached)

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

Plugin-Maxima-Test.pdf (1,042kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
Offline mkraska  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2017 04:06:48(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

The maxima test has indeed some failures in it. If run the first time, compilation of Maxima packages can take a while, in particular for lapack, which usually fails due to insufficient memory allocation in Steel Bank Common Lisp. However, CLISP is slower and can't handle unicode.

points.sm (176kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
points.pdf (205kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
points.png
Martin Kraska

Offline justhumm  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2017 00:51:50(UTC)
justhumm

United States

Thanks for the response.

However, the "Logarithmic" scale feature doesn't seem to be working.

With the "Logarithmic" box checked off, any changes made to the points equation (applying a 0.5 factor, for example) won't even be shown on the graph.

And I'm not sure if the logarithmic issue that I am having is related, but when I opened the "Update16.sm" file, it was still calculating after 90 minutes (stuck in a loop somewhere). This was the same sort of behavior that I was seeing with the previously noted test file.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG
Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 09 November 2017 00:54:49(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Could you please add the .sm file?
Martin Kraska

Offline justhumm  
#12 Posted : 09 November 2017 03:19:32(UTC)
justhumm

United States

SM attached (Maxima graphs are at the bottom)

HW5-2 - Copy.sm (68kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
Offline mkraska  
#13 Posted : 09 November 2017 11:30:29(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

The plotting function is not robust enough to silently suppress undefined values. In log-plots make sure that your points are strictly positive.
Martin Kraska

Offline Jean Giraud  
#14 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:22:18(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 981 time(s) in 809 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
The plotting function is not robust enough to silently suppress undefined values.
In log-plots make sure that your points are strictly positive.

Mathcad 11 would not log-plot data starting with variates '0'

Smath 6179 does install Zedgraph, read more in the atached.

HW5-2 - Copy [Pllugin(s) installation failed].sm (57kb) downloaded 39 time(s).