Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2009 02:51:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio pages can contains 2D and 3D graphs.

Plot canvases can be manually resized:

To plot the Graphs user can define matrices of a points (2 columns matrices for 2D and 3 columns matrices for 3D) instead of the math functions:

(download an example)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Greg Locock  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2009 09:08:20(UTC)
Greg Locock

Groups: Registered

Use the systems of equations icon in Functions to get multiple curves on a plot
Offline mar  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2009 20:24:18(UTC)
mar

How do you resize the canvas without changing the axis limits? In other words I just want a larger version of that is already in the canvas, ie lock the down the axis limits while resizing. Also would like the ability to set the axis limits directly instead of just using graphic handles.
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2009 20:31:11(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello mar,
mar wrote:
How do you resize the canvas without changing the axis limits? In other words I just want a larger version of that is already in the canvas, ie lock the down the axis limits while resizing. Also would like the ability to set the axis limits directly instead of just using graphic handles.

Chosee "Scaling" from the palete. Then, with the scroll mouse wheel you can scale both axis (with the left button you can move). Pressing CTRL or SHIFT you will scale x or y axis separately with the scroll mouse wheel. The 2D and 3D manipulation and configuration will be improved sooner or later.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 13 September 2009 21:07:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mar  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2009 20:44:11(UTC)
mar

Sorry I do not understand. Where do I find "scaling" and from which panel.

Update:
Ok now I see what you mean. I had to go and get a mouse with a scroll wheel. The track pointer & track pad I was uisng does not have scroll wheel. Is there a way to access the scroll wheel actions when you don't actually have a scroll wheel?

Edited by user 13 September 2009 20:58:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2009 21:14:15(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

mar wrote:
Sorry I do not understand. Where do I find "scaling" and from which panel.

Update:
Ok now I see what you mean. I had to go and get a mouse with a scroll wheel. The track pointer & track pad I was uisng does not have scroll wheel. Is there a way to access the scroll wheel actions when you don't actually have a scroll wheel?

That is, actually, a problem. By choosing "Scale" from the "Plot" pallete you can replace mouse wheel by pressing left mouse button and moving at the same time. This will rescale both x an y axis at the same time. Separate scaling is not possible without mouse wheel (I think). This is introduced in the recent version. You can try to use some scale factor (multiply or devide with same constant) for the axis you are interested in, in order to see the plot in the way you find it suitable.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline omorr  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2010 16:57:08(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Prof. Gilberto Urroz added a Tutorial on the Wiki Examples of 2D&3D graphs v0.85

Many thanks for that Good
Offline trucjensen  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2010 15:18:48(UTC)
trucjensen

Hi

It would be excellent, if it was possible to change the scale on the axis'es, to make them "human readable" :-). Instead of the binary scale "128, 256, 384, 512..." I would prefer "100, 200, 300...".

It is difficult to read, which x-value corresponds to at given y-value. I know it is possible to achive this by using the solve-function, but my students must be able to read the value manually...

Yours

Michael
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2010 03:15:57(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

SMath Studio 0.90 will be able to draw strings on the Plot Control canvas:

Where:
  • Column 1: X-coordinate;
  • Column 2: Y-coordinate;
  • Column 3: Text to draw;
  • Column 4 (optional): Font height;
  • Column 5 (optional): Color of the text;

Regards.

Edited by user 18 August 2010 03:18:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

• Offline omorr  
    #10 Posted : 18 August 2010 09:05:26(UTC)
    omorr

Man
    Serbia

Hello Andrey,

This is very welcome Good . I remember, I waited this to be in Mathcad for many years. I think this is still not possible (not sure, but anyway it is not important anymore).

I hope that line thicknes and point size options will be introduced in SMath sooner or later, including representing plots with lines and points on the sam graph. However, it crossed my mind that point plots can be made by the features you explained. We can use at least three columns X, Y and the third colum with the same character say "x". Then we could have a "plot" with points. Hmm..., I was thinking something. I think there is no matrix function which will fill the matrix with the same elements, say a character. Never mind, we could use "for" loop here. I hope I am right about all of this.

Regards,
    Radovan

EDIT: It seems I am not quite right about "plotting" characters. Based on the exmaple picture, it seems that the character will be placed on the graph with its upper left corner at the x-y coordinates given.

Edited by user 18 August 2010 09:39:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Greg Locock  
    #11 Posted : 18 August 2010 13:50:40(UTC)
    Greg Locock

Excellent work. I'm guessing that the structure has to be called 'plotter'?

Now we need user definable tic intervals.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #12 Posted : 18 August 2010 14:17:55(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

Hello.

Greg Locock, no, "plotter" is just a variable to store all the graph commands (i.e. text, functions and dots drawings) - you can use any other or not to use it at all (by putting all the commands directly on the graph's placeholder).

omorr wrote:
    We can use at least three columns X, Y and the third colum with the same character say "x".

Good point! I've tested it and see an observation here. This is how it looks like today:

As you can see, centres of the chars are not in the right places and actually I can't imagine a way to find out the right centre of the symbols (note, that f.e. "x" char has different centre point depending on Font name). As a solution I think to handle some special chars (f.e.: "x", "*", ".", "o") to draw them correctly.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
    Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #13 Posted : 18 August 2010 14:32:07(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

Seems Matlab developers have chosen the similar way - http://www.engin.umich.e...oup/ctm/extras/plot.html
    Offline omorr  
    #14 Posted : 18 August 2010 14:51:37(UTC)
    omorr

Man
    Serbia

Hello Andrey,
    smath wrote:
    As you can see, centres of the chars are not in the right places and actually I can't imagine a way to find out the right centre of the symbols (note, that f.e. "x" char has different centre point depending on Font name). As a solution I think to handle some special chars (f.e.: "x", "*", ".", "o") to draw them correctly.

Yes, that's I was thinking about. As I understood you well, if the third column is a single special character like (f.e.: "x", "*", ".", "o") then you can adjust the position of the character in order to be its center on the given coordinates. Why not, that would be Ok with me. I do not know if you can make a special devoted function for plotting points, character. I suppose not because you would have done that already. For instance, if there would be a function like this:

r:=plotter(X,Y,"char",size,"color" )

and to put just "r" in the graph - that would be, I do not know, just great Clap Dance Clapping

Regards,
    Radovan

EDIT: Yes, you are right about Matlab (I wrote this just before your comment). Besides Matlab, many other software uses similar functions to make plots.

Edited by user 18 August 2010 14:54:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #15 Posted : 18 August 2010 15:57:40(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

omorr wrote:
    As I understood you well, if the third column is a single special character like (f.e.: "x", "*", ".", "o") then you can adjust the position of the character in order to be its center on the given coordinates.

Actually I will draw my own geometry primitives instead of the Font chars - this is the only way to avoid wrong locations.

omorr wrote:
    I do not know if you can make a special devoted function for plotting points, character. I suppose not because you would have done that already. For instance, if there would be a function like this:

r:=plotter(X,Y,"char",size,"color" )

and to put just "r" in the graph - that would be, I do not know, just great Clap Dance Clapping

Do you think it will help? Please, see the screenshot:

For me, these functions will not make it easier to draw text. But I can be wrong.

P.S.: Ah... now I know, that in GB word is "centre", but in US - "center" Grabli In future will use US variant.
    Offline omorr  
    #16 Posted : 18 August 2010 16:51:06(UTC)
    omorr

Man
    Serbia

Hello Andrey,

I think we understood eachother about the character location and coordinates, and sorry for the "center"and "centre" - I interchange them often.

Regards,
    Radovan

P.S. On the basis of an example you sent me, I was trying to make plots with small circles. I've given up because it seems to me to complicated at the moment.

Edited by user 18 August 2010 16:53:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #17 Posted : 18 August 2010 17:24:41(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

omorr wrote:
    and sorry for the "center"and "centre" - I interchange them often

Don't be sorry, it's my mistake - I even didn't know about these differences Good Do you know what kind of language US/GB English preferable in the web? I mean what should we use in the forum?

Back to the topic. I've implemented special characters:

Other size and color:

omorr wrote:
    I was trying to make plots with small circles. I've given up because it seems to me to complicated at the moment.

Now we can create any circles we need! Dance

File: textInGraphsSpecialChars.sm (do not try to open it in earlier then 0.90 versions)

Edited by user 18 August 2010 17:26:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
    #18 Posted : 18 August 2010 18:23:08(UTC)
    omorr

Man
    Serbia

Hello Andrey,

I am qute surprised and satisfied with what I see in your screenshot Happy. Did not quite understand what is happening in the "for" loop, but never mind.

EDIT: I think I figured out now Good . First row of zeros confused me.

It looks that you did it in almost no time Good . That's something SMath is missing for a long time.

Looking forward to see it in 0.90 Good

Regards,
    Radovan

P.S. About GB/US I hardly know what the exact differences are. I am writing the words which are on my mind without to much thinking.

Edited by user 18 August 2010 19:12:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline maweilian  
    #19 Posted : 18 August 2010 18:41:32(UTC)
    maweilian

Man
    United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
    Andrey,

I also like what I see. It also appears that you have used a collapsible region. In this case, it helps immensely to hide the clutter involved in defining the points on the graph. Hopefully, this will also be included in version 0.90? Yes

Regards,
    Will
    Will Massie
    Mechanical Engineer
    Oregon, USA
    Offline Andrey Ivashov  
    #20 Posted : 18 August 2010 19:15:43(UTC)
    Andrey Ivashov

Man
    Russian Federation

OK. To provide some testing I've decided to release alpha version:

SMathStudioDesktop.0_89_2.Setup.msi (Date: 18.08.2010. File size: 1.35MB)
    SMathStudioDesktop.0_89_2.Portable.exe (Date: 18.08.2010. File size: 17.3MB) - .Net Framework 2.0 doesn't required

Most important changes:
    - plenty of bugs fixed;
    - Several physical constants added;
    - Area activated in the Insert menu. Important! You can open and save files with collapsed or expanded Area, but you cannot add any new items, move or delete already existed items and there are several other limitations while one or more Areas on the page collapsed! To make any changes you must expand Area(s)!
    - Added ability to draw text on the Plot canvas.

maweilian wrote:
    Hopefully, this will also be included in version 0.90?

I also hope to finish the work on the Area control ASAP.

Regards.