Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Poll Question : Do you plan to use SMath Viewer
Choice Votes Statistics
  In learning
15 %
  For personal usage
36 %
  In buziness
44 %
  Useless for me
2 %
  Total 76 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2013 02:23:42(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello.

With a new version of SMath Studio I've released SMath Viewer File Type plug-in which allows to create standalone executable files (*.exe) from your worksheets. SMath Viewer is an alternative GUI for SMath Studio.

The idea of SMath Viewer is that SMath Studio (as well as Mathcad) is a great application but sometimes it is too complex for regular engineer. Indeed, SMath Studio was initially created for composing worksheets of any complexity with many of built-in features introduced to simplify this process. As a result sometimes the end-users have to see too much excess information on the worksheets when it is just needed to read results of calculations in convenient way.

SMath Viewer plug-in creates applications to show only data users are needed to be seen. At the same time it works directly with SMath Studio worksheets, so no any significant actions required to reuse existing libraries of files. SMath Viewer is a distribution platform for worksheets created using SMath Studio.

So SMath Studio is an editor for worksheets and SMath Viewer is a reader. Simple, isn't it? Good

Lets start using it!

Open SMath Studio 0.96 (or newer), create some variables, formulas and text in the worksheet and open Save File dialog (File > Save as).

Choose SMath Viewer file type from the combobox under the file name input and press Save button.

In the chosen directory you'll see an output application which is ready to be started.

Double click on it and you will see SMath Viewer form where all the created regions shown as standard OS (Operating System) controls.

Obviously to make a good output application we need to have possibilities to create better look of the app... and SMath Studio gives you such a feature.
All you need to do is to improve your worksheet. Here are the options:
  1. Some regions (such as Math Region or Plot) in SMath Studio has a Description feature. So use it to set description for the items;
    >
  2. Use expanded Area region to group items on the output form (nested Areas supported Wink) or collapsed Area regions to hide regions you don't want to be a part of user interface;
    >
  3. Use Separator region to separate your worksheet on several tabs (to set title for the first tab just put Separator before all other regions);
    >
  4. Fill in fields in Properties dialog (File > Properties) to set output window title, program's description, author etc. This is very important to make a solid final product;
    >
  5. Use units in your worksheet (nice units selectors will be automatically shown in output application);
    >

SMath Viewer GUI looks very simple, but it is very extendable!
  1. It automatically supports all plug-ins created for SMath Studio (all DLLs from plugins directory of SMath Studio);
  2. It has built-in multilanguage support - just set all text entries, descriptions and file properties in several languages and SMath Viewer will be opened in correct language for different users;
  3. It supports units;

Imagine what is a great opportunity to create and deliver such a powerful applications to end-user using so familiar and user-friendly interface of SMath Studio! Moreover with SMath Viewer you are able:
  1. To protect your worksheets (end-user cannot see the logic of your worksheet);
  2. End-user just cannot accidentally change or break you worksheet - output results will be always correct;
  3. There is no need to install applications - just copy and run them anywhere;
  4. Output application is faster even then SMath Studio! This is because when you work with a tab on the form on any data change only controls located on this tab will be recalculated. Other controls from other tabs will not affect on the overall evaluation speed;
  5. Application supports multi-threading, so it always response;
  6. Size of the output application is about 0.5MB (it may vary based on plug-ins and languages used).

Introduced is only the first version of SMath Viewer so there are still many things to do.

For now SMath Viewer file type plug-in is a freeware (the same as SMath Studio), but the output files cannot be sold or used in commerce. You can use them today for your own purposes or in learning (with no restrictions).

If you want to create applications based on SMath Viewer for your organization to share them among the employees, you also have such an ability, but this is not free. Such paid version of SMath Viewer has some significant improvements against to its freeware version:
  1. Applications allowed for sale and commercial usage (all banners and restrictions removed);
  2. Signed by code certificate (you always sure application is not modified by viruses or hackers and that it is safe to use it);
  3. Worksheets are obfuscated (completely impossible to restore initial SMath Studio worksheet from EXE);
  4. Icon of the program can be changed to any requested one.

If you have any questions or suggestions just let me know here or via e-mail.

P.S.: Please try these example applications to see how SMath Viewer can be really used (these applications created for demo purposes only and may function not always correctly):
  1. EmbeddedPlate.exe (ENG/RUS) - doubleclick on the Embedded Plate on the first tab

2. TheFoundation.exe (ENG/RUS) - click/doubleclick on the columns on the first tab, add new columns on the first tab and play with soils on the second

3. Oscillating.exe (ENG/RUS) - example with built-in animation

4. РасчётТрубобетоннойКолонны.exe (RUS) - just a simple useful program

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.

Edited by user 16 May 2013 23:26:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 02/05/2013(UTC),  on 02/05/2013(UTC),  on 06/07/2016(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2013 02:50:18(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Offline mkraska  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2013 17:44:38(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
The german handbook now has a chapter on SMath Viewer based on the introduction above.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 04/05/2013(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2013 02:08:28(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Example applications updated (generated using SMath Studio 0.96.4875).

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 07/05/2013(UTC)
Offline xyonx  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2013 13:01:16(UTC)
xyonx

amazing plugins, thanx u much for updates.

i just have a suggestion based my experienced in engineering works:
input units are better fixed, not display as selection box in EXE files, because every engineer using consistent units in entire calculation (SI, MKS, US) if required this is an easy step to re-create sheet using different units (US version or SI version)

]

in printing feature is need ability to auto hidden branching (insert->area +) based on conditional case, since sheet may contains many calculation procedure.

Offline IVR  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2013 15:28:30(UTC)
IVR

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am not from civil engng, however, it seams to be something incorrect in the TheFoundation.exe:
  1. Units for Force parallel to axis cannot be m or mm, rather Newtons
  2. Similarly, units for moment of inertia are (length)^4 (if the second moment is considered)
IVR attached the following image(s):
Clipboard01.png
Offline kilele  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2013 20:19:47(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: xyonx Go to Quoted Post

i just have a suggestion based my experienced in engineering works:
input units are better fixed, not display as selection box in EXE files, because every engineer using consistent units in entire calculation (SI, MKS, US) if required this is an easy step to re-create sheet using different units (US version or SI version)

What about a unit configuration tool for SMath Viewer ?
The author of a smath sheet viewer could change the whole set of units as at present, and then save that configuration as different presets (US, SI..or any name he wants to call them)
There would be an option to allow users to switch only between these presets (password required to unblock this units view)

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2013 19:53:22(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Thank you, IVR.

Example applications updated (generated using SMath Studio 0.96.4884).

• Multi-languages feature enabled;
  • Executables size reduced;
  • TheFoundation application corrected.

Regards.

Edited by user 16 May 2013 19:56:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2013 17:46:05(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
The EmbeddedPlate might need a similar correction. Moment of inertia is of dimension length^4 (area times squared distance). Btw, how can I allow the user to switch between e.g. mm^4, cm^4 or inch^4?
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline IVR  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2013 19:26:03(UTC)
IVR

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have also noted the problem with units changing in moment of inertia. It is, however, mostly academic problem. In practice, engineers are forced to use commonly accepted set of units. For example, stress in structures in SI-based countries is always in MPa.
Offline Bruno  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2016 16:39:47(UTC)
Bruno

Brazil

First of all, congratulations for the exccelent work involving SMath Viewer. In my opinion, it is one of the most useful plugins I've found in SMath so far. I hope it still continue to be improved.

I don't know if I am the only one facing this problem, but everytime I create a new .exe file my antivirus (Kaspersky) detects it as a Trojan and delete it.

I've searched about it on the internet but the only thing I found was this link which suggests that it is recognized as a virus because "this file is not digitally signed".

I hope someone can help me out with this, it's a great plugin and it's a shame for it to be detected as a virus. I hope that there is a way to solve this.

Regards
Offline Jean Giraud  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2016 18:20:40(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Bruno,

Can you attach an image of what is Viewer so useful for you.
To me, it's the Maple wrapper that makes Smath a real math tool.

I have no more AV: McAfee does not support XP anymore.
My Smath works faster and no more "Unknown error" panel.
Can you disable Kapersky while in Smath session ?

Jean
Offline ElSid  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2016 15:33:14(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Your AV settings are too aggressive (probably the default). Why not set up an SMath folder where you create these EXE files and tell the AV to take exemption to files in this folder. It's a work-around.
Offline 007.000  
#14 Posted : 08 June 2018 09:50:08(UTC)

Man
United States

I am a student in California and was looking into the SMath viewer commercial version but I couldn't find the purchase link anywhere even after scouring the forum for hours. I eventually hit on trying to save an executable and seeing what the options where and found the prompt stating "not ready for sale yet"...

What I'm saying is that it took a good bit of research and fumbling for me personally to find out that it was not for sale. Also, I don't know how to consolidate the MIT license SMath Viewer is issued with and the non-commercial warning upon launching it.

I'm appreciating the product so far and hope to get better at it this Summer.

Edited by user 08 June 2018 09:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#15 Posted : 13 June 2018 23:21:22(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: 007.000 Go to Quoted Post
I am a student in California and was looking into the SMath viewer commercial version

Hello, please use the following url: https://smath.info/viewer/help.aspx

Best regards and thank you for interest to the project!
Offline Armand1  
#16 Posted : 23 January 2019 13:47:35(UTC)
Armand1

Poland

Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post

Hello!
For some time, you can not generate exe files with the Activation code. In the Free version everything works fine. When you switch to Full version and give Activation code, the program executes the exe.tmp file after which it deletes it and re-opens the Save As window. Earlier, I generated exe files and everything worked fine. Sad
Offline Davide Carpi  
#17 Posted : 23 January 2019 15:22:16(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Armand1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post

Hello!
For some time, you can not generate exe files with the Activation code. In the Free version everything works fine. When you switch to Full version and give Activation code, the program executes the exe.tmp file after which it deletes it and re-opens the Save As window. Earlier, I generated exe files and everything worked fine. Sad

Yes it is a known bug
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#18 Posted : 23 January 2019 23:04:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hello.

Unfortunately it is Windows 10 which does not allow SMath Studio to save *.exe files (partially generated on server side).
That is why *.exe.tmp was created successfully, but it disappears on renaming from *.exe.tmp to *.exe. Operating system (Windows 10 in my case) detects this and removes final file completely.

Functionality should still work OK on other OSs.

For now I do not know what to do with this behavior of the OS.

Best regards.
Offline G-Tate  
#19 Posted : 12 June 2019 17:33:36(UTC)
G-Tate

Germany

Hello there,

it seems that there is no possibility to use changeable vectors or matrices instead of single variables.
It is only possible to put vectors and matrices into a table and show the values in SMath Viewer without the possibility to change them.

Bild1.png

Is there any possibility to use changeable vectors?

Best regards.
Offline G-Tate  
#20 Posted : 12 June 2019 18:02:58(UTC)
G-Tate

Germany

I found a way.
But it takes time depending on how many vectors you use.
I defined the single element indexes and gave them a name.

34.png

Best regards.

Edited by user 19 June 2019 15:21:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified