Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jason McCool  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2022 01:40:20(UTC)
Jason McCool

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm having a problem now when I try to copy and paste formulas between worksheets where SMath Solver pastes a picture of the formula into the new worksheet instead of the formula itself. It's intermittent as I can paste a picture of the formula, and then after a few more tries, correctly paste the formula itself. Anyone else having that problem? This slows down creation of new calcs tremendously if I can't copy and paste sections of formulas and common text from other worksheets already completed (like reinventing the wheel each time...). Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Jason
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jason McCool  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2022 03:16:10(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

Now, it's happening even in the same worksheet. See screenshot below demonstrating what it's doing. The preliminary calc file is also attached this time, since it's happening in the same file, which there was no point attaching earlier since it was happening intermittently between files. Bar Grating Calc.sm (267kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
SMath Copy and Paste Error 2022-02-23.jpg
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
Offline Davide Carpi  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2022 12:47:26(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Hello Jason,

are you doing the copy paste of the region object or by selecting the text?
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 24/02/2022(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2022 15:58:46(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

THIS IS A BUG/ISSUE DISCUSSION, please STAY ON TOPIC

post/replies by other users should be limited to:
  • I cannot reproduce in my setup/environment...
  • I've experienced it in my setup/environment (occasionally, often, in a reproducible way....)
  • other: suggestions on how to reproduce or fix it, requests for clarifications...

setup/environment (program version and localization settings, OS and localization settings, ...): might affect or not the issue, knowing them in the first case might help, in the latter doesn't hurts.
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 24/02/2022(UTC),  on 24/02/2022(UTC)
Offline Jason McCool  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2022 16:11:30(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

I'm selecting the region(s). Normally, if I write a bunch of formulas for the a-axis properties of a structural member, for instance, I'll select all those formulas and copy them down and change all the subscripts from "x" to "y" or "z" or whatever is appropriate for the next set of formulas in some calcs. This makes generating calcs much faster, and is the behavior I've observed in SMath for the last several years I've been using it. Now, it is still doing that sometimes and not other times. It hasn't been consistently one way or the other, so I don't think it's intended (I hope the pasting as a picture isn't an intended "feature"!). I think the inconsistent behavior would be considered a bug either way. This is with build 7921.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
Offline Jason McCool  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2022 16:40:43(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

As usual, Jean, I have no idea what your response even means or how it relates to this thread....
Has anyone else seen the behavior I reported with the math and text regions copying as regions sometimes and sometimes as images? Does anyone else have a workaround for getting it to consistently copy and paste as regions?

Thanks,
Jason
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
thanks 2 users thanked Jason McCool for this useful post.
on 24/02/2022(UTC),  on 24/02/2022(UTC)
Offline Razonar  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2022 17:25:29(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Was thanked: 815 time(s) in 516 post(s)
I never saw that behavior. The only SMath option that could be related to the problem, and that I know of, is the one shown in the image.

img.jpg

Perhaps changing some of those options will solve the problem.

Yes I have had problems sometimes with certain programs that interact with the windows clipboard. Even Microsoft Office has options to keep a history of the clipboard, and there are other programs with similar or more advanced features.

Best regards.
Alvaro.
Offline PompelmoTell  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2022 17:31:49(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Jason,
Have you checked if you have programs in operation that interfere with the Windows clipboard? I had interference of this type with other programs (not with smath). In the positive case, try deactivating them
sergio
Offline Jason McCool  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2022 18:11:29(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

Sergio, Alvaro - thanks, I'll try checking on a clipboard source of the problem. I do have some screenshot apps running on both my office computer and my home computer that I'm using to connect to the office computer for working from home this week. Maybe that is causing the problem, as they save screenshots to the Windows clipboard and particularly since I've had this version of SMath installed for a while and haven't had this happen before when working in SMath only at the office or only at home (i.e. not remotely connected to the office computer). That might explain why it was intermittent yesterday.

Alvaro: what is that "Automatic replacement" option that you showed on the text region context menu? I didn't even know that was there, and when I search for it, I just see it listed as an item in the recent version history, but no explanation of what it does.

Thank you much.
Jason
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
Offline Razonar  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2022 19:20:47(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Was thanked: 815 time(s) in 516 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason McCool Go to Quoted Post

Alvaro: what is that "Automatic replacement" option that you showed on the text region context menu? I didn't even know that was there, and when I search for it, I just see it listed as an item in the recent version history, but no explanation of what it does. ...

Hi. Yes, it is a new feature. Disabling it prevents clipboard content from being pasted into a text region like math. I have it disabled, but I think the default option is to have it enabled.

I have no idea if those options could be the cause of your problem, but hey, in the end they are options about the behavior of the clipboard in SMath.

Here is a recent example of a math area within a text:

https://en.smath.com/for...0_include.aspx#post75710

and here's an example of a file in which I tried to include math regions embeded in text regions, but other users couldn't open it:

https://en.smath.com/for...revisited.aspx#post69414

Best regards.
Alvaro.
Offline fedeghi  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2022 11:13:11(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
He is just trolling us by wasting our time, hijacking topics and spamming the "search" results with useless posts.
At this point, only new forum users would care about his nonsense and try to interact.
Nevertheless this has gone too far, so I simply stopped reading what he writes: 99% is useless twisted sentences, out of topic replies or self-promoting his unrelated files (that no one cares about).
thanks 3 users thanked fedeghi for this useful post.
on 25/02/2022(UTC),  on 25/02/2022(UTC),  on 28/02/2022(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2022 22:07:00(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

I do have some screenshot apps running on both my office computer and my home computer that I'm using to connect to the office computer for working from home this week. Maybe that is causing the problem, as they save screenshots to the Windows clipboard and particularly since I've had this version of SMath installed for a while and haven't had this happen before when working in SMath only at the office or only at home (i.e. not remotely connected to the office computer). That might explain why it was intermittent yesterday

This is definetly something that could cause the issue. SMath sends to the clipboard several data formats and if an external application has to manage the clipboard to transfer data from a client to another, some kind of common data format might be prioritized while the custom ones might be even completely excluded (just as principle, but I have experienced clipboard issues in remote working on other programs too).

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
For images, I rarely use Print Screen,
Rather WinGrab for saving *.PNG ... few more advanced facilities.
Once WinGrab image is captured/cropped ... copy paste in Smath.

Jean, you are once again off-topic, it was clearly described by Jason as a copy-paste issue where a image is returned when a math region is expected, no one has mentioned screenshots.

Also, as basic netiquette you don't need to highlight words in other people threads, unless you are a moderator or you have something very important to show in a very crowded thread, just like you won't yell randomly some words speaking with other people in a room.

99% of reports in this forum are about noise/OT discussions triggered by your messages, and you was already warned and temporary-banned. Please follow the hints and don't join a thread unless you have something really valuable to say.
thanks 3 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 25/02/2022(UTC),  on 26/02/2022(UTC),  on 28/02/2022(UTC)
Offline Jason McCool  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2022 17:58:22(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
I do have some screenshot apps running on both my office computer and my home computer that I'm using to connect to the office computer for working from home this week. Maybe that is causing the problem, as they save screenshots to the Windows clipboard and particularly since I've had this version of SMath installed for a while and haven't had this happen before when working in SMath only at the office or only at home (i.e. not remotely connected to the office computer). That might explain why it was intermittent yesterday

This is definetly something that could cause the issue. SMath sends to the clipboard several data formats and if an external application has to manage the clipboard to transfer data from a client to another, some kind of common data format might be prioritized while the custom ones might be even completely excluded (just as principle, but I have experienced clipboard issues in remote working on other programs too).

Thanks, Davide. I used SMath several more times the last few days on my home computer without being remotely connected to my office computer and haven't had the copy-paste problem since then, so I think you're right and it's tied to order of priority for overlapping programs using the clipboard. So, at this point, I'd say it's no actual bug with SMath and is just clipboard interference between programs. Good
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
thanks 1 user thanked Jason McCool for this useful post.
on 28/02/2022(UTC)