Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyontheweb  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2021 19:48:43(UTC)
johnnyontheweb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all,
I have a lot of old .xmcd files to convert to .sm, but I encounter problems when opening almost all of them, unless I save them in XMCD 12 or 13 and I remove images.
I spent some time to debug the plugin, and I found this:

- images are not always represented as string in base64

- only if format XMCD > 13: there's hell with indeces in function MergeManyArrayPostfix in OpenSaveXMCD.cs - often, index for 'value' array is less than 0.

I have some questions about this plugin:
- is advised version of XMCD 12 or 13?
- if there's limitation on format, can not supported format be blocked?

thanks in advance for such info

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2021 14:11:08(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Hello johnnyontheweb,

That plugin is open to improvements, the main problem is that you should be familiar with both programs to do something.

In general, if there are multiple data types for the same objects would be better to detect the type, then develop alternative functions to read the data, otherwise read a placeholder, nothing, or throw an error. I wouldn't block the entire format just because the indices, better to have something to start from than nothing.

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline johnnyontheweb  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2021 16:08:07(UTC)
johnnyontheweb

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't block the entire format just because the indices, better to have something to start from than nothing

I completely agree on that, the point is nothing except text regions is read in most cases.
A message warning the user to give XMCD <= 13 as input would definitely save a lot of time in trials.

Consider, as a sample, the 2 files attached (they are the same file, with 2 different XMCD formats):

inertias.xmcd (77kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
inertias13.xmcd (61kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2021 11:58:38(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Originally Posted by: johnnyontheweb Go to Quoted Post
Consider, as a sample, the 2 files attached (they are the same file, with 2 different XMCD formats):

inertias.xmcd (77kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
inertias13.xmcd (61kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

Thank you very much, this might help a lot! I'll try to improve the plugin as soon as I can.

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline johnnyontheweb  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2021 12:08:49(UTC)
johnnyontheweb

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post

Thank you very much, this might help a lot! I'll try to improve the plugin as soon as I can.

You're welcome - please keep in mind that inertias is in format XMCD>13, the other in XMCD = 13.
And please do not comment calculations on principal axes because they're not always right Biggrin
Offline johnnyontheweb  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2022 20:55:48(UTC)
johnnyontheweb

I'm looking forward to see if there's improvements for XMCD plugin, I really need it.

I just want to tell that I noticed another problem in this plugin: if the original .xmcd file has repeted definitions (es. a:=1 more than once), the plugin removes all the occurrences and in the resulting file the variable is lost (no "a" defined at all).