Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2021 00:27:00(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio - SMath
Created by SMath LLC in the scope of SMath project. Published by smath.

SMath Studio

SMath Studio box

Tiny, but powerful mathematical program with WYSIWYG editor and complete units of measurements support.

It provides numerous computing features and rich user interface translated into about 40 different languages. Application also contains integrated mathematical reference book.

Free for personal usage! Plans for Organizations are available!

Application can be easily extended based on your needs. Built-in Extensions Manager tool allows to get access to hundreds official and third-party resources of the following types: usage examples, plug-ins, SMath Viewer based applications, snippets, interface translations, interactive books, handbooks and tutorials.

Thank you Andrey Ivashov for developing this wonderful software, as well as all the people who contribute with solutions day after day. As a university professor, I must say that the use of SMath Studio has contributed greatly to improve the way of transmitting and sharing knowledge. more...

by Eduardo Palma Zambrano

Taking everything into consideration, we can state that SMath Studio is a powerful application that lets you create and calculate even complex expressions, with options to plot graphs and solve matrices. The workspace lets anyone quickly accommodate regardless of experience, while the auto-complete feature and rich library of content make sure you learn to love math. more...

by Mircea Dragomir

Without a doubt it is one of the best tools for engineering, a good substitute for Mathcad more...

by Marcel F. Chevalier S.

thanks 7 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 09/09/2021(UTC),  on 09/09/2021(UTC),  on 09/09/2021(UTC),  on 23/09/2021(UTC),  on 01/03/2022(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2021 00:54:50(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Finally, SMath Studio splitted to two different applications: SMath Solver and SMath Writer.
writer_2.jpg

writer_4.jpg

SMath Solver
This is a new name to what was previously called SMath Studio. This application allows user to be focused on calculations.

writer_3.jpg

SMath Writer
Created for work with rich text which includes math. Has Ribbon menu built-in and interface tuned for best experience in documentation and text formatting.

writer_1.jpg

SMath Studio
This is a name which gathers Solver and Writer in a single package.

Both applications supports their own file formats: Solver - *.sm, Writer - *.smw. If you have created Documents in SMath Studio using previous program versions please just change an extension manually.

writer_5.jpg

This beta release of SMath Studio package contains Solver/Writer inside.

Please note: Solver has no any significant changes, so one can continue using it in production, but Writer is an alpha version of what I've started to work on. Writer requires more time from me to be polished to have all the same features as currently available in Solver.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
thanks 8 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 08/09/2021(UTC),  on 09/09/2021(UTC),  on 09/09/2021(UTC),  on 23/09/2021(UTC)
Offline overlord  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2021 18:56:39(UTC)
overlord

Groups: Registered
Turkey

Was thanked: 506 time(s) in 337 post(s)
I guess Document Mode is not working on Linux, yet.
At least I couldn't make it run, it even kills the parent terminal.
I didn't encounter any problem with Solver though.

Regards

Edited by user 08 September 2021 20:39:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked overlord for this useful post.
on 08/09/2021(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2021 23:47:32(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: overlord Go to Quoted Post
I guess Document Mode is not working on Linux, yet.
At least I couldn't make it run, it even kills the parent terminal.

Thank you for this info! I will check Writer on Linux.

Best regards.
Offline Yibbou  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2021 15:37:21(UTC)
Yibbou

Senegal

Thank you Andrei for this work.
SMath Writer is a great idea. It can be used to create high quality scientific documents like LateX and other scientific word processors like TeXmacs, Scientific Workplace, LyX and MathCha.
To achieve this goal, consideration should be given to adding environments or things like that that meet scientific typography standards such as:
- title, author, summary, section, sub-section, sub-sub-section environments
- online equations
- equations with automatic numbering
- theorem, lemma, axiom, proof, corollary, remark environments
- exercise, problem, question, solution, answer environments
and so on...
Offline joaobr  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2021 21:32:38(UTC)
joaobr

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Andrey, plugins EXCEL I/O and Clipboard Region don't seem to work after this update.
Offline ElSid  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2021 18:19:17(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Andrey,
Can you explain the separation of the program or a link if you already did (I could not find it). I have not been as active on the form lately. Why "Writer" as a separate program? I know you were playing with something similar in the plugins. Curiosity more than everything. I seem to have missed a lot of NEW features along the way ...
Offline overlord  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2021 00:55:43(UTC)
overlord

Turkey

Since there is SMath Writer now, document mode is deprecated.
If there is no practical benefit of this option, it can be removed.
This suggestion is just for cosmetic purpose by the way.
No harm shall be done if it stays.

Regards

document.png
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2021 09:10:01(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: overlord Go to Quoted Post
Since there is SMath Writer now, document mode is deprecated.
If there is no practical benefit of this option, it can be removed.
This suggestion is just for cosmetic purpose by the way.
No harm shall be done if it stays.

I decided to leave this checkbox as is for now because there is theoretical possibility to use different text-region plug-ins as a base of the text rendering engine. Currently we have updated TextRegion which is designed to work in Document Mode, but we also have Writer plug-in developed by Davide which can be updated to support document mode as well.
This means that if Writer plug-in will be ready to be used as a base text rendering engine this checkbox will give us a possibility to change text engines for SMath Writer.

Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2021 09:44:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: ElSid Go to Quoted Post
Can you explain the separation of the program or a link if you already did (I could not find it). I have not been as active on the form lately. Why "Writer" as a separate program? I know you were playing with something similar in the plugins. Curiosity more than everything. I seem to have missed a lot of NEW features along the way ...

Hello.

An actual reason of this separation can be found here: https://en.smath.com/for...20002_Document-mode.aspx

In short words:

Historically SMath Studio is used to perform calculations and then export results (copy/paste, as images or as pdf) to include them in MS Word document or other similar applications. Because: no built-in text formatting (hard to express), all regions are positioned absolutely (hard to compose & update), interface is too different from the popular text processors (stopper for beginners). Now imagine something like MS Word with full-featured embedded math calculation like in SMath Studio. This is why we need SMath Writer.

But I do not want those who like to work with old-style SMath worksheets to fill pain because of migration to the new Document mode. That is why we have SMath Solver.

Personally I think that SMath Writer has a very interesting future when it will be ready as a full-functional text processor with full-featured calculation capabilities.

Important note: 99% of the code is shared between Solver and Writer which means that changes to the Solver will improve Writer and vice versa. So Solver will never be deprecated - we just have two different interfaces now.

Best regards.
thanks 4 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 22/09/2021(UTC),  on 22/09/2021(UTC),  on 22/09/2021(UTC),  on 23/09/2021(UTC)
Offline loha  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2021 12:32:04(UTC)
loha

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Impressive!
That is software with ethics. Clap Clap Clap
Offline RamonTavarez  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2021 22:11:06(UTC)
RamonTavarez

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi.
Congratulations for this great job!Clapping
Some questions:
1.- Can I install the beta version, the one with solver + writer, into a different directory?
2.- Will this installation affect the actual version in use?
Offline wb.c  
#13 Posted : 20 October 2021 18:03:31(UTC)
wb.c

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
The save/load feature in Smath Viewer doesn't seem to work very well. Seems like certain values are not saved correctly and some values are saved, but when a file is loaded, the viewer does not update the values in their corresponding input windows.
Offline gurro  
#14 Posted : 23 October 2021 06:40:25(UTC)
gurro

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm getting some weird results with trigonometric functions. For example:

sin(110'deg) = 0.5547, it should be 0.9396
cos(110'deg) = 0.8381, it should be -0.3420
tan(110'deg) = 1.5366, it should be -2.7475

Could you check what's wrong with those trigonometric functions?

UPDATE: It seems to be a delay in the autocalculation feature. After I pressed "recalculate" several times, the values of those trigonometric functions were updated correctly. Therefore, please ignore this message. Good

I am writing a book on Analytic Geometry with SMath Studio, when I came across the beta version in which SMath is split into Solve and Write and loaded it. Then, I detected this error. Of course, having been converted to SMath Solve, my Analytic Geometry files wouldn't open in SMath Studio. And, so, I got worried that Solve had a fatal flaw with trigonometric functions. But it seems to be a bug with recalculating.

Thanks again, Andrey, for that fabulous program.

Gilberto Urroz

Edited by user 23 October 2021 20:35:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline overlord  
#15 Posted : 23 October 2021 07:06:41(UTC)
overlord

Turkey

Originally Posted by: gurro Go to Quoted Post
I'm getting some weird results with trigonometric functions. For example:

sin(110'deg) = 0.5547, it should be 0.9396
cos(110'deg) = 0.8381, it should be -0.3420
tan(110'deg) = 1.5366, it should be -2.7475

Could you check what's wrong with those trigonometric functions?

Could you please check your syntax again?
Nothing is wrong when I wrote those functions.

Regards

2021-10-23_07-05.png
thanks 1 user thanked overlord for this useful post.
on 23/10/2021(UTC)
Offline Alex M.  
#16 Posted : 28 October 2021 16:35:17(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post

Historically SMath Studio is used to perform calculations and then export results (copy/paste, as images or as pdf) to include them in MS Word document or other similar applications. Because: no built-in text formatting (hard to express), all regions are positioned absolutely (hard to compose & update), interface is too different from the popular text processors (stopper for beginners). Now imagine something like MS Word with full-featured embedded math calculation like in SMath Studio. This is why we need SMath Writer.

But I do not want those who like to work with old-style SMath worksheets to fill pain because of migration to the new Document mode. That is why we have SMath Solver.

Personally I think that SMath Writer has a very interesting future when it will be ready as a full-functional text processor with full-featured calculation capabilities.

Important note: 99% of the code is shared between Solver and Writer which means that changes to the Solver will improve Writer and vice versa. So Solver will never be deprecated - we just have two different interfaces now.

Best regards.

Hello Andrey,

Can i do absolutely everything in SmathWriter what I can do in Smath Solver?

My work flow relies heavily on:

Equations
Image Region
EXCEL IO
Line Programming

In a nutshell its math with a sprinkle of text :-)

Thank you!
Offline CBG  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2021 00:01:21(UTC)
CBG

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Why can't Smath Writer import files from Smath Solver,
and can it import files from other formats?

Best Regards

Carlos
thanks 1 user thanked CBG for this useful post.
on 24/05/2022(UTC)