Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2021 02:14:48(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio - SMath
Created by SMath LLC in the scope of SMath project. Published by smath.

SMath Studio

SMath Studio box

Tiny, but powerful mathematical program with WYSIWYG editor and complete units of measurements support.

It provides numerous computing features and rich user interface translated into about 40 different languages. Application also contains integrated mathematical reference book.

Free for personal usage! Plans for Organizations are available!

Application can be easily extended based on your needs. Built-in Extensions Manager tool allows to get access to hundreds official and third-party resources of the following types: usage examples, plug-ins, SMath Viewer based applications, snippets, interface translations, interactive books, handbooks and tutorials.

Amazing, well-done, useful tool. A small donation was sent your way. This small comment of praise is a follow-up. more...

by Jason H

Excellent tool... more...

by Munawar Jakhro

Excellent tool for electric engineering. Must have portable software on your USB key. Symbolic calculations is a great value for electronics. more...

by Igor Skarine

thanks 5 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 18/01/2021(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2021 03:58:21(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

thanks 4 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC),  on 14/01/2021(UTC)
Offline ElSid  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2021 18:46:04(UTC)
ElSid

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
This is AWESOME! I'll play with it this weekend. I may convert several small sheets just to see. The documentation should be much improved and cleaner!
With all of the text formatting options, any plans on
  • Setting up "Styles" (e.g. Header 1, 2) This would tie into a table of context in the future Good or
  • making this the default setting (e.g. integrating writer region as part of the install). You could keep it as a plugin to update it separately

I believe this is how IRFanview does it ... they ship with a few plugins as part of the install that can be updated independently.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2021 20:41:20(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: ElSid Go to Quoted Post
Setting up "Styles" (e.g. Header 1, 2) This would tie into a table of context in the future Good

Yes, I have plans to make it possible to specify a document structure to generate TOC. Just need to finish current work to provide all the basic operations.

Originally Posted by: ElSid Go to Quoted Post
making this the default setting (e.g. integrating writer region as part of the install). You could keep it as a plugin to update it separately

What you see is not a Writer Region, this is updated Text Region, so it is already a part of the installation package. As I know Davide already working to update Writer Region, so it will be possible to choose what editor to use for the Document mode. UI to choose the editor is already available. Text Region allows me to test all the functionality fast and easy, but Writer Region I think will have more capacities.
Regarding default setting... I think it will be two different programs (in a single package): SMath Studio for standard worksheets and SMath Writer (?) for these new Documents. UI will be different (Ribbon, WPF), another files format, etc. It will be easier to make a choice for user because of different modes will be distinguished enough.

At least these is a plan.

Best regards.
Offline Jason McCool  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2021 21:10:37(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is there any way to get it to stop automatically making my text into equations in text regions? Or a way to easily change it back when it does that? In trying to reference gridlines from my drawings in my SMath calcs, it keeps turning the typical date format with slashes (i.e. 01/01/2021) into fractions, which is definitely not what I want! Trying to reference a particular drawing sheet like "S1-05" gets turned into a statement of subtraction. And then the only way to get rid of the equation section of the text region is highlight it and delete and retype that portion with spaces and go back and delete the spaces afterward. It looks like the Writer region doesn't do that, but these are long calcs that I reuse and they are filled with text regions that are now tedious to edit with this version unless there's some shortcut or setting that can be changed. The new text-editing functionality looks useful, but it's maybe a bit overzealous in interpreting user intent right now?
Unsure
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2021 22:31:01(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: Jason McCool Go to Quoted Post
Unsure

Currently no, but I'm working on it.

You are using beta version of the program which has many different issues. Some functionality is missing and some - added for testing purposes only.
Beta versions created for those who wants to see what's new will be available in the next stable version.
Answering to your question:
- it will be possible to disable auto replacement feature;
- it will be easy to cancel replacement if it is not what user wants;
- auto replacement will become smarter from version to version.

So if possible I would recommend you to use stable versions - it will minimize situations when something not expected happens.

Best regards.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 15/01/2021(UTC)
Offline Jason McCool  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2021 23:23:28(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

OK, that sounds good. Good I am aware of it being a beta version, but I had apparently saved my latest copy of my calc in a beta version since November's stable release (oops), so I thought I would go ahead and install this one and see how things had come along since this was several steps up on build number. I do like the text-editing functionality since I used to have to try to arrange my text with big spaces and then overlap text and math regions to have an "inline formula", but the formatting always looked a little off, so this will be a useful feature. And I try to let developers know about anything I find in a beta release that hampers how I use the program in case that's an issue for other users. I've talked to other developers that introduce a new feature in beta, and it either never gets seen by the appropriate users who would be affected negatively, or they just don't give any feedback about it, and then the developer gets all kinds of negative feedback when the new feature makes it into a production release and all the regular users have their workflow changed unexpectedly. So I try to comment where I can. Hopefully it didn't come across as complaining; my comment was more to let you know in case the things I tend to write in text regions are not like what you were thinking of when programming the responsiveness to creating formulas "on the fly" in there. Good
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
thanks 1 user thanked Jason McCool for this useful post.
on 16/01/2021(UTC)
Offline Jason McCool  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2021 01:58:27(UTC)
Jason McCool

Man
United States

It also seems to be replacing symbols with codes like below, where it replaced "&" with "&amp".

2021-01-19 SMath Text Replacement.png

Thanks!
Jason
Jason McCool
Robbins Engineering
Little Rock, AR, USA
thanks 1 user thanked Jason McCool for this useful post.
on 20/01/2021(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2021 02:30:12(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: Jason McCool Go to Quoted Post
It also seems to be replacing symbols with codes like below, where it replaced "&" with "&amp".

Jason, thank you very much! Will fix it asap.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 20/01/2021(UTC)