Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2020 01:30:31(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Groups: Registered
Man
Paraguay

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hello,

I am sharing with you these functions I have created today:

1. randi() (as in Octave)
2. echelon() echelon form of a given matrix
3. rref() row reduced echelon form of a given matrix

I know that this last function is not available in Maxima, therefore, with Maxima plugin we can use echelon() but not rref().

It would be great if you can test the function and improve the calculation time.

Regards,

Alvaro

SMath Studio:

SMath Studio.png

GNU Octave:

Octave.png

File:

RREF.sm (23kb) downloaded 100 time(s).

Edited by user 21 May 2020 04:55:31(UTC)  | Reason: Improved calculation time with eval(stack())

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2020 04:07:12(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alvaro Gavilá Go to Quoted Post
It would be great if you could test the function ...

It fails an ordinary m*n matrix.

RREF fails.sm (26kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2020 04:23:43(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Why?

not fail.png

By the way, I improved calculation time with some more eval() when doing stack(). Edited in post.
thanks 1 user thanked Alvaro Gavilán for this useful post.
on 21/05/2020(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2020 13:47:26(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Please, attach the Smath document working code.
The bug may be wrt your SS 7030 my SS 6179 ?
Offline Razonar  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2020 12:02:11(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Was thanked: 815 time(s) in 516 post(s)
Hola Alvaro.

Nice routines. Just some few notes:

- You forget to divide by the next nonzero column element when the diagonal element M[k,k] = 0. In other words: you get different results than other software for singular matrices.
- The use of i as counter make the routine useless for complexes.
- Instead of row(M,k)[j] (in SMath string is el(row(M,k),j) ) you can use M[k,j] (this is el(M,k,j) in SMath).
- eval make the routine faster, specially for the stack function. But it introduce more roundoff errors. You can see that in an example where rref make zero any element outside the left identity matrix.
- Also, eval make unreadable the symbolic evaluation, because some functions are not evaluated for symbolics, like stack.
- With some effort, you can write the routine using range variables as matrices and vectors subscripts, in a similar (but not identical) way in matlab.

Best regards.
Alvaro.
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2020 13:45:57(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Many thanks Alvaro,

Here I attach as image, the first problem you pointed out.

RREF different.png

When I changed a single diagonal value to zero, wrong results appeared. Thank you again.

Regards,

Alvaro

(as suggested in another post, now I use that maple(rref()) function. Thanks!)

Edited by user 22 May 2020 13:48:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2020 15:01:25(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

The brute force example reproduces both: Mathcad 11/Maple Smath.
Considering an m x n real matrix. Your finished code will be
appreciated so to enrich native Smath.
As it looks, rref is essentially built around 3 pieces of sub codes.
Cheers ... Jean

Maths rref.sm (32kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2020 15:28:11(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Thank you Jean. Yes, esentially I need "echelon" function to make "rref" (although echelon is already built in Maple or Maxima plugin).
But now I see where my function ech() is failing, as Alvaro indicates, the roundoff errors have been trapped... Acute

(I manually regulate the "gen" range to see the echelon process)

roundoff.png
thanks 1 user thanked Alvaro Gavilán for this useful post.
on 22/05/2020(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2020 23:19:14(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
The regular way to use Maxima functions is via the Maxima() function. In your case MaximaDefine() defines a variable temp in the curent maxima session. If you just want to display or use the value in the current SMath sheet, then Maxima() is sufficient and thanks to Davide's custom glyph looks better.

2020-05-22 22_02_31-SMath Studio - [RREF.sm_].png
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2020 23:47:24(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Wow, thanks Martin! I didn't know about that, I was wondering about the purpose of the temp variable.. and nice glyph! I recently discovered Maxima and started to learn using the cmd (with your book and the extensive Maxima documentation). How powerful CAS it is.
Offline mkraska  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2020 00:44:45(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
There is a lot to find about Maxima in the interactive handbook. It is sort of out of maintenances. Some examples would need adjustment to recent changes in how SMath evaluates expressions but you still get the idea.

In the interactive handbook, goto Plugins> Maxima. This leads you to an overview with links to all related functions. The interactive handbook is bilingual german/english throughout. You see the version based on your gui language setting in SMath Studio.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2020 06:41:23(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Thank you Martin, I didn't know about that interactive book, recently read quickly and found very useful the Maxima tester, tomorrow I will take a deeper look, as I am preparing some introductory class to SMath Studio for students learning linear algebra (it's on Sunday)..they already use Matlab, but I think that the "linearalgebra" collection of functions is very useful.
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#13 Posted : 23 May 2020 07:10:29(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

By the way, I have a new version of the rref() function, with pros/cons.

I prepared "rounds" to test and compare the rref() from Maple, and the created rref(). Rounds -5 to 0 are easy ones, rounds 1 to 9 are normal matrices, and round 10...the final and most exigent, creates a matrix with random size and random numbers. Now I finally can tell that all rounds resulted in rref_AGR=rref_MAPLE...I have tested round 10 recalculating randomness (F9), and got equivalence 50 times in a row (matrix with zeros and ones, with size up to 25x25...fast calculation).
There is an interesting factor that rref_AGR is computed a few milliseconds faster than rref_MAPLE in most cases (in small matrices)
My big problem is calculation time, as I needed to delete eval() to generate exact zeros.
This problem appears with a matrix greater than 10x10 and numbers within a range with absolute values above 9 or 10.

I would really appreciate that you can test the function, especially in round 10.

Regards,

Alvaro

RREF.sm (162kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

new rref().png
Offline Razonar  
#14 Posted : 23 May 2020 08:32:37(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

My big problem is calculation time, as I needed to delete eval() to generate exact zeros.

Hi. Actually, even it's true that eval introduce some roundoff errors, SMath in numerics it's capable by itself to introduce a lot of others. Try with coefficients like sqrt(2) or any transcendental function.

I try to avoid eval for symbolics, not just for those roundoff errors.

A way where you can use eval and minimize the number of near zero values is defining your own SameQ( a,b ) instead to try to eval only a=b, with something like abs( a-b )<10e-12. In the attached I use this way but for compare symbolic values with zero, and assume that if isn't the string "0", the maybe it is not zero.

Notice that because SameQ is defined after the GaussElim function, you can change it, and reuse the same code.

This is my simplified routine for the echelon form, but consistent with the old linalg maple package, which is implemented as gausselim. Even that, I don't get the same result for some symbolics situations, where the maple evalb maybe works different from my SameQ function.

GaussElim.sm (26kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
GaussElim.pdf (92kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Best regards.
Alvaro.
thanks 1 user thanked Razonar for this useful post.
on 23/05/2020(UTC)
Offline uni  
#15 Posted : 23 May 2020 09:00:11(UTC)
uni

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1274 time(s) in 745 post(s)

There is an interesting factor that rref_AGR is computed a few milliseconds faster than rref_MAPLE in most cases (in small matrices)

To evaluate each expression a separate call to the interpreter is launched. I can speed up the function if I'll work with only one instance of the interpreter. Therefore, time is spent not only on calculations, but also on auxiliary actions associated with file I / O and the launch of the process.
Russia ☭ forever
Viacheslav N. Mezentsev
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#16 Posted : 23 May 2020 14:48:00(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Quote:
This is my simplified routine for the echelon form

Thanks Alvaro, really, your routine reveals to me what I was misunderstanding when you told me to use variable ranges...it is practically working like the Octave M(:,1) or M(2,: ) to call an entire first column or second row of a matrix. I will try to shorten my routine now. Thanks again!

Quote:
Therefore, time is spent not only on calculations, but also on auxiliary actions associated with file I / O and the launch of the process.

Thanks uni! It was a false feeling that my routine is faster..haha, it only happens with very small matrices. Maple(rref() does its job when it comes to larger matrices. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to improve calculation time, that time not spent on calculations is about 80 ms..practically nothing. Wonderful plugin, and many thanks to you!
Offline Alvaro Gavilán  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2020 00:04:16(UTC)
Alvaro Gavilán

Man
Paraguay

Again thank you very much Alvaro! I followed your suggestion, and learned about improving calculation in SMath Studio. I changed my code to your style, with variable ranges, and it is really awesome that I did not need the eval() function, neither the roundtozero() function to interpret as zero, to stay competitive with Maple.

As you can see, in my functions I use the stack() function only once, and deleted the other stack(), augment(), matrix() functions that I think were slowing symbolic calculation. So I am staying symbolic!

These are the results for 10 evaluations in round 10 with Maple. Competitive!!

rref duel.png

RREF.sm (257kb) downloaded 51 time(s).

Ok last one, for fun.. 4.33 min vs 6.30 min

another.png

Edited by user 24 May 2020 01:02:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#18 Posted : 24 May 2020 01:26:50(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

That thread is over killed, going nowhere SS 6179.

rref 6179.PNG
Offline Razonar  
#19 Posted : 24 May 2020 02:35:17(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Hi. My codes usually are very slow, but try to write them simplest as possible. As advanced users says here in the forum, speed test depends of the machine and the operating system, so usually are not comparable between different users.

Here my numeric-symbolic routine for rref, and the candidate to be a numeric one.

GaussElim.sm (189kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
GaussElim.pdf (327kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Best regards.
Alvaro.

PD: I'm not sure if it's a good idea to compare maple with smath, because maple have variable precision arithmetic, vpa, which is very good for mix symbolic and numeric results. I don't know if in version 6, maple use some lapac routine or what, when detect non-exact numbers. Usually in maple, you can set any number with a period, and then maple take it as floating point number, and call specialized numeric routines.

Edited by user 24 May 2020 02:44:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#20 Posted : 24 May 2020 03:27:35(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

rref Otherwise.PNG