Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Stargate38  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2019 18:03:27(UTC)
Stargate38

Groups: Registered
United States

I've tried installing it through the extension manager, and downloading it through my browser (followed by drag'n'drop), but I still can't get it to work. Anyone know how to fix it? I can reproduce the error quite effectively, so it's not just a one-off glitch. It just says "Plug-in failed to install" with no explanation as to why.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline alyles  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2019 18:33:48(UTC)
alyles

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 57 post(s)
What version of SMath are you running?
Feel free to join the SMath Studio Users Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/PayZpJW
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2019 19:37:23(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
So many things fail from version to versions.
IMHO, Smath does not need PDF plugin.
As fast as nice ... Print as => CutePDF => Document ID

Redox.pdf (74kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Offline Stargate38  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2019 20:02:57(UTC)
Stargate38

United States

I know I could use an external PDF maker/editor, but I want to try and get this plugin working. Here's what I get at startup:

PDF Files Plugin (Version 1.0.6953.23116), Size: 23.95MB

Method not found: 'Void SMath.Controls.RegionsList..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.List`1<SMath.Controls.RegionBase>, SMath.Manager.ContentPlacement)'.

Not sure what that 2nd line means. Huh I have Smath Studio 64-bit, version 0.99 (build: 7005), 3/7/2019.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2019 08:55:40(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
PDF plug-in was updated to work with 7005 correctly right after latest SMath Studio release.

You said you have PDF Files Plugin version 1.0.6953.23116 which is an old one (and it is incompatible with latest stable SMath Studio release).

It looks like you are using outdated version of the plug-in. From what you are saying it seems that more then one PDF plug-in installed on your system, so I could suggest to remove all versions of PDF plug-in first (it can be done using Extensions Manager - select a plug-in and use small Delete button at the bottom of the dialog). After plug-in deleted restart the app and check for PDF plug-in again. Do delete it again if it is shown in the list.
As soon as you see plug-in is missing in the list of installed ones try to install it again using Extensions Manager.

Hope this will help you. Note: plug-in works ok on fresh SMath Studio installation.

Best regards.

Edited by user 29 March 2019 08:58:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Stargate38  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2019 17:57:57(UTC)
Stargate38

United States

I went to the %AppData%\Smath\extensions\Plugins folder, searched for the extension, then deleted the folder that contained it. After that, I started Smath, dragged the zip file (Version 1.0.7016.41831) to it, and got the same exact error (Plugin installation failed), as well as the error I mentioned above (Method not found...). I've tried multiple times and it still doesn't work.

Edited by user 30 March 2019 18:01:37(UTC)  | Reason: typo in appdata directory

Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2019 21:35:37(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Stargate38 Go to Quoted Post
I went to the %AppData%\Smath\extensions\Plugins folder, searched for the extension, then deleted the folder that contained it. After that, I started Smath, dragged the zip file (Version 1.0.7016.41831) to it, and got the same exact error (Plugin installation failed), as well as the error I mentioned above (Method not found...). I've tried multiple times and it still doesn't work.

Install and delete plugins only via extension manager (tools> plugins). Never mess directly with files in the extension directory unless you know what you are doing.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Davide Carpi  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2019 15:53:36(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Hello,

The painless way to install and remove extensions is to use the graphic interface (extensions manager). If you act manually (folders manipulation) you have to be very careful, especially if you are not running the latest version (that is the beta actually), because plugins newer than the program might not work depending on the core changes, hence you have to pick the right one (the one showed by the extensions manger, that filter out the extensions made for more recent versions); I guess that to reduce issues for drag&drop users, the minimum program version should be shown in the extension page.

As for what I can see from the Extensions Manager the latest plugin version for the stable SMath Studio (0.99.7005) is the one that caused you the warnings initially (1.0.6953.23116) and seems working to me.

Close SMath Studio, go again into the %APPDATA%\SMath\extensions\plugins directory and delete the whole folder ac3d62dc-d93d-4c91-88e2-06a01fd2b5cc, then open again SS. If no error are shown, go to Tools > Plugins [Online Gallery] and install again the plugin. If you have to do manually because no internet connection, download the version 1.0.6953.23116

Edited by user 31 March 2019 15:56:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Stargate38  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2019 17:58:32(UTC)
Stargate38

United States

It worked this time. I'm not sure why, but I think my AV (Avira) was blocking it. I'll try adding the ac3d62dc-d93d-4c91-88e2-06a01fd2b5cc folder to my exceptions.

Edited by moderator 31 March 2019 18:43:43(UTC)  | Reason: marked as solved

Offline Jean Giraud  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2019 18:29:30(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

I'm not sure why, but I think my AV (Avira) was blocking it.

IMHO, what is the need for AV ? Since almost 4 years Smath runs on my
small laptop, Win 7 takes care of what could damage Win. NO AV of any kind.
No bug/problem, but try to avoid HTTP ... HTTPS is more secure.
True: my laptop is virgin of anything else than Smath.

Offline ndtma  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2019 19:06:52(UTC)
ndtma

Man
Sri Lanka

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I too had a similar problem in installing some plug-ins a few months ago.
After configuring the AV, the problems were solved.

https://en.smath.com/for...d--error.aspx#post51419.

Edited by user 31 March 2019 19:08:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Look within!... The secret is inside you.
Best Regards
Eng. NDTM Amarasekera - Sri Lanka
Offline Davide Carpi  
#12 Posted : 31 March 2019 19:09:56(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Glad it is solved :-)

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why, but I think my AV (Avira) was blocking it.

IMHO, what is the need for AV ? Since almost 4 years Smath runs on my
small laptop, Win 7 takes care of what could damage Win. NO AV of any kind.
No bug/problem, but try to avoid HTTP ... HTTPS is more secure.
True: my laptop is virgin of anything else than Smath.

Nowadays threats might comes from everywhere (I've read recently of malicious code encoded and carried in pixels of advertising banners...); of course the main antivirus should be the one between the keyboard and the screen, but having some additional layers of security, f.e. windows defender, it's much better.

p.s. https means that the communication between you and the server is encoded and less vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks (and more private), but doesn't prevents to load malicious code.

Edited by user 31 March 2019 19:12:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2019 23:13:15(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
Nowadays threats might comes from everywhere (I've read recently of malicious code encoded and carried in pixels of advertising banners...); of course the main antivirus should be the one between the keyboard and the screen, but having some additional layers of security, f.e. windows defender, it's much better.

p.s. https means that the communication between you and the server is encoded and less vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks (and more private), but doesn't prevents to load malicious code.

Davide: you can't be more right, most appreciated, thanks.
That reminds me, at least 20 years ago, about the champion killer.
*.zip were also vulnerable. Before opening anything, open the
Fred Langa rubrique. He said the "killer" would be so effective that
hovering the cursor over the name ... zap.
I'm aware of the pixel be potential infectious, just read visited sites.
In what world are we leaving ? In fact, the prediction 2012 end of the
world makes sense as it goes hay wild in many directions.
Champion killer started by "N......"