Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline reneshelle  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2016 18:21:18(UTC)
reneshelle

Groups: Registered
Denmark

Hi.

I'm a teacher and I would like for my class to use Smath. Some of my students have MacBooks, and Smath is not natively available for OS X. I have made a test enviroment on my PC (VirtualBox) and installed OS X. I have then installed PlayOnMac on OS X and installed the Windows version onto PlayOnMac. I have added some components (gdiplus, dotnet35 and msxml3) and Smath starts (after some delay) and seems to work fine. I have only tested this very basically. The gdiplus component is mandatory, but I don't know if the other two are.

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of setup?

Regards
René

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Ernesto  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2016 18:39:11(UTC)
Ernesto

Nicaragua

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I don't have a solution for you, but maybe an alternative. Does the cloud version work for your purposes?
thanks 1 user thanked Ernesto for this useful post.
on 08/04/2016(UTC)
Offline reneshelle  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2016 19:31:32(UTC)
reneshelle

Denmark

Thanks for your reply.

I have already looked at the cloud version, and I think that it to some extend it could be the way to go. There are some drawbacks though and I would prefer that we all could use the desktop version. I'm from Denmark so the danish language pack could be important for some of my students. As far as I know the cloud version does not support danish. There are also shortcuts among things that does not work (the same way) with the cloud version.
Offline reneshelle  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2016 15:07:43(UTC)
reneshelle

Denmark

I've been doing some more research into this and I think I have found out how I will pull this off.

I will make a video to my students showing them how to:
Install PlayOnMac
Install the Windows desktop version of Smath on PlayOnMac
Configure this installation in PlayOnMac to include the components gdiplus and dotnet20

This seems to work, although starting SMath takes something like 20 seconds! But when it's running it seems to run just fine.

I would still like inputs from other users on the forum if there is something I could do in a better way. I'm in no way an expert when it comes to OS X (or PlayOnMac/Wine). If somebody knows how to make the program startup faster I would love to hear that too!

Edit:
It's in danish but you should be able to follow along in another language. Important to right click when opening downloaded files the first time!

Edited by user 09 April 2016 15:47:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mark Myatt  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2018 14:18:33(UTC)
Mark Myatt

United Kingdom