Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fedeghi  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2018 11:56:54(UTC)
fedeghi

Groups: Registered
Italy

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi, as you may have noticed by my previous posts, I'm interested in using SMath Viewer as much as possible in my company.
The new header and footer functionality of Smath Studio is great for engineering documents which now have a more goodlooking way of been tagged, named and referenced to.

This tagging is not available (yet?) via SMath Viewer.
It would be good if some data placed in the header could be finalized/modified directly in Smath Viewer.

For instance, I could define some field like:
Project Code:="abcd"
Prepared by:="xyz"
Date:="xx-xx-20xx"

In the header of the master .sm file from which the .exe file is generated and distributed.
This fields would be filled directily in Viewer every time the corresponding .exe file is run for a specific project by a specific engineer in that specific day..

Ciao!
Federico

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2018 21:01:04(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedeghi Go to Quoted Post
For instance, I could define some field like:
Project Code:="abcd"Prepared by:="xyz"Date:="xx-xx-20xx"

+++ all the ones you haven't be thinking of yet.
In short: you want to compose the cartouche via the "Viewer"
[which "viewer" I have never seen because not existing in SS 6179].
... then once you have composed the "Viewer-cartouche" you want to plug that
in the page setup. All that you have it otherwise/simpler.
This typical demo: make it via "Writer Region" [matter of preference].

CartoucheVenturi.png

Offline fedeghi  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2018 23:56:34(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Jean,
the new Header Region implemented in 6884 (Clap ) does not allow to see or modify the included text when Viewer U.I. is used.
header in viewer.PNG
Info gets printed when printing directly from Viewer, so it is there in Viewer, but hidden.

Same file, in Studio: header content can of course be viewed and modified.
Header.PNG

It would be a useful feature for me, to have some control on text definitions contained in the Header also from Viewer UI.

Edited by user 15 November 2018 00:04:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jean Giraud  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2018 06:50:04(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

It would be a useful feature for me, to have some control on text definitions contained in the Header

... that you have SS6179, probably up to page width.
... probably more than ONE user, try it.
Sorry, but I don't even understand what a "viewer" is.
In Engineering, gadgets aren't needed. Easy to save the cartouche
for each client, then do all different projects he wants.
What can you add in footer ? ... "Zooloo University"

Header.PNG

Offline Jean Giraud  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2018 08:09:42(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... ±, you wish a symbol that will brings in-view "Header & Footer"
Is that ? Important for Designers to cogitate on that egg.
Offline fedeghi  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2018 12:41:27(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

It seems to me that the topic has moved a little bit from "can this be done in SMath Viewer?" to "why should you do this in SMath Viewer, in that way?", or even more deeply "why SMath Viewer?".
But since you don't have the Viewer (it is not available in SS6179 which you are using, and you write that you don't know what the Viewer is), I'm afraid we could go on for hours without understanding each others on a common ground (or maybe, is that due to my "Zooloo University" degree?).

Just to elaborate something about all that "Why(s)?"..
There are precise Quality reasons/requirements that suggest to distribute to colleagues safe and "closed" (meaning validated) calculation tools, and the .exe format offered by Viewer is an excellent tool that meets perfectly these requirements. There are other ways, for sure. Viewer is one, and works great.
Infact, it can generate an Engineering deliverable according to company design criteria, without distributing the source file of the SMath project.
Yeah, useless if you are working on your own, in your house garage or in a five people office: in that case you can keep an eye on every line of your .sm file code; but it can make the difference in a hundred people company, where you want the documents/calculation done alwyas according to "company standards", without people messing around the SMath Studio project code (meaning the .sm file).
Going further, documents need to be identified with additional data (again, that's basic Quality requirements, cannot be waived): since yesterday I used to add the required placeholders directly in the document body, so they get displayed as a simple input in SMath Viewer, works great in any case..).
But today, well, the new document Header seems even a better place, if only it could be modified in Viewer too.

For sure, the above statements could be agreed or not.
I'm a Designer, and if a look at all this Quality stuff from a Designer point of view, I would like not to bother that much with Quality Procedures, because as you say "in Engineering gadgets aren't needed".
But I'm not working on my own, I need to prepare Engineering tools for other people too, and that's exactly where Quality Procedures are heavily involved: annoying, for sure, but needed and, must admit, useful too.

So, let's try to start again from the assumption that using SMath Viewer could be useful for some users out there, and going back to the beginning...
In SMath Viewer user interface, newly available (SS6884) custom Header and Footer data cannot be modified, up to now.
Hopefully, they will be accessible in the future from Viewer itself.

Federico

Edited by user 15 November 2018 12:46:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2018 13:52:40(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Interesting. To summarize it:

- have custom field type;
- make possible to edit custom fields from the viewer;

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
[which "viewer" I have never seen because not existing in SS 6179].

This is not correct; SMath Viewer feature exists and is built-in in any version since SS 0.96.4868.

SMath Viewer files are the executables created using "*exe" format in the "Save as..." menu, and are thinked as a way to share a small executable with a comfortable user interface to the "Average Joe" outside here (no needs to download SMath Studio and learn how to use it, just common input items such as textboxes, dropdown menu, etc...; all the magic made in smath by you, hidden under the hood).

You can see more in the wiki: https://smath.info/wiki/Viewer.ashx Good

Edited by user 15 November 2018 15:55:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Jean Giraud  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2018 19:55:42(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

There are precise Quality reasons/requirements that suggest to distribute to colleagues safe and "closed" (meaning validated) calculation tools, and the .exe format offered by Viewer is an excellent tool that meets perfectly these requirements. There are other ways, for sure. Viewer is one, and works great.
Infact, it can generate an Engineering deliverable according to company design criteria, without distributing the source file of the SMath project.

That's what we did before Windows age and compatible applications.
The last big project I was involved, all the "Instrument" stuff were listed by category:
1. Temperature ... 2. Flow ... 3. Valves ... etc.
For each, the list followed an order from right to left =>
Item ID, Flow sheet #, Fluid, Operating condition, Installation DWG, Model,,,,

Smath viewer does nothing for me. Open the attached document, you should see the
Table with all results. As you read further, my understanding of the "Viewer"
is explained ... a plugin to be designed, i.e: a sub-sheet Smath as "Viewer"
an effective tool adapted to Company/Client Procedure.
At that point, the option for the "Time Stamp" [Universal local time] from
the running machine, would be desirable [Display ON-OFF].

Thanks Davide, Federico ... Jean

Viewer_jmG.sm (25kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
Offline fedeghi  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2018 00:11:37(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

I see: with your approach you can share the results separately from the .sm file which generated them.
The link button in your .SM file, I would not know how to define the link to a subsheet. Am I missing some related plugin?

My need is slighlty different, since I need to distribute the tools themselves , not only the results, to allow people to generate new results (with different input data), so that anybody can run new calculations according to a defined (yet unknown for him...) procedure, which he can't accidentally ruin..

Now, I can't upload an .exe example via SMath forum, so I'm sharing a dropbox link to the .exe file, in case you're interested in seeing the kind of tools I'm referring to.

Still did not have time to finalize this file though; infact, hiding of undesired outputs has not been finalized,, every description is still in italian, logo is missing, and all that Quality stuff we discussed above is missing too... (this file was more of an excercise for me)

volume fondi.PNG

By the way: common but annoing task, to define liquid volume in horizontal pressure vessels as a function of geometry and liquid height.
A lot of charts are available out there for specific shapes of dished heads and specific diameters, but sometimes having the analytical tool can help.

To see a pdf of the underlying code, just print it to pdf.

Ciao
Federico

ps: I hope linking to an external file in dropbox is not violating any Forum rule, but in case... moderators, feel free to delete it and curse me in various ways
Offline Razonar  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2018 00:21:24(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Was thanked: 815 time(s) in 516 post(s)
Hi Federico. Very interesting! SMath in the real world. Can you share also the .sm file?

Chau (ciao in "uruguayan", we use that for good by, but not for hello)
Alvaro

P.D.: You can upload zip files in this forum.
Offline fedeghi  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2018 00:35:33(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Originally Posted by: Razonar Go to Quoted Post
Hi Federico. Very interesting! SMath in the real world. Can you share also the .sm file?

Chau (ciao in "uruguayan", we use that for good by, but not for hello)
Alvaro

P.D.: You can upload zip files in this forum.

No problem, will upload it tomorrow morning from the office: the .SM file is in a different server, can't login from home.
thanks 1 user thanked fedeghi for this useful post.
on 16/11/2018(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2018 01:17:10(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

By the way: common but annoing task, to define liquid volume in horizontal pressure vessels as a function of geometry and liquid height.
A lot of charts are available out there for specific shapes of dished heads and specific diameters, but sometimes having the analytical tool can help.

...peanut task by the click of the finger.
For the end shape, you can refer to TEMA [Tubular Exchange Manufacturer Association].
Cylindrical thanks follows some standards up here, standards depending upon pressure.
From the standard, you have the geometry of the ends, from there spline/integrate.
Usually, they are elliptical shape, even easier.
The all matter is to measure the perpendicular distance [H] from the center chord to
the bottom, and the ID and apply the c(H) approximation 5 decimals ...
Formula used to tabulate area of circular segment in TEMA and Prerry-Chilton.

Not sure about Viewer and what it should do for any user ?
End shape(s) not given in the attached.

Jean

Inst_Segment Partial Random.sm (43kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Offline fedeghi  
#13 Posted : 16 November 2018 23:34:56(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Can you share also the .sm file?

Hi Alvaro, here attached the sm file
VOLUMI SERBATOI ORIZZONTALI-V180831.sm (120kb) downloaded 65 time(s).

Federico

ps: we are far enough from the original topic; in case this needs to be moved into some other forum, please let me know (even if this Work in Progress file only uses basic functions with no sofisticated implementation, so I don't think it is eligible for the "Samples" subforum)
thanks 1 user thanked fedeghi for this useful post.
on 17/11/2018(UTC)
Offline Razonar  
#14 Posted : 17 November 2018 01:51:54(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

Hi Alvaro, here attached the sm file
VOLUMI SERBATOI ORIZZONTALI-V180831.sm (120kb) downloaded 65 time(s).

Hi Federico. Thanks very much. This file help me to understand better the direction that SMath take in the relationship with qa procedures in real example. SMath documents can be printed from the exe file but isn't clear to me before your post how it relates with the internal formats and enterprise documents.

Best regards
Alvaro
Offline fedeghi  
#15 Posted : 17 November 2018 20:02:15(UTC)
fedeghi

Italy

Hi Federico. Thanks very much. This file help me to understand better the direction that SMath take in the relationship with qa procedures in real example. SMath documents can be printed from the exe file but isn't clear to me before your post how it relates with the internal formats and enterprise documents.
Best regards
Alvaro

Unforntunately the example I posted is not finalized in terms of document tagging, as I wrote above.
On Monday if you want I can find something which is "in production".

In any case, very simply, apart from the numbering convention itself of the final document, which varies from company to company and has weak qc requirements (while businness requirements may be very rigid..), the minimum qc requirements would be:
  • Author (and for some class of documents, reviewer and approver).
  • Document revision
  • Document date
  • Calculation template (.exe file in our case...) version and name
  • Author of the calculation template

• Last but not least, very important (even if not tracked in the templates) for ISO certification, and one of the most disregarded requirement:.... software test cases to prove the correct and robust implementation.
    This is the area where I need to focus the more in future
Offline Razonar  
#16 Posted : 20 November 2018 12:25:53(UTC)
Razonar

Uruguay

• Last but not least, very important (even if not tracked in the templates) for ISO certification, and one of the most disregarded requirement:.... software test cases to prove the correct and robust implementation.
    This is the area where I need to focus the more in future[/list]

• Hi Federico. Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. About qa, upgrading and checking. I prefer the use of "external libraries", even I talk about small files with some few custom functions, like rk or nr solvers, instead of having them into collapsed areas. Also, I prefer native functions over plugins. Say that, I actually don't investigate how can use the include plugin with smath viewer. But guess that it could be more efficient way for quality control procedures, regarding certifications. And, finally, smath have some powerful way for check changes in files (and I'm not an expert doing that, but guess that others can help you implementing it, and with windows scripts seems to be a very natural way), which could be use for upgrading the smath version and check the files if have the same answer values, but guess that it can be extended to the case of the software test that you mention.

Best regards.
    Alvaro.
    Offline Jean Giraud  
    #17 Posted : 20 November 2018 18:32:57(UTC)
    Jean Giraud

Canada

• Author (and for some class of documents, reviewer and approver).
  • Document revision
  • Document date

• All that is a document by itself ... more/more wrt ISO.
    The all thing is simply Project Tracability from a => z