Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Boorgatspook  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2010 17:29:03(UTC)
Boorgatspook

Groups: Registered

Hi , I would like to know if there is a way to get work done in SMath into Microsoft Word to format so that it can go into a report on the calculations done.

If not is there other formatting software that can be used i.e. Latex. Prefferably I would like to do it in Word as I am familiar with this.

Adriaan

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline oscampo  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2010 17:49:43(UTC)
oscampo

Man
Colombia

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Hi Adriaan,
You can use "save as" in SMath Studio and save you work in *.htm, *.html, *.png, *.bmp, *.gif, and/or *.jpg format. Then, you can paste in your Word document.

Regards,

Oscar Campo
Offline Boorgatspook  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2010 18:04:05(UTC)
Boorgatspook

Thanks a lot. That makes my life much easier.

Regards Adriaan
Offline keving  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2010 19:31:30(UTC)
keving

I love SMath and pasting the results into Microsoft Word is also something I would like to do.

I tried the suggestions above and none of them really works for me. For example when I save as HTML and paste into a Word document the page layout is lost. Equations which were side by side in Smath become one big long list in Word. I think the problem stems from Word's insistence on rigidly defined columns whereas SMath is more like a white board where blocks can be put anywhere. In any case I have not yet been able to import the output of SMath into Word while retaining page layout using either HTML or graphics formats.

If any use knows a better way to do this I would love to hear but in the meantime here is a work around that I have used: Print directly from SMath to a PDF file. There are a few free programs that allow this but I use Primopdf. Open the PDF in your reader of choice and use the camera tool to cut and paste the pdf page as an image directly into your Word document.
Offline maweilian  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2010 19:57:52(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Smath is intended to be an application that allows for easy-to-read documentation of calculations. The BEST solution is to publish your calculations completely from Smath, not MS Word. Pasting to MS Word means that you cannot recalculate the results in your document. The power of Smath is that you can produce easy-to-read, publishable documents that can be reused, recalculated, and reprinted.

However, I realize that Smath's font control and word-processing capabilities leave alot to be desired. But I know that Andrey will be working to improve Smath in this area. I am hoping to see a font control dialog added before too long. I think development effort should be focused on improving Smath's word-processing and font control features rather than the ability to cut-and-paste into other programs.

For a short-term solution, I think that a screenshot application might work for you.

The application I use is:
ScreenPrint & Capture 32

It allows you to capture a user-defined part of your screen and export that to jpg or whatever image format you like. Use Smath to do your calculations (be sure to turn off the background grid) and then use the screen shot software to create an image of the equations. These images can then be inserted into your Word document.

Hope this helps.

Edited by user 22 November 2010 20:06:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline keving  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2010 20:56:58(UTC)
keving

Thanks Will, that screen capture tool should save me a step. No need to copy to PDF anymore.

I'm not sure I agree with your dismissal of Word compatibility however. Calculations very rarely exist in a vacuum. Most of the calculations I read come at the end of pages of text and diagrams. SMath will never be able to compete with a full blown word processors so why should it try. Why not use a full word processor like Word or Open office for the text heavy part of a document and then paste in the calculations from SMath? You can still keep the Smath file so you can update the figures if necessary.

I realise of course that SMATH is an incredible piece of free software and I am delighted to accept whatever Andrey chooses to give us. What I am really hoping for is that some other users of SMath will figure out a more elegant way of getting output into Word (or Open Office) than I am currently using.